Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad everyone is happy though that for longer term injuries we can give a generic 3 week window that can be adjusted each week.

AFL house really snookered the clubs vagueness there.

Glad everyone is happy though that for longer term injuries we can give a generic 3 week window that can be adjusted each week.

AFL house really snookered the clubs vagueness there.
AFL House was never likely to be able to deal with that, though. Even the advocates of 'better' injury reporting from the GFC were all resigned to that, I'm sure.

What has happened, though, is that it appears that the Cats have actually published an injury list this week with all the injured players on it. Even that is a major step forward for this club and I applaud it wholeheartedly.

AFL House was never likely to be able to deal with that, though. Even the advocates of 'better' injury reporting from the GFC were all resigned to that, I'm sure.

What has happened, though, is that it appears that the Cats have actually published an injury list this week with all the injured players on it. Even that is a major step forward for this club and I applaud it wholeheartedly.
Fair enough. I mistakenly thought a few (not you) were overly optimistic about how satisfied they would feel about the club's injury reports/updates.

Consistently inconsistent is how I'd expect things to remain. Like you said, sometimes they can be surprisingly "okay", sometimes they are keen to be as mysterious as possible.

It becomes more stressful when the injuries are coming in thick and fast. It would be nice if it doesn't stack up to 5+ best 22 as often this season.

Im not really fussed bc he was nowhere near a game but its hilarious how furphy has clearly been injured all pre season as has edwards yet they named edwards 'managed' in practice games instead of saying he has an injured back and they dont bother to put furphy on the injury list until now. Lol geelong never changes on this one.

Or as someone long frustrated by their approach in this area am I just putting 2 and 2 together and it equalling potato?
If you start from the premise that medical science is inexact and it's better to be vague than inaccurate, nothing in what you've just quoted is sinister.

This thread is nauseating. The obsession some have with injury news descriptors is borderline sad.

Are we really at the point where the club reporting they'll know more in due course, which they did by the following Tuesday when they updated the AFL.com.au injury list to 1 week as a contusion can cause people to make accusations of deliberately being vague blah blah.

Some people here need a good long hard look at themselves with the inane level of crap they're whinging about.

Go outside and touch grass

Footy really is the only sport where people foam at the mouth over injuries. Too much obsession with supercoach and betting.

If I ran the AFLPA I'd push to have the information not disclosed at all. If my boss disclosed my medical information to the public I'd consider suing them.

Moreover, the club putting TBA, or 3 weeks, or back training in 18 days. Does not change recovery times or make players heal quicker so is utterly irrelevant.

And frankly our yearly membership don't entitle us to know. I hate football fans at times. Entitled *******s

Congratulations to the club for putting weeks estimates as timeframes for injuries this season. Wasn’t that hard now, was it?

View attachment 1933706
Calm down mate, the people that apparently don't care will pop up the make sure we know they don't care about this

Congratulations to the club for putting weeks estimates as timeframes for injuries this season. Wasn’t that hard now, was it?

View attachment 1933706
3-5 weeks is bloody cheeky and I'm all for it.

They know they can't do 1-6. 2-5 would be pushing it for now. 3-5 gives a window that is as wide as the earliest possible return date.

For a long termer this gives them room to bust out 8-16 weeks soon enough.

Also, why would you congratulate the club for something mandatory that they have quite obviously still taken the p*** with?

3-5 weeks is bloody cheeky and I'm all for it.

They know they can't do 1-6. 2-5 would be pushing it for now. 3-5 gives a window that is as wide as the earliest possible return date.

For a long termer this gives them room to bust out 8-16 weeks soon enough.

Also, why would you congratulate the club for something mandatory that they have quite obviously still taken the p*** with?

How long until we follow Carlton's lead and default to "Indefinite"? 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fine.....and when a return date is eventually identified they amend it to 2 weeks, 3 weeks or whatever.

Based on this week's injury report, it doesn't seem like they're interested in doing that though

1710968020128.png

Early prognosis​

The Blues expect Marchbank to return after their round two bye, while Weitering is also a chance to feature. Martin and Motlop will likely undergo fitness tests to play at some level, but a timeline for Walsh remains up in the air.

I understand and support the use of inndefinite when it comes to concussion as there's an unknown element to the return from that - but looking at the above there seems some conflicting info with Marchbank listed as indefinite but also expected to play next week. Bet that next week's injury report will list him & Weitering as 'Test' ahead of playing on the weekend

Looking through the league injury report, teams are also listing suspensions (didn't think they were injuries but at gives them a timeframe to put down). So ignoring Melbourne who've listed Smith as being on indefinite suspension, there's 4 teams using 'Indefinite' for injuries & concussions, 8 teams using 'TBC' and Sydney using "Assessed in 2 weeks" which sounds like another way of saying TBC

Wondering if we start seeing more 'Indefinite' listed by teams as the season goes on, and only updated once the player is ready to return?

Based on this week's injury report, it doesn't seem like they're interested in doing that though

View attachment 1934298

Early prognosis​

The Blues expect Marchbank to return after their round two bye, while Weitering is also a chance to feature. Martin and Motlop will likely undergo fitness tests to play at some level, but a timeline for Walsh remains up in the air.

I understand and support the use of inndefinite when it comes to concussion as there's an unknown element to the return from that - but looking at the above there seems some conflicting info with Marchbank listed as indefinite but also expected to play next week. Bet that next week's injury report will list him & Weitering as 'Test' ahead of playing on the weekend

Looking through the league injury report, teams are also listing suspensions (didn't think they were injuries but at gives them a timeframe to put down). So ignoring Melbourne who've listed Smith as being on indefinite suspension, there's 4 teams using 'Indefinite' for injuries & concussions, 8 teams using 'TBC' and Sydney using "Assessed in 2 weeks" which sounds like another way of saying TBC

Wondering if we start seeing more 'Indefinite' listed by teams as the season goes on, and only updated once the player is ready to return?

The use of 'indefinite' when a return date is truly not known is obviously feasible, but I would expect the AFL to crack down on it if they see the term being used facetiously, or if they were to see an 'indefinite' return the following week.

The silver lining is Danger would have to be managed at some point anyways, not the worst thing if he misses 2-3 weeks now.
The counterpoint to that is recognising that being managed is entirely different to being injured. Ongoing issues with hamstrings is not something we would ever welcome for any player. And doing one two weeks into the season hardly fills me with confidence around his ongoing durability for 2024.

The difference between a few weeks of light duties and extended time in the rehab group is quite significant in my view.

The silver lining is Danger would have to be managed at some point anyways, not the worst thing if he misses 2-3 weeks now.
And so it starts again, season 2024, our Danger has a soft tissue injury.

Has anything actually been confirmed?? Physios and doctors would well and truly know by now if it’s cramp as cramp doesn’t last into the following day… may just be a matter of confirming the size of the tear via scans now

Has anything actually been confirmed?? Physios and doctors would well and truly know by now if it’s cramp as cramp doesn’t last into the following day… may just be a matter of confirming the size of the tear via scans now
We will know tomorrow, it’s been said they get the results tomorrow
But we all know the GFC and Danger would’ve known the results yesterday and just keeping it to themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back