Half-backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Centreline:David CuninghamPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jack CarrollOllie HollandsBrodie Kemp

Knew we had a few injuries but was shocked to see no experienced players in the VFL (genuinely don’t think we had one player with an AFL game under their belt). We are doing well considering but hope we get gov and cerra back for this game

So much media attention on Richmond injuries..our injury list the worst in the league

Richmond’s injury list includes Tom Lynch and as we all know, he is a much more important person in AFL media circles than every single player on our injury list.

I was frustrated with Durds and Owies yesterday because the generally do well with their limited possessions and they cooked most of them against the Cats.

not sure how much pressure either brought as well. There was one instance in the last quarter ( that period where we dropped our heads) where a Geelong play er ran past Durds and he basically let him go.

Get our best forward line on the park and we are fine. Issue is injuries

HF: Hollands McKay Fogarty Cottrell
F: Martin Curnow Motlop

Plus possibly TDK & Fanatsia and mids pushing through there

This forward line is good enough but we can always improve
I agree this is the dream forward 7 for us - enough pressure and marking targets. Good lead up targets and good one on one players

I was frustrated with Durds and Owies yesterday because the generally do well with their limited possessions and they cooked most of them against the Cats.

not sure how much pressure either brought as well. There was one instance in the last quarter ( that period where we dropped our heads) where a Geelong play er ran past Durds and he basically let him go.

The word was Owies was crook during the week - it certainly showed with his output yesterday.

We need to find a win here by hook or crook to keep pace with the upper echelon of the ladder.

Sounds like Cerra will be fit. He walks straight in.

Fantasia should come back even if it’s as sub but we’ll need a lift from him on his recent form.

Cuningham would have to be under consideration. He’s no world beater but he can tackle and hit a target which puts him ahead of a few from yesterday.

Starts with team defence. If we don’t put any pressure on in our forward line or through the middle, we’ll get done again. And please kick accurately in front of goal.

Get our best forward line on the park and we are fine. Issue is injuries

HF: Hollands McKay Fogarty Cottrell
F: Martin Curnow Motlop

Plus possibly TDK & Fanatsia and mids pushing through there

This forward line is good enough but we can always improve

You really don't rate Durdin eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly we had only one player lose a D50 one v one.

Our overall system and pressure just fell apart.

Yes stunning stat.
But might be because when Cameron and O.Henry were marking unopposed in D50, their man was 5 metres off, thus it not benign counted as a 1-on-1

I quite like the idea of Williams going forward. Yes we need run behind the ball but he hasn’t really been providing that so far this year and he gets exposed like today vs Stengle. He is fast and a reasonable kick however. Cincotta can come in to play back on someone like McCreery or Schultz. Fantasia and Cuningham coming straight back in is probably not ideal but they are both better than Owies and Curdin. Cerra comes in for Carroll who goes to sub. I can’t see Binns getting a full game as he’d get outmuscled like Ollie. I’d rather we push Cottrell onto the wing. I’m assuming no Gov from Vossy’s presser so Young has to play as Surdin couldn't be picked after having not played for so long.

My preferred Round 8 line up would be:
Boyd, Weitering, Kemp
Newman, Young, Cowan
Acres, Cripps, Cottrell
Cuningham, McKay, Kennedy
E Hollands, Curnow, Williams
Pittonet, Walsh, Cerra
TDK, Hewett, Cincotta, Fantasia,
Carroll (sub)
Out: Binns, Curdin, O Hollands, Owies
In: Cerra, Cincotta, Fantasia, Cuningham

I agree with this re Williams - think he’s a creative attacking type, which could bring a bit to the table and do some damage at HFF or Mid (got the tank for 30% rotation?)

I observed Zac being loose when on Toby the week before, mid game co-inciding with them carving us up… when he went off, the next guy (Boyd?) seemed to keep right with Toby, this co-inciding with us overtaking them and 8 consecutive goals (no doubt there were other factors here such as Cripps & Walsh entering beast mode)

Always have thought he’d be good in middle, just need to find the rotation balance

Not ahead of who I’ve listed. Has the tools but yet to produce consistently at AFL level
Needs ground time and has been out for a while. Thought he played well, in particular, his ground ball work was what we need, but that last quarter miss, should not be from that position.
Having said that, the forward line of Martin, Fog and Mots is probably the right call at this minute. Durds must take his chance in the next few games!

Get TDK, Charlie or Harry one out in their defence and Moore or Frampton will give away frees.

Curnow - Moore
McKay - Frampton
TDK - Howe

Don’t want to see Charlie or Harry fly for the same footy. TDK on his bike as the get out kick to drag Howe away from intercepting. Must look to play through Tom as that’s a mismatch.

No reason why we shouldn’t be able to kick a winning score.

Kennedy does not deserve to be dropped, but given Cez is an automatic in we need to make some tough calls and we have been exposed badly by oppo spread and playing all of Kennedy, Cripps, Hewitt and Cez plus the 3 tall forwards makes us a little one paced for mine so I’d go:

In: Fantasia, Cez

Outs: Binns Bot

Kennedy to Sub

If we play 3 big tall forwards we need to make sure they are supported by smalls on the deck who apply good pressure and whilst Fantasia was not a big out in terms of his pure numbers this year his out caused issues with our balance IMO.

I'd rather keep Kennedy is as a forward than keep rewarding our small forward who hardly lay a tackle and don't know how to rover a pack.

Kennedy can stick a tackle and he couldn't be as bad at crumbling as what we have in there now.

Many aren’t good enough or just to similar
If we had all of them to pick from, I'd have Fog, Motlop and Martin. I think all 3 of them bring different strengths to the table.

If we continue with our "kick to Charlie obsession" we will continue to under perform forward of the ball.

Even yesterday many looked up, thought about it and still kicked it on Charlie's head with two on him.

I don't believe it's a sustainable strategy against the best teams.

I really hope Charlie gets on his bike up the ground.

He isn't getting free kicks for holds. That is clear.

Time to change approach.
Wonder if Voss would consider him playing a role similar to Cameron. Both have very similar traits

Charlie also needs to make quicker in game adjustments as he thought he could simply out muscle his direct opponent yesterday and literally took him a half to realize he needed to use his athleticism to jump over him vs a pure strength battle which he wasn’t winning in the first half. This is of course also coaching, but you’d hope Charlie is smart enough to realise this. Also, the greatest example of how much bad kicking kills you is TDK, vs Giants 3 goals, vs cats 3 points. Essentially the difference in both games and highlights just how important this component of the game is. Not by any stretch saying we lost because of TDK, but like many of our forwards ( Durdin another example) it just killed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back