Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I dislike Brisbane so happy to see them go down.
Past 5 years they have been 3x top 2, another top 4 and 6th, yet it is difficult to recall them ever looking scary good.
They have consistently rolled over the top of mid-table teams late in games but become a bit of a rabble when exposed to any sustained pressure, as was demonstrated last night.
They have a strong, capable list, still well within the window, but I suspect the game has moved past Fagan.
He has done a great job rebuilding the club after his wooden spoon in ‘17 but it might be time for some fresh ideas.

Past 5 years they have been 3x top 2, another top 4 and 6th, yet it is difficult to recall them ever looking scary good.
They have consistently rolled over the top of mid-table teams late in games but become a bit of a rabble when exposed to any sustained pressure, as was demonstrated last night.
They have a strong, capable list, still well within the window, but I suspect the game has moved past Fagan.
He has done a great job rebuilding the club after his wooden spoon in ‘17 but it might be time for some fresh ideas.
I probably only saw 5/8s of the game but I did see a lot of dropped marks by Brisbane forwards that were very easy. You can't pin that on the coach

I probably only saw 5/8s of the game but I did see a lot of dropped marks by Brisbane forwards that were very easy. You can't pin that on the coach

I’m not blaming the coach for a few dropped marks at all.
My post addressed his entire reign and is based on my observations over that period.
You think that opinion is unfair, offer an alternative.

Last edited:
I’m not blaming the coach for a few dropped marks at all.
My post addressed his entire reign and is based on my observations over that period.
You think that opinion is unfair, offer an alternative.
I don't think it is unfair. Their system relys on forwards scoring and when they don't score, they get exposed

i think there have been several individual games where they have looked "scary good" but their problem over that period was that they would rarely reproduce that over a run of games, and in fact would come out and look terrible in defeat to much lesser sides
rayner and hipwood, among others, are quite symbolic of the lions ... they can look like superstars one week, then go several games without having any impact

i think there have been several individual games where they have looked "scary good" but their problem over that period was that they would rarely reproduce that over a run of games, and in fact would come out and look terrible in defeat to much lesser sides
rayner and hipwood, among others, are quite symbolic of the lions ... they can look like superstars one week, then go several games without having any impact

I think Fagan may have run his race. Even though they ran the Pies very close they had and still have a more talented team.

If Fagan moves on would Buckley be tempted to return to his first Club?

I think either Longmire or Fagan would be the leading candidates for the Tassie position.

Interesting idea.

Have no idea what Robbie Fox wants to do post playing career but he would be an ideal candidate for a development or assistant coaching gig if he returned to Tassie.

With his teaching background, having really fought for his own career plus coming from a decent outfit I reckon he could make a terrific contribution to the new team.

The Lions v Pies game was terrible in the first half. Both sides turned the ball over again & again. It improved in the second half for Pies but Lions had plenty of the ball but constantly turned it over. Sure Lions get plenty of forward entries but at least 90% are long bombs to absolutely no advantage at all. Fagan talked about giving up too much score & last night his backs were a bit loose. But Fagan hs to take responsibility, which he hasn't, for putting Zorko on Hill. That was idiocy. Zorko is an attacking defender not a shut down player. It took Hill kicking 3 goals to have him moved. Then there was the structure of the forward line. Three talls. Forte is a ruckman not a forward.

The other glaring problem the Lions had was that their mids still hang back and they get punished out the back. In other words, their work rate is ordinary & they do not like to defend. Same with their forwards. I don't know how many times Daicos was allowed to run an get multiple possessions without a Lions forward anywhere near him. At one stage you could still see his opponent standing at HF. If the Lions continue to play like this they won't win too many & Fagan will only get crankier.

Interesting idea.

Have no idea what Robbie Fox wants to do post playing career but he would be an ideal candidate for a development or assistant coaching gig if he returned to Tassie.

With his teaching background, having really fought for his own career plus coming from a decent outfit I reckon he could make a terrific contribution to the new team.
Really good thought. Horse is such a good people person he would be ideal to meld existing players from different clubs plus a large draft group. A new challenge too might suit him too.
Fox has some good leadership attributes and high standards as well as his teaching quals so he would be a great catch.
Seems Fagan and Chris Scott are favoured. 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ben McKay we’ve known and love is back. Missed a set shot on goal directly in front

Remove this Banner Ad

Back