Preview 2024 Round 10 Sydney v Carlton (SCG) Friday 17th May 7.40pm (AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I put my hand up to do this preview I did indicate that facts, statistics, data, or anything remotely relevant to the actual game may be missing...well SwansProudly does that brilliantly every week in her gameday preview, so who am I to impinge?

So instead if you should choose to embark on the journey within, you will be assaulted by much nonsense but perhaps at least once, a little snippet will result in a cocked eyebrow and the mild exclamation of 'I didn't know that'.
Tis as much as either of us can hope.

Donald J Trump, (bibles now on special), was recently asked which businessman from history he most admired.
Unsurprisingly he answered himself.

When pressed he finally nominated John Dorman Elliott (JDE), who like himself, had no morals or ethics, was egotistical beyond measure and whose attitude to women made Donald seem almost courteous.
View attachment 1985609

At least none of Donald's wives arrived home from an early morning walk to be met by a media scrum who informed her, much to her surprise, that JDE had sold their family home. The very home she had set out from 1 hour previously.

Of course Elliott was also the President of Carlton football club for ~20 years, during which time Carlton won 2 premierships (yep that figure is correct) and helped the Pratt's family fortune grow by always ensuring only Visy brown paper bags were used for under the table payments.

Now it is well known that under Elliott, Carlton tried to buy the Swans after the Edelstein venture collapsed.
Thankfully the other clubs had the sense to reject the bid and supported The True Believers (Mike Willesee, Basil Sellers, John Gerahty, Peter Weinert and Craig Kimberley.) to bring the club back from the dead.

What is less well known is that when the (then) VFL was first examining private ownership of clubs that Elliott on his own behalf had expressed an interest in purchasing the Swans.

So that's twice we were saved from JDE and he was allowed to forever tarnish the name of Carlton Football Club instead.

Carlton trying to muscle in on Sydney should come as no surprise.
They in fact played in the first Aussie Rules game in Sydney.
In 1877 they travelled from Melbourne to play a local rugby club called the Waratahs.
2 games were played, one under Rugby rules, the other under Australian football rules.
For the record, unsurprisingly the Waratahs won the rugby game and lost the other.

Of course after Elliott was pissed off from Carlton the interesting parade of Presidents and 'influential benefactors' continued.

It always amused me that not long after Steven Trigg took over as CEO of Carlton he pronounced;
"We need to build a club that stands on its feet without... philanthropy."

The statement was made at a dinner for 100 of the club's wealthiest supporters hosted at Jeanne Pratt's mansion, back in 2015.
So basically we need to stand on our own two feet without philanthropy and could you please give us a few million to start us off and please Bruce Mathieson can we keep the pokies?
View attachment 1985614

And yes that is the same Steven Trigg who in his previous role as Adelaide Crows CEO had framed Kurt Tippett's contract in such a manner that it resulted in them losing Tippett without compensation, being banned from the first 2 rounds of the 2013 draft and being fined $300,000.
Trigg himself was fined $50k and banned for 6 months.

So of course Carlton thought that's the man we need.

And Trigg didn't disappoint.
He signed up Dodgy Andy Demetriou's nephew's company CareerOne as a major sponsor of Carlton and a its parent company (Acquire Learning) as shorts sponsor.
They both went under failing to meet the promised sponsorship for year 3 of their contract.
Blackhole of over $1 million....but at Carlton easily solved by a phone call 'Hello Jeanne I was wondering if you had any spare cash lying around?'.

Now much as it pains me to say it I'm a big fan of their current CEO in Brian Cook.
When Mathieson started a campaign to sack Voss last year Cook publicly came out and said Voss isn't going anywhere and your nephew can piss off from the Board as well. Both of which eventuated.

(As an aside I can't help but feel the AFL would have been far far better off with Cook becoming AFL CEO back in the day rather than dodgy Andy Demetriou). But that's for another day.

There have been many classic GFs over the years, but one that is undoubtedly etched into the history of the VFL/AFL is the 'Bloodbath' GF of 1945 between the 2 clubs. Let's face it any game nicknamed the Bloodbath is always going to be hard to overlook.

Of course typical Carlton it was played at Princes Park, their home ground.

South Melbourne had finished the season as minor premiers, Carlton fourth.
It was generally considered a 2 horse race between South and (ladder runners-up) Collingwood.
Collingwood comfortably led Carlton in the preliminary final, when a wild brawl lasting several minutes erupted.
The tide turned and Carlton made it to the GF.
It would prove a portent for what was to ensue the following week.

Early in the GF Carlton's Bob Chitty decked our youngest player in 17yo Ron Clegg and later our second youngest in Bill Williams.
Both of our youngsters would, many a long year later, be named in our Team of the Century. (FWIW Chitty was named as an emergency for Carlton's TOTC).

Come the 4th qtr Clegg was again put down, at which point as they might say in American sports, the benches cleared and police had to enter the arena.

The great Laurie Nash did reminisce about his joy in 'punching out' Bob Chitty.

Some indication of Chitty's behaviour can be measured by the fact that he played 146 league games and was suspended for 16 weeks over his career, in the days when murdering an opposition player was generally considered worthy of a reprimand.

Many a punishment was handed out at the tribunal following the match.
But thankfully then as now they identified the real issues and South's Ted Whitfield was suspended for two weeks for time-wasting by kicking the ball away after a free kick.
View attachment 1985619

Pleased to report no further incidents of such nature have occurred in recent times and over the years many kind and courteous gentlemen such as David Rhys-Jones and Greg Williams have represented both clubs with distinction.

And speaking of distinction one should note John Nicholls.
I believe the only one of the original 12 AFL Hall of Fame legends to have served time in prison, in 1960, for embezzling the equivalent (in today's dollar terms) of ~$100,000 from the bank where he worked.
Sentenced to 12 months jail, he was released after three on parole.
Contrary to popular myth Nicholls (during his 3 month imprisonment) was not releaed on Saturdays to play for Carlton

I'm sure however Nicholls eventual release was much to the pleasure of Sir Robert Menzies, who observed all, puffing away on his cigar, from his Bentley parked, on his purpose built ramp, overlooking Princes Park;
View attachment 1985580

Now some may see this as elitist, however I view it completely differently.
It enabled him to sit in the outer (albeit in a Bentley) and avoid the riff raff that ran the club.

As a final note regarding Nicholls he was also convicted of passing dud cheques in 1980 and fined.
His lawyer noted 'Nicholls was not good at organising his financial affairs'.

I promised I wouldn't overburden people with numbers, but to help your tipping this week, over the years we have kicked
2507.2694 17736pts to Carlton's 2661.2925 18891pts.

We have also won 9 of our last 10 games in Sydney v Carlton dating back to June 2013.

(Sorry to overwhelm you with stats).

I'm tipping a win for the True Believers, by 36*.

* The same amount in millions that Richard Pratt & Visy were fined in 2007 for price fixing.
Awesome write up - thank you hairy biker (never thought I would say those words in a sentence, but here we are!).

Keep reading that Wicks is "important to our structure". Would love to have that explained along with what people think he's doing better than Papley.

I'm glad he seems to have gotten his penchant for dumb free kicks under control, but I wouldn't say he's cemented his spot by any stretch.

I'd be keen to see Parker in for Wicks this week.
Pressures opposition backline all day long

Parker probably not fast enough for this role

Carlton is the team I fear most as they are the AFL narrative for 2024. We know all too well what happens when HQ issues a directive. With umps at the ready, a massive Melbourne crowd, and the twin towers to contend with, they will be a handful. Yes their midfield is slow and our kicking game is elite, it’s just I’ve seen them lift and storm to victory.

Re Friday night, if we bring our pressure game we will win easily.

Don't like talking ump but reckon Carlton might get a stiff run this week, 2 weeks in a row they have had players accentuate contact to be given very bad free kicks. Can't imagine the umps like being made to look like fools.

But yes come finals if we come up against a "fairytale" narrative again it is a real concern

Your first sentence in this post is what I would fear regarding them. That’s the only thing. Oh ! And the fact it is clear it’s not our turn to be the AFL preferred option. Quite clear the directive to umpires regarding the 15 mtr kick last night and that could only be the start of it if we continue to be the dominant team in the competition.
How can this be allowed to happen in this day and age ? Genuine q not an umpire rant. It was blatantly obvious that umps got messaged at half time to put a stop to it. Some of those kicks were well over 20m.

Promising start but I think we can do better …
I’m not playing your games

In other news, luke (look with a Latino accent), it’s cold outside, I am going to put on a Parka.

If you are luke warm to my humour, then buy a parker pen and write me a letter to complain, like I do with my reviews of the film Parker.

Last edited:
Don't like talking ump but reckon Carlton might get a stiff run this week, 2 weeks in a row they have had players accentuate contact to be given very bad free kicks. Can't imagine the umps like being made to look like fools.

But yes come finals if we come up against a "fairytale" narrative again it is a real concern
It’s umpire appreciation week so I’m zipping my lip for one weekend 😉

The next five games are BIG.
Carlton
Western Bulldogs
bye
Geelong
Adelaide
GWS

Knocking off top eight sides is the cream to setting us up for a top four position.
But every side is very dangerous. Adelaide are dangerous. Bulldogs can turn it on.

Loving this season. Looking forward to each match.
I forgot about the Dogs. Thought we went Blues then straight into Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the matchup I fear the most. They have two massive talls who can easily monster our best key defenders and they have a strong midfield who can outmuscle our midfield. I have no idea why Carlton cannot make it work, but if we get on top the lid will be off

This is the matchup I fear the most. They have two massive talls who can easily monster our best key defenders and they have a strong midfield who can outmuscle our midfield. I have no idea why Carlton cannot make it work, but if we get on top the lid will be off

Eh we were the walking wounded and unfit and still should have rolled them in that final last year

Believe

Because much like the dogs, their bottom 6 are worse than other teams bottom 6 (at least previously, haven't watched much of them this year).

Always a fan of the way Sydney play the game and nice after years of rubbish to be able to see a competitive team in Carlton. This game should be a ripper. Hoping to see Saad and Williams back to add some run back to the side.

Going against 'form on the board' and thinking Carlton will pinch this one.
Hi there Jab. Two average teams having a go. The problem with Saad and Williams is neither is interested in actually defending.
Struggling in the 2’s as we speak? How did he go his first 2 back ? You keep hiding behind best 22 and who goes out ? How did Adams go last night ? How has he gone overall in his outings so far ? Average at ****ing best so if you want your answer of who goes out to give a champion of the club the opportunity to prove he is indeed cooked, he does.
Parker was excellent in his first two games back. Unhappily he was just another player today.

Hi there Jab. Two average teams having a go. The problem with Saad and Williams is neither is interested in actually defending.

Parker was excellent in his first two games back. Unhappily he was just another player today.
Just another player in the 2’s of his ability after 2 games well above the standard can easily become just another pissed off disinterested player.Seen it a million times. Believe me he would be pissed.

Just another player in the 2’s of his ability after 2 games well above the standard can easily become just another pissed off disinterested player.Seen it a million times. Believe me he would be pissed.

No doubt.

Thought Longmires comments on and praise of Parker at his presser last night were very careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back