Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cerra and Walsh are our two outside mids and Cerra plays a more defensive mid role whilst Walsh attacking …Is this right?

I think I’d prefer Cerra doing the kicks into our f50.

Walsh works extremely hard but I don’t believe he has the kicking skill or smarts to match Cerra. This is an area I see where we need improvement.
Both have a defensive mindset, therefore in my little mind, both need to be part of our first midfield setup, along with Cripps.

It's been a bugbear of mine for the entirety of the Voss era, we want to play 80's football. Strength at the clearances, imposing bodies. Kick it to packs, rely on contested marks. Very little movement, very little changing of lanes, very one dimensional. And we have the talent for that to work against 70% of the competition. But it won't get us to the promised land.

Yes we lack dare and speed off the backline, I can reel off 3-4 names that would make a massive difference to that.
Yes we are top heavy in the forward line, once again, same thing.
I liked your post but didn’t want to quote the whole lot, I find lots what you said to be true but disagree on us being too tall or too slow but more believe we just don’t use what we have smart enough.

TDK, Charlie and Harry can work fine if they stopped jumping in to each other and going for the same balls, 🥎 f they actually split the defence rather than bunching it all together.

Or if Charlie actually got on his bike.

Speed out of defence is more about ball movement and decision making than leg speed, the amount of times last night I saw players take an eternity to move the ball or hand balling to players knees less than two meters away, wrecked any chance of run and carry.

In saying that, our half forwards destroy any chance of run and carry because Cotts, Durdin, Owies Fantasia and Hollands are very low possession getters.

I still think our issues are mostly coaching which will s the most disappointing

What a depressing miserable morning. So upset. No radio, social media or seeing anyone today. A bit drastic sure but that's the price you pay for being really emotionally invested in your team. I'm usually up and about a few days later. For now I'm sulking sorry
And s**t weather to boot in Melbourne. I'm feeling much the same not to mention frustrated!

we're close to the good sides, apparently. not out of any game. but we're too wasteful and haven't banked some wins that the margin suggests we should have if we were cleaner and cleverer. we're not necessarily any worse than last year, we just happened to win a few of these games at the right time of that year.

there's some player 'experiments' that might be drawing to a close.
cuningham has all the tools but none of the ball.
durdin has a couple of flashy moments and that's all he has. has let us down badly with goal-kicking.
orazio doesn't even have those flashy moments. we're better off selecting a debutante or a midfielder to do whatever the hell it is he's supposed to be doing.
young - ground ball not his forte. he will bob up and do some important things but is probably more suited to a jake lever, third defender role where he can float into the packs with his marking ability and height rather than try and wrestle with resting ruckman. that's if he has to play back. he'd probably be asked to try to fill a gap in the forward line if we were missing a tall forward. his job isn't any easier for what is happening further up the ground. kemp has to come in if young is out. has anyone seen sam durdin lately?
at least owies usually makes the most of his opportunities, but he's not really a mercurial small forward. not that he has to be, that's what motlop is on our list for.
williams isn't really a defender, and it might not be his fault he's played in the backline either. but there he is.

it may be at the stage where teams allow the long ball into 50 knowing that our small forwards aren't going to be there for the ground ball, or to exert pressure on the defensive ball carrier who is cleaning up. they'll be out of position, because they're nowhere near the contest or flying for the mark in front of harry like durdin. that, and there's some sort of disconnect about where the ball will be heading vs where they know they should be.

hard to say whether some of our speedier players traded out would make any difference. zac not setting the world on fire, dow unsighted.

not angry or miserable, more frustrated that we let these games slip from our grasp.
I reckon Voss and the coaching stuff are under no illusion either. We are missing some key players whose replacements are well below par

i am all for pitto being a huge improver and he’s been great in the ruck, but honestly, I want to see us play just TDK again.
Tdk Charlie H up front, it’s not it. Our entries and F50 structure are terrible with 2 big forwards let alone 3. It worked for us one game when TDK kicked 3.

This will probably get shot down cos pitto has been great for the clearance game
Pitto is a great centre bounce ruckman, but he provides absolutely nothing else. We're sitting near the bottom of the table for clearances anyway, so he can't be that influential at the moment. He's from all accounts a loyal guy and great clubman, but he is so limited when the ball is in general play its not funny. We can't keep playing TDK as the third tall to get Pitto in the squad. Play Harry as the 2nd ruck, it actually worked really well start of the season and he is a terrific field kick (usually, barring that i50 late in the match last night.. god help me)

When the ball hits the deck in our f50, we're screwed. Harry doesn't apply pressure, Charlie thinks he's too good to provide any 2nd, 3rd or 4th efforts (which is rubbish, pull your finger out because you're appearing very FIGJAM atm), and TDK has the turning circle of the queen mary. Compound this with Fantasia who would struggle in the EDFL prem division at the moment, as well as Durdin who.. I have no idea what his role is, and Owies who is not a huge favourite of mine but at least hits the scoreboard but geez is he limited.

Sadly the high performance team has a bit to answer for for Motlop sustaining not 1 but 2 hamstring strains coming off a toe injury. All well and good doing a minor strain coming back from a 5-6 weeker, but for it to be compounded into another 2 month hamstring? That's almost unforgivable for mine. There is way too much research out there for hamstring strains for this to be happening. Motlop 100% would at least provide some dynamic play in our forward half and be at the fall of the ball.

Hopefully Moir fires today in the VFL and they throw him in. Billy Wilson, eh why not, give him a run too. Do something.

* Collingwood scored 64.7% of their score with a free kick in the chain compared to Carlton 41.77%

These numbers are strangely consistent with Collingwood's wins and losses since 2022 (within 5% of the standard deviation of all stats).
That is an interesting stat. A partial explanation might be that Collingwood’s scores from turnover have been, at an outlier rate, primarily from the defensive half of the field rather than the attacking half.

Longer scoring chains are obviously more likely to include a free kick somewhere along the line, than if you’re winning the ball back 65m from goal.

Lets try resting TDK then, we are simply too top heavy and slow with 2 rucks and 3 gorilla mids, the forward line turns into a rebound slingshot due to zero pressure.
While we are at it, give Kemp the 3rd KPF role that adds forward pressure when Gov returns.
I can't see Kemp feeling like a required player if Voss relegates every time there is a defensive mis-match.
worked fine against GWS who are much faster by foot than both Geelong and the Pies.

Perhaps we overlook this in the scheme of things?

Games played:

Cowan 10
Young 63
Boyd 24
Kemp 29
Durdin 23
Owies 57
Carroll 12
O. Hollands 26
E. Hollands 20
Cinc 20

Missing:

Saad 182
Guv 115
Marchy 61
Motlop 33
Martin 148
Doc 168
JSOS 115

I know he wasn’t alone last night but every time Cuningham handballed I wanted to punch him.
You are kidding? One of the only players that took the game on and created run and carry for us. His skills are well needed.
The guy was straight back in after being out for 2 months. Let’s give him a little time.
I have said he must do more, but he did more than some other never mentioned players…..you know who they are.
Cuningham and Elijah across half forward are pure class we need right now.

Pitto is a great centre bounce ruckman, but he provides absolutely nothing else. We're sitting near the bottom of the table for clearances anyway, so he can't be that influential at the moment. He's from all accounts a loyal guy and great clubman, but he is so limited when the ball is in general play its not funny. We can't keep playing TDK as the third tall to get Pitto in the squad. Play Harry as the 2nd ruck, it actually worked really well start of the season and he is a terrific field kick (usually, barring that i50 late in the match last night.. god help me)

When the ball hits the deck in our f50, we're screwed. Harry doesn't apply pressure, Charlie thinks he's too good to provide any 2nd, 3rd or 4th efforts (which is rubbish, pull your finger out because you're appearing very FIGJAM atm), and TDK has the turning circle of the queen mary. Compound this with Fantasia who would struggle in the EDFL prem division at the moment, as well as Durdin who.. I have no idea what his role is, and Owies who is not a huge favourite of mine but at least hits the scoreboard but geez is he limited.

Sadly the high performance team has a bit to answer for for Motlop sustaining not 1 but 2 hamstring strains coming off a toe injury. All well and good doing a minor strain coming back from a 5-6 weeker, but for it to be compounded into another 2 month hamstring? That's almost unforgivable for mine. There is way too much research out there for hamstring strains for this to be happening. Motlop 100% would at least provide some dynamic play in our forward half and be at the fall of the ball.

Hopefully Moir fires today in the VFL and they throw him in. Billy Wilson, eh why not, give him a run too. Do something.

This.

Martin in for the Dees' game...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I’ve lowered my expectation (again) until they can show us otherwise we’re just an average 7-12th team.

That might erk a few people but I think that’s reality atm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Irk.

Erk is the sound I make when someone puts a piece of grapefruit in my mouth.

Shown no respect ala leaving Pendles out on his own in the 50.
Just unacceptable.
Not sure it was lack of respect, I’m more concerned it was lack of awareness and understanding of how to defend in that situation.

At the game it looked like Cuningham was on no one and in no man’s land. Whether Pendles is his player or not he’s in the D50 and should be defending.

Last edited:
worked fine against GWS who are much faster by foot than both Geelong and the Pies.

Games played:

Cowan 10
Young 63
Boyd 24
Kemp 29
Durdin 23
Owies 57
Carroll 12
O. Hollands 26
E. Hollands 20
Cinc 20

Missing:

Saad 182
Guv 115
Marchy 61
Motlop 33
Martin 148
Doc 168
JSOS 115
We had enough quality to be much better than last night, eg GWS game.
Two of those won't be back this year & further three on that list are consistently injured.

Not sure it was lack of respect, I’m more concerned it was lack of awareness and understanding of how to defend in that situation.

At the game it looked like Cuningham was on no one and in no man’s land. Whether Pendles is his player or not he’s in the D50 and should be defending.
Yeap - I saw cunners nearby guarding a bit of free space - eventually he realised pendles was free and made a run but way too late

There were a few other cases like that

Games played:

Cowan 10
Young 63
Boyd 24
Kemp 29
Durdin 23
Owies 57
Carroll 12
O. Hollands 26
E. Hollands 20
Cinc 20

Missing:

Saad 182
Guv 115
Marchy 61
Motlop 33
Martin 148
Doc 168
JSOS 115
Well 1 out of 8 worked, GWS was an exception, not the norm. Every other game we have just fallen over the line or failed to do so(except against Norths child side)
Doc and JSOS aren't returning this year, lets remove them from a possible 2024 best 22. Of the others only Saad and Gov provide extra leg speed.(and none of them on the injured list alters our midfield speed and transition)

Happy to observe how we react to opposition teams tactics for the rest of the season, and with our list quality we should be top 4.
Just think other teams are exposing us for our slow ball movement and inability to restrict fast defensive rebound.

Last edited:
3 times collingwood had the ball 60 metres from goal and each time the player with the ball pointed he was going long, and 3 times they found a short target 15 metres away inside 50 unmanned. The other thing is we bombed all night and in that last 2 minutes when Harry took the mark 70 out that was the time to bomb it to the goal square, what does he do? Kick a 30 metre pass with 3 collingwood defenders in the area. We can't be that dumb, can we?

You don’t think Cripps is a good on field leader?

Wow
Cripps is an excellent leader from a motivational standpoint than strategic …bit like Voss I think

We need smart experienced footballers on the field instructing.

The instructions are two fold…

1. To teach newbies about positioning and general advice. I think we are ok with this.

2. Identify tactical changes needed during the game to swing momentum our way. Basically an extension of the coaches voice on the field.

I’m not sure we have anyone on field that is good enough with point 2.

Back