Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched it. ****ing dribbler
Complete cherry picking too, if anything we were too reckless trying to go through the middle and moving it on with the handball game. There are definitely still some question marks on us and Longmuir but anyone can see things have changed with the game style in the last month

Complete cherry picking too, if anything we were too reckless trying to go through the middle and moving it on with the handball game. There are definitely still some question marks on us and Longmuir but anyone can see things have changed with the game style in the last month

“I don’t even want to watch Fremantle games they’re so boring”.

Missed the first half you gormless wank?

Get out of the media then you useless campaigner

I reckon in 3-4 minute piece on the Dockers, Kingy brought up 4 stats which already isn’t great. But what makes it worse is that they were the most meaningless stats you will ever see. Cue rant/takedown.

We are currently 5th in uncontested marks. The teams around us are West Coast (I think can’t remember this one), the Saints, the Dogs and the Swans. King goes “If you take out the Swans, they’re with struggling teams”. No shit mate. However those 5 teams are all across the ladder. It basically has no correlation with performance.

King also goes that the Dockers play in the NET overall lowest scoring games, NET lowest I50s per game and something similar. This stat, and I can’t emphasise it enough, says nothing. Doing a quick eyeball of the 2023 ladder, combining points for and against to assess the teams involved with the highest NET scoring games. The teams that stood out:

Port Adelaide
West Coast

Yet again, you clearly cannot draw any conclusions from this stat. You can’t tell whether a team will be good or bad. King suggests that as the team involved with the lowest net scores, we’re struggling. But one of the teams involved with the highest net scoring last year claimed the spoon.

The worst part of all of this is there is so much that could be analysed. Obviously Fremantle don’t score much but you could look at a pie chart for premiership teams and where they get their goals and compare with the Dockers and see where the lack. Is it everywhere or is it in one specific area (goals from smalls etc). Dockers fans would’ve tuned in to try and understand where the game was won or lost. And they will take nothing from that First Crack segment. And that is a disgrace

King also goes that the Dockers play in the NET overall lowest scoring games, NET lowest I50s per game and something similar. This stat, and I can’t emphasise it enough, says nothing. Doing a quick eyeball of the 2023 ladder, combining points for and against to assess the teams involved with the highest NET scoring games. The teams that stood out:

Scores in our games are generally low because we have a great defence, and a crap offence. I don't think it even really has much to do with the gameplan as this point. Would he be happy if we conceded 100 points each week?

Scores in our games are generally low because we have a great defence, and a crap offence. I don't think it even really has much to do with the gameplan as this point. Would he be happy if we conceded 100 points each week?
That’s pretty much what he’s saying, it’s boring because vic teams don’t smash us every week

When you have to repeat over and over again that you don't have a personal vendetta, then it is a sure sign that you actually do.

I don't think King even watches our games. All he does is get some work experience kid to tee up a few videos of us chipping the ball around.

What will he say if we beat Melbourne? Who are essentially the same team as us, just with more experience and less handballling. Yet he will laud them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry but I agree with King
The way we played all game was stagnant then when we finally realised we needed to go hard and WIN the game we attack like our lives depended on it.
It really frustrates the hell out of me.

The way we played all game was stagnant then when we finally realised we needed to go hard and WIN the game we attack like our lives depended on it.
I think that says more about you than it does King.

What is it you wanted the team to do?
You can't operate in that mode all game, it just isn't sustainable.
I don't think we were stagnant for a lot of the game, in the third we just couldn't win the ball back, couldn't take a contested mark and got stuck in our D50.
It wasn't due to the gameplan though, we tried to take territory and then couldn't win the next contest even if we got it over the line.

When you have to repeat over and over again that you don't have a personal vendetta, then it is a sure sign that you actually do.

I don't think King even watches our games. All he does is get some work experience kid to tee up a few videos of us chipping the ball around.

What will he say if we beat Melbourne? Who are essentially the same team as us, just with more experience and less handballling. Yet he will laud them.
It so is a vendetta and we should all call the idiot out. Notice he doesn’t bake his ex teammate from down the road? Sometimes I think it’s a deflection tactic as well

I think that says more about you than it does King.

What is it you wanted the team to do?
You can't operate in that mode all game, it just isn't sustainable.
I don't think we were stagnant for a lot of the game, in the third we just couldn't win the ball back, couldn't take a contested mark and got stuck in our D50.
It wasn't due to the gameplan though, we tried to take territory and then couldn't win the next contest even if we got it over the line.
It says alot about most freo supporters I know. I want us to punish teams, when was our last win like say Adelaide's win yesterday? It doesn't happen because our game plan doesn't allow it.
The important thing king said was that chip it around in the back line thing does not work in big finals, that is jl's whole coaching philosophy. Friday night proves we can play a manic style of footy which is encouraging, I want to see it more.

It says alot about most freo supporters I know. I want us to punish teams, when was our last win like say Adelaide's win yesterday? It doesn't happen because our game plan doesn't allow it.
The important thing king said was that chip it around in the back line thing does not work in big finals, that is jl's whole coaching philosophy. Friday night proves we can play a manic style of footy which is encouraging, I want to see it more.
The team we played on Friday seem to do the same and they just won a flag. How many tight matches did they play in. They play sustained pressure football and if they get behind, they flick the switch but they don’t do it from go to woe. This is a more seasoned team with players that can probably go a bit longer, plus they don’t have the “luxury” of playing off 5-6 day breaks after travel.

“The important thing king said was that chip it around in the back line thing does not work in big finals, that is jl's whole coaching philosophy.”

My problem with Kings segment isn’t really his opinion, but that he fails to justify it in any way. He provides no evidence for that quote to be true in any way. However he states it like it’s an objective truth.

We started very explosively, then Collingwood closed us down. We started the way we ended.

Actually the reason we are relatively low scoring I think, aside from the game plan being still immature, is because of where we zone up. All the teams play more or less the same structure; but the more 'attacking' ones push their zones up high into the opposition's defense looking for turnovers more often. We sit deeper more and will roll back more quickly*. This means your possession chains have to be longer to score (meaning less scores) on average, but you conceed less scores because you can defend turnover better.

Anyway point is with my zone position theory, I don't have access to the data and vision that would help me validate it or otherwise. King does to build whatever analysis he likes: He would rather shoehorn base stats off the first page into his feels narrative because he is a lazy idiot.

*Personally I'm more or less happy with our where our style seems to be evolving too; which is a solid defense with powerfull direct counter attacking as the base, but able to exploit scoring opportunities when on top of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back