Fixture 2024 Official Fixture Whinge

Remove this Banner Ad

Devils advocate here. The reason we are getting tough draws is because the AFL know we will be ok in the not too distant future. We don't need handouts, we have a great culture now and a history of success. There not worried about us. Soon we will rise again. Chalk and cheese with Norf who they are very worried about hence the handouts hence the piss easy fixture. Not all that bothered at all TBH. I'll be attending as many games as I can.

We are flush with cash, investing in a new training facility, why would the afl do us any favours?
Pretty much what my post was about. They think we will be fine because we have proved it over decades. We will get our primetime chances back again as early as 2025.

Certainly looks like we got dudded but i never take to much stock in the fixture as teams from year to year drop in form or gain form so we wont know how good the fixture is until 5-6 games into 2024

No Thursday and Friday games work perfectly for me because i can take my son to more games :)

Not great revenue wise for the club though
We don't need the revenue as much as other clubs. Sure we will take it if it's on offer but it's really not a doom and gloom scenario. We can make the Saturday Arvo slot our own this year. It's primetime for people out having food and drinks at the pub. We will get plenty of viewers.

Not sure what is considered “prime time”, but I miss getting those Saturday night home games at the MCG. :(

Consensus is the Thursday and Friday night games are prime time. Presuming the ratings aren’t as impressive on the Saturday nights.

No, no. This isn't the place to realise other teams have copped a tough draw for finishing at the bottom of the ladder. Please stick to the approved woe is us style of messaging please.
There are some posters who’ll throw the toys out of the cot even if we win a flag and their preferred player doesn’t win the norm.

However it’s fine to be objective and honest and and have a discussion about things. Shutting down the debate about it and dismissing anyone who doesn’t think it’s an amazing fixture is also pointless.

I think it’s a really poor fixture but am certainly not waving the white flag. The quirks of the uneven, commercially compromised afl landscape means some clubs cop it more than others, and that’s us this year.

There are some posters who’ll throw the toys out of the cot even if we win a flag and their preferred player doesn’t win the norm.

However it’s fine to be objective and honest and and have a discussion about things. Shutting down the debate about it and dismissing anyone who doesn’t think it’s an amazing fixture is also pointless.

I think it’s a really poor fixture but am certainly not waving the white flag. The quirks of the uneven, commercially compromised afl landscape means some clubs cop it more than others, and that’s us this year.
If we win a flag it'll just be plastering over the cracks.....

Consensus is the Thursday and Friday night games are prime time. Presuming the ratings aren’t as impressive on the Saturday nights.
Having to share Saturday night with another team could play a part in that. Could be more people watching overall but split between two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love me some objectivity. I don’t so much love people who are just making s**t up, resort to conspiracy theories and can’t concede they got something wrong.

I’m also not shutting down debate - but if people say s**t that is absurdly wrong then I’ll call them on it.

The draw isn’t perfect but it’s also not the hellscape some are pointing it out to be in my opinion. I get to watch some really cracking games at the MCG this year and not subjected to twilight games against the likes of the Suns or GWS. From a member perspective it’s one of the better draws in years - lots of Saturday arvo games at the G against big clubs. Being that my son endured an entire game last year I’m stoked I get to try and take him to some Saturday arvo games rather than there be a Sunday twilight game every home game spaced out every 4 weeks. Last year was a horrible fixture for members with crazy gaps between MCG games. This year is a vast improvement so I’m happy with that.

Last edited:
It was mentioned at the PCM by one of the coaches, from memory, that Moorey keeps a record of everyone that denigrates the group and talks down their capability and future.

It was mentioned at the PCM by one of the coaches, from memory, that Moorey keeps a record of everyone that denigrates the group and talks down their capability and future.
It's a form of tanking. (This is my catch cry for everything from now on.)

Kick a behind.. It's a form of tanking. It used to be "He's on Hansie's payroll."

the office bj novak GIF

For me, probably in relation to the Tassie licence, this fixture says Dingley needs to become a 25k boutique stadium. As frivolous as it sounds, it’s 5-6 games a year where we have a massive advantage and that part of Melbourne could actually do with a venue these days. I’m sure StFailda and Melbourne would eventually wind up trying to used it

For me, probably in relation to the Tassie licence, this fixture says Dingley needs to become a 25k boutique stadium. As frivolous as it sounds, it’s 5-6 games a year where we have a massive advantage and that part of Melbourne could actually do with a venue these days. I’m sure StFailda and Melbourne would eventually wind up trying to used it
Are you saying we should have a boutique stadium that won't be able to service all the members?

Are you saying we should have a boutique stadium that won't be able to service all the members?
Yes. Maybe 25k is a bit small. But just about every club currently has this problem. Playing at Marvel creates that problem. The MCG not big enough for Collingwood and Richmond members.

Edit. I don’t mean to lose the MCG, I mean to play interstate game or Norf

Last edited:
Terrible fixture glad I am in the UK where time slots mean sweet FA!
Am in the UK - time slots mean everything. Any twilight/evening games mean I can wake up at a respectable hour and still watch the game. The early afternoon games are at 3-4am start which means I miss them.
Can't wait for more evening games in the future to save my sleep pattern

Am in the UK - time slots mean everything. Any twilight/evening games mean I can wake up at a respectable hour and still watch the game. The early afternoon games are at 3-4am start which means I miss them.
Can't wait for more evening games in the future to save my sleep pattern
I use watchafl and simply avoid social media and watch the replay with beers at a respectable hour…for beers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back