Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Comben is a better back than he is a forward more than Logue is a better back than he is a forward…

Logue was serviceable-decent last year. Comben has been pretty incredible at CHB this year.

Play Logue as a forward, at least until we can bring someone in better.
Pretty sure the word on the street over here was that Log wasn't a fan of playing forward and when we came with an offer to play full-time in the backline he jumped at it.

Being a Perth boy he probably wouldn't have left if he could've stayed in his pet position.

After listening to Clarkos presser yesterday, l hate to say this, but you may be right Nostradamus. Clarko said Chom might be going back to playing forward at a later date...
I can understand why, given Double Ds, Corr and Logue while we're screaming out for an extra marking option forward.

That said Corr is 30 and takes ages to get up to speed after any extended injury, Logue will take the rest of the season to get back into the swing and Will is just a pup. Plus Chom's intercept marking back there is A grade.

I thought that Comben looked very good up forward. He looks better down back, though.

He's not going to kick 60 goals but he brought a lot of pressure and had a bit of gravity as a marking target.

My thing is that Maley can probably almost do what Comben can as a forward (although I can't speak to Maley's tackling and pursuit). Put him in there if you just need a marking presence.

God, I'd love a little pest of a small forward, though. Someone with a bit of attitude and energy who brings tackling pressure and puts the fear into back men when the ball hits the deck.

This is a limited understanding what goal production requires and what is holding us back from scoring.

Which isn't to say I'm opposed to Comben playing defence.

Believe me I understand, we desperately need a half decent CHF to straighten us up, but people on here are overrating Comben's impact as a forward.

Believe me I understand, we desperately need a half decent CHF to straighten us up, but people on here are overrating Comben's impact as a forward.

It's not just straightening. It's dragging some heat from Larkey. It's halving aerial stuff, so we're not picked off on slow play consistently and having to defend the ground from intercept marks against for 2 hours each week.

I thought that Comben looked very good up forward. He looks better down back, though.

He's not going to kick 60 goals but he brought a lot of pressure and had a bit of gravity as a marking target.

My thing is that Maley can probably almost do what Comben can as a forward (although I can't speak to Maley's tackling and pursuit). Put him in there if you just need a marking presence.

God, I'd love a little pest of a small forward, though. Someone with a bit of attitude and energy who brings tackling pressure and puts the fear into back men when the ball hits the deck.
Maley 1 mark in the VFL on the weekend. Not the answer.

We've seen Comben play less than 10 games as a forward, i think his impact as a forward would be similar to others in their first 10 games of AFL footy. Some of his games at VFL level were pretty good as a forward.
In saying that he looks really comfortable down back and I'm happy for him to continue in that role, at least for now.

Lets reassess it at the end of the year.

Well firstly Dermie is careful with his words, now it's a stretch to say he was a Spicer fan, I think he said there was something to work with. Which would have been his pace. He said similar of Hansen Jnr.

He said of Comben that he will end up at as KPF, due to them not coming around that often. He loves his attack, power and aggression. At one stage when the commentary were falling over themselves re Walter and one suggested Comben best be careful as Walter got in his face, Dermie sfellowed at said, yeah not sure Charlie is going to be worried by that.
Dermie knows his s**t.

So while I'm fine with Charlie getting games anywhere, anyone who put a line through him as a KPF is a dill, such a small sample and it was after years of hardly playing. And what he did achieve in that brief stint is not allow our opponents easy marks. That was noted by most of the board. This will then bring the smaller types into the game.

Now I will tell you and anyone, it is well known that Comben can mark, so part of any opposition clubs tatics will be to ensure he's covered.
Not thinking they put any effort into the likes of CCJ and Co.
Thanks and yes I think he said Spicer was in a good position or something (which he was). Don't think we give up on CC as a forward given still low on AFL experience.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maley is at least 2-3 years away from having any hope of a serious impact - at best IMO. We need a solution pretty much now / ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Blight is the right pick in the MSD. Looked like he was playing in concrete boots in the 2nd half of WA v SA state game.

My boy Jez McLennan won best on ground again. Won the bog against Vic too.

I’d love for us to pick him up.
I only saw 2nd half also. He doesn't impress but just saw this. WAFL.COM

WAFL – Goals: Murdock 2; Sokol, Ruscoe, Keitel.
Best: Murdock, Eardley, Blight, Teakle, Rogers, J Turner, Schumacher, Pearson.

Hope Flynn gets another crack at AFL footy. He showed promise before the injuries.

Haven't watched him play at all recently, but if I recall correctly, we liked Trent Bianco in his draft year. Probably not the profile of player we're looking at in this MSD though.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Go and watch Tom Hawkins, King Bros, Larkey in their first 15 games up forward.

Give the guy a break. Agree I prefer him back but you can’t say he won’t be an A grader up forward.

Josh Bruce kicked 50 goals in a season twice.

Josh Jenkins also says hi, as does 2
Metre Peter.

Yeah we did but he is 2 pre-seasons away from being a consistent AFL player. We were expecting Goater to play a big role there this year, but obviously he is sitting on the pine. Having another mature ager back there who has a bit more composure than Fisher and who can actually defend would be very beneficial imo.
Thoughts on Hardiman?

We were obviously trying to get Wilson with that pick.

Do you think Riley has what it takes to be a long termer of half back for us?

Must have missed yesterday's game. Langford has been killing it and was kept in theory goalless if hadn't been for the Sheez kick and whatever Scott was doing.... yes corr isn't up to 1st or 2nd but whenever is the 3rd string he is more than capable

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes Corr had an excellent game.

What did Dermott say? He was also a Spicer fan.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's what make Dermie likeable,,,,,,he is the ONLY footy commentator who has an appreciation of all players talents and strengths, and doesn't relentlessly focus on their limitations. He is a genuine footy fan who appreciates highlights.

Comben is not going back to fwd, not after that melb game. He is just starting to settle in defense, 10 games in a roll, longest streak of any he has done in his 4 year career with another 13 to go.

As for secondary key fwd, we might not get one so the next best thing is get 5 small pressure fwd that can feed off larkey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back