Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Love little durds but he just has no idea - coaches need to teach him what he needs to be doing as a small forward

He is no where near offering anything resembling what a small forward is supposed to be doing

Durds has until end of 2026 to get better, if he doesn’t improve a lot he won’t be playing AFL beyond then.

7 games: 50 touches, 2 goals, 3 behinds, 9 tackles. 11 marks.

Fantasia has been given enough of a run and those numbers after 7 games are abysmal. Supporters bash Owies but at least he hits the fricken scoreboard. Yes, at one point in the past Orazio was a dangerous small forward. Now he is a danger to our forward line.

Seriously question, what is our system ?
Voss was trying to explain this to Cerra when he came off for a break - pretty sure he was saying pass it forward quickly

Worrying that our players still dont know that - we lack onfield leadership in terms of controlling tempo or making adjustments to our game

Honestly you would struggle to find less total production from the three small forwards if you dropped two of them

We played dumb and lazy football. Made them look a whole lot better than they are - it's why I won't give them credit.

We lost that game. They didn't win it.

Nope they were just better and the stats show it. They were much more even in their contributors, we had 4 of our bottom 6 players playing in defence, which was exposed.

Voss 3 years you’ve tried to implement “layers” and it doesn’t work. When we play to our strengths we do well. We have a low IQ team and Bolton learnt the hard way, TMI confuses them.

It looks like teething issues like last year. Last year was coming to terms with team defence, now it’s trying to transition better but keep defensive shape and we are struggling.

Back 6 personnel being unsettled not helping.

We are truly average despite having the best FB, FF, CHF and midfield in the comp.

We’ll rally at some point this year and but miss top 4.

If you waiting for better you’re wasting your time.

We don’t have the best midfield in the comp. It’s very good, but Melbourne have the best one.

Our defence looks brittle atm and is coughing up cheap goals as a result. Williams is a hbf/wing but is being dragged deep into the 50. Missing not just the pace but experience of Gov Saad Doch and even Marchbank. Thank god for weiters.

I thought Cerra didn’t look 100% but will be better for the run. Same with cunners. Kennedy sub was an odd call, thought cunners could have been handy as a sub instead.

Owies lacks a bit of leg speed to be a gun forward but gives 100% and is good value, 27 goals last year and 3 tonight. Not bad for a rookie pick. Durdin has been disappointing, has talent but not showing it. We are missing Fogartys forward pressure and Martin’s iq.

Curnow had a poor game, played behind his man all day, like he have the flu or something. But even top players have down weeks.

Looking back at our 2023 team that beat the woods… notable omissions are Martin and Fogarty forward, gov saad doch and marchbank in defence.
I think our top liners are keeping us competitive at the moment. Plus guys returning from injury… Walsh had no preseason etc.. means we’re just in ok form. might be a choppy month before we can get some continuity.

I called this a month ago. The GWS win was an anomaly. Until we acquire an assistant with tactical nous and some speed and class, we are nowhere near it.

Collingwood were leagues above us tonight from watching it at the ground.

I worried at the time the GWS game was just our best 4 players clicking in a deadly period to get us over the line, and Walsh/Cripps being awesome all game. Didn’t seem the most sustainable way to win games.

We aren't winning a flag this year. We need more pieces. We are two years away at best IMO, and we won't have the best age profile compared to some during this whole time.
Game related question - do the Comporeale boys both have speed and elite ball skills?
If not, this group won't win a flag as the squad stands now. There's too many around the 30 mark.
The next generation needs elite foot skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you continue to pick a player who offers zero and has offered zero in every game this year? You can’t pick a team full of players who don’t touch the ball and then wonder why you get smacked all over the ground.

I know Kemp has his deficiencies but my god, how did Voss think Young was a better option, every time he had the ball he looked lost and every time the ball hit the deck near him, he was petrified to go near it.

Again a lot of effort by players like Acres, Hewett and Newman but the three of them butchered so many balls today.

I’m having a right old whinge here and to top it off Curnow was lazy and lacked intent if the ball wasn’t in the perfect spot.

Our team defence real poor again.

The only positive is that I think we have played really poor against Coll, Adelaide and Geelong, yet we are in the game until the last minute.

Thing is we have been largely poor/middling in most games this year generally.

Maybe that’s just what we are.

Delusional if you think they weren't.

We lost by a goal.

In the last two minutes Cripps should have had a free kick that was paid all night for being held. If paid they don't get the goal that immediately follows from that stoppage.

Immedisfely following the goal they boot the ball out of bounds 20m away from the nearest Collingwood player. They'd paid that consistently all night.

The absolute best case scenario from the umpiring is that they robbed us of an opportunity to get the goal back and our dumb footy would have squandered it anyway.

If they're going to let Moore hold all night then they can give us the two goals they gifted because of the frees they paid against Williams.

Yeah nah, they were the better side, we were lucky to be as close as we were.

I wasnt aware - Bucks said it during their prematch waffles

Around 2/3 of scoring is achieved by the turnover game - not from stoppages

An area we need to get much much better at.

But it requires some sophistication and palyers with some level of footy IQ - things we dont have in abundance

I mean how far can we go when one of our best in walsh just dump kicks?

Plenty of other examples

We have tried to become more that this year, but missing Saad and Gov has stuffed that plan up for now.

We are trying to be more dynamic moving the ball, but teething issues aplenty at the moment.

Game related question - do the Comporeale boys both have speed and elite ball skills?
If not, this group won't win a flag as the squad stands now. There's too many around the 30 mark.
The next generation needs elite foot skills.

Much like their Dad. They cover the ground pretty well without being express. Both are high efficiency kickers.

I've had a constant nagging doubt about this team for years now. They can look fantastic when the skills are on display and they move the ball. When the pressure is up, we look irrepressible.

However, against sides that match the pressure, we can look so bad on the turnover.

We have gone the endurance route with this side, but we still lack pace. It only takes Saad to be out to highlight this. You can bail yourself out with pace when all else fails.

In the midfield, we have zero pace amongst our genuine mids and only Cuningham offers a little, but he doesn't get his hands on the ball nearly enough. Up forward ... honestly, it's probably Durdin who has no idea where to position himself, and big H who have the wheels.

We are so vulnerable in this regard. Pounds to peanuts, we look for an endurance athlete with tidy foot skills in the national draft.

It’s a hangover from the Teague years and possibly the type of team we have built, you fear as soon as we turn the ball over we won’t get it back and the opposition are a better than 50-50 chance to score.

We are a good team, we have the potential to be a great team, sometimes it seems so close but we are not there yet, not even nearly.

Our list on paper looks fantastic, but we don't play to our lists advantages.
The best football I've seen us play in a decade was the stretch last year when we were decimated by injuries.

Sometimes I want to shake the match committee and coaching department, scream and shout at them. We made the same mistakes in the finals last year as we are making now. The taller we go, the bigger we go, the worse we get.
The last time I saw use play genuinely good football was when we were lacking the tall option, we had to move the ball short, quick and at angles. We had to hit up the short options, we had to apply pressure and lock the ball in. We had players playing for their careers, and it showed, because we were manic. We swarmed as a team, tackled, hunted turned it over and ran, took chances because we new we had no other option.
Then the more of our best 22 we got back, the slower and more predictable we became. That's not to say that the best 22 players should be played, its more the mindset, the planning, the structure.

It's been a bugbear of mine for the entirety of the Voss era, we want to play 80's football. Strength at the clearances, imposing bodies. Kick it to packs, rely on contested marks. Very little movement, very little changing of lanes, very one dimensional. And we have the talent for that to work against 70% of the competition. But it won't get us to the promised land.

People question our depth, but that isn't the problem. People question our bottom six, but that isn't the problem. If you think it is, take the time to write down what you think our best 22 is. Then write down your first choice replacement for each position in the case of injuries.

The commentary around our weak bottom 6 at the moment is completely unfair. As they aren't really our bottom six. In fact a couple of them are the bottom six of our 44 man squad.

All clubs get hurt by injuries from time to time, but our ability to get so many injuries in the same role of players really astounds me.

Yes we lack dare and speed off the backline, I can reel off 3-4 names that would make a massive difference to that.
Yes we are top heavy in the forward line, once again, same thing.

I just wish that even though we have a lot of these key personal missing, we didn't manipulate the gameplan so much to go into preservation mode. We did it for a period last year, and we've started doing it again.

I'd rather we lost these games by a bit of a space daring to win rather than grinding out these close losses. Because every time I see these results I know internally the club gives themselves a little pat on the back for getting so close. When really I feel its a step in the wrong direction if we actually want to go to the next level.

Talent and Ego can only get you so far, and its got us to a position that we are going to beat a lot of the middling teams. But i look at the Pies team from last year, and the Tigers teams from a few years back. Yes they had some very good players, but that's not what won the flags. Their system, their structure and their belief got them there.

That is what I think our next progression needs to be. We need a real team identity, and it can't be 80's football.
Our list is stacked, but I find myself watching Gold Coast games, Adelaide games, even, dare I say... Essendon games... and I think.. gosh, I wish we could move the ball like that.
That doesn't just come from having a few players with good ball use. Good structure makes average ball use look good. When you know your outs, know where the space is and trust that your team mates are going to be there. Hopefully we realise that sooner rather than later. Because we have the talent, we have the resolve and effort. We just don't have our structures in place.

And on a side note, to finish off on a positive. I really think Jacob Weitering is the best fullback I've ever seen, and I grew up idolizing SOS. If he doesn't get his AA blazer this year, I'll be... upset.

Have a goodnight and weekend Blues fans. Be good to yourselves and your loved ones.
This team is nearly there, the last 5km of a marathon are far and away the hardest. We've stuck together for a long long time through some dark days. So when those good times finally arrive, I'll see you all on Lygon street.
The good times are within reach. We just need to fully commit to the path that gets us there.

Defence setup is a complete mess when teams are looking to pinpointing a target.
How does Pendles get so much space to mark 45 out. Shocking.

Deserved a 5 goal loss(if only it was)

Back