2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Any normal, unbiased, informed and educated AFL supporter would acknowledge that Merrett is the clear second best midfielder in the AFL.

Let bias divert your eyes but he is as much a lockety lock as Heaney is right now
Don't argue that he isn't AA as of rd 9. Simply suggest he may be shafted to a wing as he plays a more "uncontested" game than others mids the selectors try to squeeze into the side.

Any rationale, reasonably IQ'd observer of football that isn't an Essendon fan boy would agree - no different to Daicos being thrown to a HBF, or Heeeny/Trac/Bont to have a HFF.

To be ranked around close to 30th for clearances, contested possies and to have scored 1/2 the goals of some of your peers suggests he isn't the "clear second best mid", but nonetheless, he has had an exceptional year as reflected by coaches votes.

Hard to be biased when you are advocating for an opposition teams player to be selected for AA, and not suggesting one of your players is taking their spot.

He also isn't "the starting rover" as another Essendon supported suggested, if Heeney has been better

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

My team so far:

FB: Jake Lever - Harris Andrews - Luke Ryan
HB: Lachie Whitfield - Sam Taylor - Max Holmes
MF: Errol Gulden - Isaac Heeney - Zach Merrett
HF: Christian Petracca - Jeremy Cameron - Marcus Bontempelli
FF: Charlie Curnow - Jesse Hogan - Izak Rankine
OB: Max Gawn - Caleb Serong - Zac Butters
IC: Sam Walsh - Nick Daicos - Chad Warner - Josh Kelly

My team so far:

Whitfield has been putrid two weeks straight. Not sure he'd be in such a competitive spot.

Seeing a lot of Charlie at FF. Not often the Coleman winner misses but it is not unheard of and his game outside of his few goals a week has been pretty poor. Maybe it’s just his lofty standards but he is off. Hogan has been just as good if not better.

McKay is the one at CHF that should be a lock and I don’t think we deserve two KPF as it stands.
Agree with this McKay has clearly been the better of the 2 this year.

Whitfield has been putrid two weeks straight. Not sure he'd be in such a competitive spot.
Still top 2 in Score Involvements and Score launches amongst defenders this year.

My team so far:

I don't think an AA team exists where McGrath is not starting in the back pocket and its certainly not to make way for another tall defender.

Lever moves or goes out IMO.

apart from that solid team

I don't think an AA team exists where McGrath is not starting in the back pocket.
I do. He's having a good years but the other 6 have been better for me.

I do. He's having a good years but the other 6 have been better for me.

think you are falling into the put midfielders as wingmen trap.....ur just doing it in the backline

you have 6 defenders all over 6'1 rofl. 3 of them 6'5+

I'd almost say Blakey should in instead of Holmes or Whitfield but than that would be 4 x defenders over 6'5.

Last edited:
think you are falling into the put midfielders as wingmen trap.....ur just doing it in the backline

you have 6 defenders all over 6'1 rofl. 3 of them 6'5+

I'd almost say Blakey should in instead of Holmes or Whitfield but than that would be 4 x defenders over 6'5.
You say 6'1 as if it's tall. Holmes and Whitfield are structural smalls in defence. Ryan is a medium, same as Lever

Get Luke Ryan out of there. Biggest stat padder in the AFL and personifies Freo's putrid ball movement issues.

Chips sideways or kicks 50m down the line every time he gets the ball to make sure his DE% is high but in reality does sweet f**k all with his 25-30 touches.

My team so far:

I dont think 12 midfielders is enough.

Get Luke Ryan out of there. Biggest stat padder in the AFL and personifies Freo's putrid ball movement issues.

Chips sideways or kicks 50m down the line every time he gets the ball to make sure his DE% is high but in reality does sweet f**k all with his 25-30 touches.
The pub test wants me to agree with you. Would love to see his average metres gained per kick.

The pub test wants me to agree with you. Would love to see his average metres gained per kick.
He is a pretty nice kick of the football and is 4th on meters gained in the comp. Also most effective kicks in the competition for the year. So gaining top 4 meters and most efficient kicks in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Dylan Moore make the squad at least.

He's putting together quite a year for someone who had a bout of Glandular Fever in the pre season.

Wins plenty of the ball and is kicking goals as one of the few true half forwards in the game. Also as tough as a cats forehead.

Reckon he will be the only Hawk with a shot at making the squad this year (although Jack Scrimshaw is having a heck of a year at CHB as well).

Would love to see Dylan Moore make the squad at least.

He's putting together quite a year for someone who had a bout of Glandular Fever in the pre season.

Wins plenty of the ball and is kicking goals as one of the few true half forwards in the game. Also as tough as a cats forehead.

Reckon he will be the only Hawk with a shot at making the squad this year (although Jack Scrimshaw is having a heck of a year at CHB as well).
If a player from any AFL club who has had either (good start, up and down start or consistent without exploding) they’re capable of making it IF they can dominate the game stretch home for the rest of the season. Sicily was elite in 2023, making the AA team and being the best defender in the comp, still missed games and was 3rd? In the B&F. There’s obviously front runners but recency bias happens when they pick the side, as with stats.

He's not there yet, but Warner is showing some ominous signs. Putting in the defensive work after a slow/arguably selfish start to the season, and his offensive game is benefiting from that. Could feasibly have all of Heeney, Gulden and Warner in the side by the end of the year.

Still a long way to go of course, and the competition is fierce.

Two rounds later and Warner is looking more and more convincing.

He is a pretty nice kick of the football and is 4th on meters gained in the comp. Also most effective kicks in the competition for the year. So gaining top 4 meters and most efficient kicks in the competition.
of course he is high in the metres gained stat. he takes the kickins! lol. He also gets the ball, hesitates for wayyy too long and then kicks it long down the line. He's a nice kick but never takes the tough kicks. So metres gains means literally nothing. At least not for Luke Ryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back