Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Pitt was the better ruckman last night... some people just don't like the unsexy players
Than TDK? Sure, but he got plenty of looks. Gawn was the best ruck on the ground by a country mile.

And here I thought 'sexy' ruckwork was the whole reason he was in the team.
Did you want Kennedy to play full back? They used their talls to take weitering away from full back to play through petracca banking on winning stoppage when TDK was in the ruck. Yes we spent too many tickets and yes we shut down way too early but Kennedy dominated petracca they moved him to full time forward. Need more run from durdin Newman Hewett Martin etc.
I didn't want Kennedy in the team. McGovern coughed up one of those goals to Petracca through a horrific brain fade while chasing an intercept.

I just assumed Kennedy returned to pressuring Petracca at the stoppage, but he absolutely was off the chain in terms of spread away from the stoppage. We had no direct counter to him, and this is a common occurrence because most teams recognise you want a good strength/speed mix in your stoppage rotations.

We need more run full stop, not just existing players lifting. This is why I keep pointing at Newman, Boyd, Motlop, Durdin, and the like... you expect more from those positions and styles of players at the elite level.

Some of them will get there, some of them will stay in the team and be complimented by better athletes, some of them need to be moved to a new position, or moved on while they have trade value so they can get their opportunity to shine.
TDK had all the opportunity and got his pants pulled down repeatedly in ruck contests. All week before this game footage on the footy shows was of Carlton players expecting Cripps/ whoever to win contested ball cleanly and so these players were cheating and running goal side too early. TDK is a ******* ruckman and was one of the main culprits. He jumps, has a poor undirected tap and then tries to play first receiver instead of shepherds, blocks, imposing. It's absolutely not surprising at all we were near last in the comp for clearance work before pitto came back.
I saw plenty of blocks and shepherds from TDK through the early stretch of the season? His hitouts to advantage performances are more up and down, but the mobility gap between him and Pittonet makes a difference after the tap, of that I have no doubt.

Lineball but disagree. Hewett is cleaner and is a smarter player at stoppage. He does a huge amount of grunt work for Walshy & Cerra.

Kennedy looked bloody slow on occasions last night though he does have more weapons on the outside.
Not sure it matters next week. With Cerra out they both will play I'd imagine.

Recent selections would indicate that Carroll might move up to sub. I'd prefer a 5th mid as sub as opposed to 3rd small forward. Then it comes down to whether anyone else becomes available. Saad replaces Cowan if fit. Motlop replaces Durdin if fit. Binns must be getting close but not sure that the swans at the SCG is the right place to give him his baptism. Maybe the Suns at Marvel for a full debut?

Just further on the clearance stats this season in a head-to-head breakdown:

R0: -1 (-4 centre bounce) - WIN
R1:
-6 (-3 centre bounce) - WIN
R3:
-3 (+3 centre bounce) - WIN
R4:
-17 (-4 centre bounce) - WIN

Then with Pittonet:

R5: +7 (tied at centre bounce) - LOSS
R6:
-6 (+14 centre bounce) - WIN
R7:
+6 (+3 centre bounce) - LOSS
R8:
-4 (-1 centre bounce) - LOSS
R9:
+2 (+4 centre bounce) - WIN

And to break down the R4 result, TDK won the hitout count vs Jackson 32-29, with the hitout to advantage count 10-4. The back ups for each team broke even on those stats too.

Moving over to the R6 result, it went:

Hitouts: Briggs 26, Pittonet 25, TDK 16, Riccardi 2
HTA: Pittonet 9, TDK 7, Briggs 6, Riccardi 1

Make of that what you will!

After his job early on Trac, Kennedy to Heeney next week?
Hmmm... do we really want to be "forcing" Heeney forward, like we did Petracca? I know Kennedy was very good, especially early, but it's a double-edged sword with these elite midfielder-forwards...

Did you watch yesterday’s game? Ollie’s best game this year. I’m so confused sometimes.

Really? Thought he took far too long to dispose of the ball causing some really bad turnovers and his tackles weren’t sticking like they were earlier in the year.

He got some reward for effort which was nice but in a hot contest he is a liability. His direct opponent beat him. I think he is lucky Binns is the only pressure on his wing spot and they seem to want to hold him back in the 2s.

R1:
R3:
R4:

Then with Pittonet:

R6:
R7:
R8:
R9:

And to break down the R4 result, TDK won the hitout count vs Jackson 32-29, with the hitout to advantage count 10-4. The back ups for each team broke even on those stats too.

Lions, Tigers, North, Dockers

Crows, GWS, Cats, Pies, Demons

A better quality of teams

Did Pitto run over Jimmae's dog?

Pitto is the new Newman. Jim drops him no matter what.

OUT: Cowan, Kennedy, Fantasia, C.Durdin, Young
IN: McGovern, Carroll, Wilson/Martin, O.Hollands, Kemp

Pittonet finally looking like the player I saw in the junior ranks after shedding some weight and getting his fitness levels right. If his lower body actually holds up
Spoiler: it's not holding up as well as you'd like, and he's not taking enough marks when the ball is kicked directly at him.

I gave and I took on board the comments, and then gave some more, all while too many of the same posters mock and refute without genuine rebuttal. The midfield needs to improve... are we removing Walsh, Cerra, Hewett or Cripps instead?

They're all prolific when fit (which they MOSTLY are), but need an athletic type so they aren't arguably the slowest midfield in the AFL despite Cripps and Hewett having solid acceleration off the mark. Just a smidge of variety to buy space that we cannot otherwise find in matches.

The outside mids are basically doing the bulk of the defending in open midfield, and are doing it well enough, but are supported by Cottrell who gets lost in that phase.

I'd rather have us continue to put time into Carroll, and to get some additional outside speed into the team. We've given two rucks a go and TDK is doing OK, but Pittonet isn't really significantly outperforming TDK's rucking efforts despite having improved this year, and is now on the wane, while McKay's form has also been patchy without the extra touches.

Last year we brought in Dow, finally gave Fogarty a suitable role once fit, and tried to go single ruck and went on one of the greatest run of games we've seen this club produce in the last 30 years, then we started reversing course with the GWS game and tried to headbutt our way through 3 finals before collapsing against Brisbane.

We went back to the mobility focus at the start of this year and looked solid despite our clearance numbers being down - a normal outcome when you sit back on the counter as we were - but now we're back to the same old slog that cannot be sustained.

I want a sustainable brand of football that buys us a little space to breathe and plan for September, so that we're actually capable of showing up for prelims and grand finals. That's my 'agenda', and I genuinely believe there are too many egos getting in the way of a constructive plan for that.

I respect what you're doing ODN, and I have respect for what My Hat is saying and is trying to pull me up on, but your combined approach towards me is very much in the minority, simply because I challenge a status quo that has us still playing like a mid-table team.

My comments are not easily dismissed, or people would just coast past them without any reaction.

Last night was a slightly different situation, but should have not been so poorly managed in terms of the absurd work rate of the first quarter and a half. We are a mature team, and we should have the ability to navigate that better at every level of planning and execution.

Anyway, those are the team changes I'd like to see, hopefully we make some strides.

There is no combined approach, and I'm not sure that responding means that an opinion is not easily dismissed.

Yes, we lack pace in the side. It's been a problem for 10 years.

I don't think Kennedy bears the brunt of that though. I don't see Hewett or Cerra as being any quicker. You mentioned the first step of those two, but I see Kennedy's first step out the front of stoppages as being pretty damn powerful. He's also a superior shot for goal.

We got done by the Pies with Kennedy as sub, and Cuningham and Fantasia providing run, and beat Melbourne with Hewett as sub and no Cuningham or Fantasia. Now, I'm not blaming Hewett here, but we were in control of the game with Cripps, Cerra and Kennedy as the bulls, and the Dees came back when Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett were the bulls.

I like Hewett and Cerra, but they go missing too and don't have the same ability to play different positions.

I push to promote or demote players based on form and balance and have asked for both for every player, even the ones I like.

It's good to be flexible. Being rigid towards the same players isn't exactly wanting what is best for the team IMO.

R1:
R3:
R4:

Then with Pittonet:

R6:
R7:
R8:
R9:

Care to mention who the opponents were in each of those rounds? I think you'll find that the quality of opposition since Pitto's return maybe skews these win/loss results a bit don't ya think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im confident for two reasons - 1) we normally measure up ok against the swannies and 2) its in melbourne.

(I know we lost to the crows in melbourne but they play differently to the swannies)
It’s in Sydney AG

R1:
R3:
R4:

Then with Pittonet:

R6:
R7:
R8:
R9:

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Don’t try and take us as fools. We watch the games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Binns should come in for OHollands if there is any sort of selection integrity.

Neither will win or lose us this game but it is important to reward good form and not continually gift games to those in poor form.

Ollie was much better on Thursday night, I wouldn’t be dropping him on that performance but he definitely deserved to be dropped well before he was the week before.

Binns will start to get some games soon with a change in the quality and experience of the teams we have been playing.
Another 40+ touches next week and Gold Coast should be the start of that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the game against Melbourne- people are forgetting that Cerra came off half way through the game - about the same time things evened up. Melbourne also made the tactical switch of sending Petracca forward as Kennedy had him covered and was actually dominating CBB clearances. The same period saw Pittonet off with finger issues and TDK - Carlton's set up was changed and the game became more even because of it.

I think Carlton would have run away with the result if Cerra stayed on the park and continuity was maintained around the ruck contests.

Voss made it pretty clear that Carlton wanted to share the load amongst the midfield group - and made a point of stating that as a group they haven't managed to be on the park together and get continuity going all year.

However - I enjoy all the hyperbolic fantasy selections posted by people who don't think the coach or MC have a clue - I stopped taking such commentary seriously around this time last year.

Boyd Weitering Newman
Saad
McGovern Williams

Acres Cripps Cottrell
Pittonet Walsh Kennedy

Martin Harry Cuningham
Owies Charlie TDK

IC: Hewett Cincotta Durdin E Hollands
EM: O Hollands

that's the team I would play but I don't know if Saad is ready or Newman not suspended. Pity that Cerra is injured again- he was killing it in the first half against Melbourne.

I think Carlton has the team to smash Sydney - whether the team can get on the park for this round is the open question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back