NFL 2024 - Off-Season Player/Coach Updates and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Dallas signing a Center
For those new to the NFL who may be missing the subtle sarcasm by AJ_2000 - here is a little recap of ol mate Zeke's current last play as a Cowboy...

I'm in the season feels short at 16, but long at 17 camp.

It's a ticking time bomb with star players and injuries just waiting to cruel your season.

18 Absolutely need a 2nd bye and it should lead in to Thursday night football so it's 3 games over a 4 week period. Stop the crush of games for time off and short turnarounds.

The bummer tho is that the off-season is loooooooong. A longer pre-season and reg season schedule would mean a month shorter off-season at least.

Injuries cruel every season, maybe they can have a pitch count of sorts. That way teams actually have to use their whole 53, including the backup QBs (gives them game experience, can be developed)

Ol mate GG has inspired me. Hear me out.

What about an 18 week regular season...

but...

each team only plays once a fortnight?

So the regular season actually runs over 36 calendar weeks???

Yes that would stretch out the length of time we have to watch David Tepper's team suck every year - but apart from that!!

Comedy Central Idea GIF by Drunk History

Ol mate GG has inspired me. Hear me out.

What about an 18 week regular season...

but...

each team only plays once a fortnight?

So the regular season actually runs over 36 calendar weeks???

Yes that would stretch out the length of time we have to watch David Tepper's team suck every year - but apart from that!!

Comedy Central Idea GIF by Drunk History
Get rid of the 17th game.

First three rounds....all divisional games....all the AFC teams play their games one week, all the NFC teams play the following week.

Next four rounds....all inter-divisional intra-conference games.....all the AFC teams play their games one week, all the NFC teams play the following week.

Next two rounds....all the seeded inra-conference games (1st West vs 1st East, etc)....again, AFC plays one week, NFC the following week.

Next four rounds....all the inter-conference games, AFC vs NFC....half the games played one week, the other half the following week.

Next three rounds.....all the return leg divisional games....AFC one week NFC the following.

32 weeks of 16 round season.

Then playoffs start, played as per usual.

Sounds like McAfee is trying to get Belichick on his show every monday for the season.

That would be must viewing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First three rounds....all divisional games....all the AFC teams play their games one week, all the NFC teams play the following week.

Next four rounds....all inter-divisional intra-conference games.....all the AFC teams play their games one week, all the NFC teams play the following week.

Next two rounds....all the seeded inra-conference games (1st West vs 1st East, etc)....again, AFC plays one week, NFC the following week.

Next four rounds....all the inter-conference games, AFC vs NFC....half the games played one week, the other half the following week.

Next three rounds.....all the return leg divisional games....AFC one week NFC the following.

I've long said the NFL needs an in season comp like the FA Cup. To give some incentive for garbage teams to not just tank forever but try to upset some power teams.

The NBA In Season comp is pretty close to what an equivalent NFL comp might look like, with maybe the two best CFL teams, the USFL/XFL whatever and the EuroFL champs added as part of the play in draw.

Nah, the more I think about it, the more I just really like drawing the NFL regular season out - have every team play once a fortnight, but just have 8 actual games each week.

Much less wear and tear and travel impacts for players, easier to program fan special trips and crowd events, easier to adjust for bad weather events.

Plus actually makes it easier to avoid overlapping critical games, helps focus each game on the actual contest, and means the casual fan f*cks right off.

I actually reckon my idea is ******* genius, seriously, just like when I said on the podcast a few years back that I thought we'd have a bunch of QB1 transactions (over 20) but fuey Brasher J Shuttlesworth and others all poo pooed me.

I was right but, that year we had 23 QB transactions and have had more every year since...

Playing fortnightly is an interesting concept but wouldn't work, the main reason is that you're going to have a mix of teams playing off a 1 week / 2 weeks / 3 weeks between games - unless you revamped the scheduling and just made it conference based ( NFC one week and AFC the next).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back