Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait....there's a possibility the sun's not going to rise tomorrow morning?!?!? :eekv1:

Nervous Deep Breath GIF by Pudgy Penguins

If our premiership hopes are solely reliant on Cam Guthrie - and Cam Guthrie alone - for the first 6-8 weeks of the season, then we were never a premiership threat to begin with.

Nobody's happy about it, but have you actually taken the time to look at the fixture? Or just immediately gone to smash the keyboard in panic?

St Kilda - W
At Adelaide - L
Hawthorn - W
Bulldogs - W
Norf - W
At Brisbane - L

That's 4-2, and well within the realms of possibility. Some might even argue it's likely.

You've said yourself that the defence and forward line will hold up, and I'd go as far as to say they'll improve.

Jack Henry back, SDK fit and settled sans Sav, Ollie Henry with another pre-season of development under his belt, Jezza fit and firing, and Stengle, Miers & Close all fit and determined to improve.

That's without mentioning Hawkins & Stewart, who we've become accustomed to just performing at an elite level now.

The sole question is the midfield, so let's go through that:

Dangerfield - Supposedly, as fit as he's been in years.

Duncan - Likewise, and finally fit to start the season.

Holmes - Blue chip talent, beginning to enter his best football years.

Bruhn - Likewise.

Atkins - Grunt and pressure at the peak of his powers.

Bowes - Looks ready for a Will Brodie esque renaissance in his natural position, after a pre-season to get fit, and actually learn our system.

Blicavs - Most versatile player in the competition, and when he and Stanley are fit and firing, we don't lose many games.

N/A: Clark, Stevens, Hardie, Mannagh, Willis, Dempsey, Knevitt, who all could surprise.

Is it elite? No...but could we get by with it for a few weeks? Absolutely.
Bigfooty shits me, but I enjoy your work. A very reasonable, logical and well considered post.

There's options, sure, but I guess I'm just not convinced there's quality options.
I find the answer to this question two fold… if Guthrie is the only A grader in there this season, then we are stuffed with or without him… if we are to challenge for a flag, we will have several players step up and take their game to another level and Guthrie won’t be relied upon.

His good, but he isn’t a superstar. His absence should be an inconvenience, if it’s a disaster then it’s our team that is the problem.

If our premiership hopes are solely reliant on Cam Guthrie - and Cam Guthrie alone - for the first 6-8 weeks of the season, then we were never a premiership threat to begin with.

Nobody's happy about it, but have you actually taken the time to look at the fixture? Or just immediately gone to smash the keyboard in panic?

St Kilda - W
At Adelaide - L
Hawthorn - W
Bulldogs - W
Norf - W
At Brisbane - L

That's 4-2, and well within the realms of possibility. Some might even argue it's likely.

You've said yourself that the defence and forward line will hold up, and I'd go as far as to say they'll improve.

Jack Henry back, SDK fit and settled sans Sav, Ollie Henry with another pre-season of development under his belt, Jezza fit and firing, and Stengle, Miers & Close all fit and determined to improve.

That's without mentioning Hawkins & Stewart, who we've become accustomed to just performing at an elite level now.

The sole question is the midfield, so let's go through that:

Dangerfield - Supposedly, as fit as he's been in years.

Duncan - Likewise, and finally fit to start the season.

Holmes - Blue chip talent, beginning to enter his best football years.

Bruhn - Likewise.

Atkins - Grunt and pressure at the peak of his powers.

Bowes - Looks ready for a Will Brodie esque renaissance in his natural position, after a pre-season to get fit, and actually learn our system.

Blicavs - Most versatile player in the competition, and when he and Stanley are fit and firing, we don't lose many games.

N/A: Clark, Stevens, Hardie, Mannagh, Willis, Dempsey, Knevitt, who all could surprise.

Is it elite? No...but could we get by with it for a few weeks? Absolutely.
Well thought through and concise comments KB, you have a high level of footy IQ and I dare say in general. Baudy could well take on board some of your rational type of thinking before he shoots from his holster in a cloud of negative and unwarranted panic. Geelong's greatest threat by far this year is another disastrous and unprecedent run of injuries, NOT just 'Cam Guthrie' as you wisely pointed out, as all of your valid and justifiable comments that you've concisely and justifiably listed are as you say from a 'positive view point', more likely than not.

In fact KB (and Baudy if you're reading), Cam Guthrie's unfortunate and untimely injury very well maybe a blessing in disguise, as it may potentially fast track one of our many very good up-coming younger AFL listed players or alternatively help promote a current best 22 player. The Cats 2024 version currently sits in a 'very positive position' for a genuine tilt at the 2024 flag and are as good as chance for the 2024 flag as any team in a very competitive and open competition and we like all other challenging teams need a ounce or two of luck along the way to be a genuine chance for the 2024 flag.

PS - We, Geelong Big Footy member enthusiasts and readers are lucky to have such incisive, intelligent, enjoyable, humorous and entertaining on-going comments from your good-self KB and other creditable and positive Geelong Big footy posters like you. It takes much selfless time, thought and dedication to do what you guys do on a on-going basis and I just wanna say I'm personally very appreciative of what you do.... GO CATS 2024 !!!

Last edited:
I'm hopeful he is going to surprise a few this year. He can be the tough and solidly contributing extra midfielder we need, if he gets his intensity back. He harasses and tackles really well when on. We need that aspect of him. Quality ball movement around him will help too.
Even as a fan of his in the past, I acknowledge that he's certainly not likely to be a great offensive threat with ball in hand. But his defensive accountability and tackling pressure can be very handy. And if Tom Mitchell's GF performance is anything to go by, there could still be a role for the #3 in a successful Cats team.

Mitchell had 24 touches, 13 tackles, and 7 clearances on the day. And his metres gained was 14th for the Pies. So despite the sense that modern mids need to be penetrating to be damaging, it would be very hard to argue that he wasn't enormously influential in the final result.

I'm hopeful he is going to surprise a few this year. He can be the tough and solidly contributing extra midfielder we need, if he gets his intensity back. He harasses and tackles really well when on. We need that aspect of him. Quality ball movement around him will help too.
Had many years to deliver

Hopefully the sun rises tomorrow then for his sake.

Just for interest, this second song is a beauty, but at his recent Melbourne concert, it was not performed; seems to be everybody's favourite LH song. Wonder if it is too similar???
Anyway, despite our disappointment, concert was great, and the sun has risen daily since.

No surprise to me. I genuinely rate Parfitt. Has been injured and not himself for a few years, but it's later than this stage of their careers that Cam Guthrie started to really cement himself as key selection weekly. Parfitt needs to relax and focus and consider this advice from Mick...

Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield is predicting a big season from fellow midfielder Brandan Parfitt in 2024.

Parfitt fell out of favour with Cats selectors last season, but Dangerfield believes the 25-year-old midfielder is ready to 'explode'.

"Brandan Parfitt has had a fantastic pre-season, he looks really good running on top of the ground," Dangerfield told the Geelong Advertiser.

"His inside work, I feel like he is ready to really explode."

Parfitt managed just nine games last season – his lowest return since debuting in 2017 – with five of those matches coming as the medical substitute.

Despite a tumultuous year, he finished the season on a strong note having recorded 26 disposals and an equal team-high nine tackles in a loss to the Western Bulldogs in Round 24.

When not selected for the senior team, the Territorian was in excellent form at VFL level and had a 40-disposal game against the Northern Bullants in Round 19.

https---prod.static9.net.au-fs-32cc34f3-85c0-4d77-b901-585f272c971f.jpg

Geelong midfielder Brandan Parfitt has had a strong pre-season. (Image: Getty Images)

It shapes as an important season for Parfitt as he is uncontracted beyond the 2024 season.

He reportedly had interest from rival club Greater Western Sydney as part of the Jeremy Cameron trade during the 2020 off-season, but Parfitt remained loyal to the Cats.

Parfitt has played 121 games for the club since being selected with pick 26 in the 2016 AFL National Draft.

The tough midfielder was one of the most outstanding junior footballers to come out of the Northern Territory in many years after dominating for both his club Nightcliff and the state team at representative level.

At just 16 years of age, Parfitt became the youngest ever player to win Nightcliff's senior best-and-fairest award.

He made his debut for the Cats in 2017 and has been a reliable cog in the team's on-ball brigade ever since, featuring in the 2022 premiership triumph against Sydney.

No surprise to me. I genuinely rate Parfitt. Has been injured and not himself for a few years, but it's later than this stage of their careers that Cam Guthrie started to really cement himself as key selection weekly. Parfitt needs to relax and focus and consider this advice from Mick...

Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield is predicting a big season from fellow midfielder Brandan Parfitt in 2024.

Parfitt fell out of favour with Cats selectors last season, but Dangerfield believes the 25-year-old midfielder is ready to 'explode'.

"Brandan Parfitt has had a fantastic pre-season, he looks really good running on top of the ground," Dangerfield told the Geelong Advertiser.

"His inside work, I feel like he is ready to really explode."

Parfitt managed just nine games last season – his lowest return since debuting in 2017 – with five of those matches coming as the medical substitute.

Despite a tumultuous year, he finished the season on a strong note having recorded 26 disposals and an equal team-high nine tackles in a loss to the Western Bulldogs in Round 24.

When not selected for the senior team, the Territorian was in excellent form at VFL level and had a 40-disposal game against the Northern Bullants in Round 19.

https---prod.static9.net.au-fs-32cc34f3-85c0-4d77-b901-585f272c971f.jpg

Geelong midfielder Brandan Parfitt has had a strong pre-season. (Image: Getty Images)

It shapes as an important season for Parfitt as he is uncontracted beyond the 2024 season.

He reportedly had interest from rival club Greater Western Sydney as part of the Jeremy Cameron trade during the 2020 off-season, but Parfitt remained loyal to the Cats.

Parfitt has played 121 games for the club since being selected with pick 26 in the 2016 AFL National Draft.

The tough midfielder was one of the most outstanding junior footballers to come out of the Northern Territory in many years after dominating for both his club Nightcliff and the state team at representative level.

At just 16 years of age, Parfitt became the youngest ever player to win Nightcliff's senior best-and-fairest award.

He made his debut for the Cats in 2017 and has been a reliable cog in the team's on-ball brigade ever since, featuring in the 2022 premiership triumph against Sydney.

But how do we reconcile this with the fact they didn’t play him in the “first” 28 players last week.

I tend to discount what any player says about a team mate. Never heard a bad word - in fact they are always amazing!

But not sure why Danger would single him out if not some truth so I am confused…unless he is responding to a specific question.

Surely if he is really “flying” we see him in the 24 this week agains the bombers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But how do we reconcile this with the fact they didn’t play him in the “first” 28 players last week.

I tend to discount what any player says about a team mate. Never heard a bad word - in fact they are always amazing!

But not sure why Danger would single him out if not some truth so I am confused…unless he is responding to a specific question.

Surely if he is really “flying” we see him in the 24 this week agains the bombers?
time will tell; long season, maybe they are really waiting to unleash him after some boxes are ticked; maybe he's had a recent niggle- he was absent at a training session 2 weeks ago.

Yes with Guthrie out - if doesn't make the 24 then clearly he inst rated internally at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back