MMA-UFC 210 - CORMIER VS. JOHNSON

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty crap card imo. All the good fights are on 211

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Weidman vs Mousasi and Brooks vs Oliveira are decent fights, but largely I agree with you. We've seen Cormier dismantle Johnson before and outside of a shot KO, I think we can expect to see much the same again, the women's fight is between two unknowns and Alves and Cote haven't been relevant for a good while.

Usman vs Strickland is a good fight too. Both are decent young prospects and I expect the winner will move in to the rankings.

Weidman vs Mousasi and Brooks vs Oliveira are decent fights, but largely I agree with you. We've seen Cormier dismantle Johnson before and outside of a shot KO, I think we can expect to see much the same again, the women's fight is between two unknowns and Alves and Cote haven't been relevant for a good while.

Usman vs Strickland is a good fight too. Both are decent young prospects and I expect the winner will move in to the rankings.

Cormier as a champion doesnt really excite me as a fighter, i find him boring. That division will be so much better when Jon Jones comes back and touches him up again. However i reckon JJ will ned up as a heavy weight.

Weidman has been knocked out in his last 2 fights, the last one was brutal. The only interesting thing about his fight is if Mousasi knocks him out its game over Weidman.

The rest of the card is a bit meh, in fact the whole card is pretty meh. I reckon ppv numbers are going to be extremely low

Cormier as a champion doesnt really excite me as a fighter, i find him boring. That division will be so much better when Jon Jones comes back and touches him up again. However i reckon JJ will ned up as a heavy weight.

Weidman has been knocked out in his last 2 fights, the last one was brutal. The only interesting thing about his fight is if Mousasi knocks him out its game over Weidman.

The rest of the card is a bit meh, in fact the whole card is pretty meh. I reckon ppv numbers are going to be extremely low

Look at the guys who have knocked out Weidman though. Romero is a monster and Rockhold capitalised on a mistake and made him pay. Both fights were close, so I'm not as sold on this being an easy fight for Mousasi as you seem to be. Gegard has a habit of coasting in fights and is more than happy to stay on his back. Both of those factors could cost him against Weidman who has shown he can out work good, but less active strikers (see the Machida fight) and put guys on their backs and keep them there.

See your point about DC, but he's one of the best guys in the world so when he fights, I'll watch. He's put on some stinkers in his time, but his fight with Gustaffsson was an absolute war and he's had some great showing against Bigfoot and Cummins that spring to mind. I'm hoping Rumble puts up a better fight than last time, but don't see him getting his hand raised.

Look at the guys who have knocked out Weidman though. Romero is a monster and Rockhold capitalised on a mistake and made him pay. Both fights were close, so I'm not as sold on this being an easy fight for Mousasi as you seem to be. Gegard has a habit of coasting in fights and is more than happy to stay on his back. Both of those factors could cost him against Weidman who has shown he can out work good, but less active strikers (see the Machida fight) and put guys on their backs and keep them there.

See your point about DC, but he's one of the best guys in the world so when he fights, I'll watch. He's put on some stinkers in his time, but his fight with Gustaffsson was an absolute war and he's had some great showing against Bigfoot and Cummins that spring to mind. I'm hoping Rumble puts up a better fight than last time, but don't see him getting his hand raised.
I didnt mean Weidman v Mousasi isnt a walk over, i just mean if weidman does somehow get ko'ed again it is game over for him imo

Hasn't been much decent mma on lately and I've missed it. Looking forward to Weidman vs Mousasi. Will tell us a hell of a lot about both fighters futures, win or lose.
HUGE fight.. I don't want to see Weidman lose again, but on the other hand I don't want Mousasi's winning streak to end either.

May the best man win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HUGE fight.. I don't want to see Weidman lose again, but on the other hand I don't want Mousasi's winning streak to end either.

May the best man win.
I've always felt there is a chance Weidman is overrated and feel this might be the proof I need if he gets done by Mousasi.

When you look at his record it really isn't very impressive. This first Anderson fight aside, all the guys he had fought were not what they used to be.

Machida was a decent win but clearly wasn't what he used to be and machida caught him early.

Belfort was clearly off the gear and still almost put Chris away.

Then he lost to rockhold...

The Munoz win to get his title fight was, in hind sight not a massive win.

He is clearly a great fighter but I'm not willing to pick him against anyone in the top 6 or 7 apart from probably bisping.

I've always felt there is a chance Weidman is overrated and feel this might be the proof I need if he gets done by Mousasi.

When you look at his record it really isn't very impressive. This first Anderson fight aside, all the guys he had fought were not what they used to be.

Machida was a decent win but clearly wasn't what he used to be and machida caught him early.

Belfort was clearly off the gear and still almost put Chris away.

Then he lost to rockhold...

The Munoz win to get his title fight was, in hind sight not a massive win.

He is clearly a great fighter but I'm not willing to pick him against anyone in the top 6 or 7 apart from probably bisping.

Saying Machida isn't a great win is a bit of a stretch IMO. Lyoto had looked fantastic at 185 up to that point by dominating Munoz and taking a wide decision from Mousasi. He was on a stretch where he'd won 4 of 5 (only losing to Phil Davis by decision in what was a horrible call from memory) and a lot of people were expecting him to easily beat Weidman.

He also had a very impressive win over Maia on short notice where he was visibly gassed from early in the second round. He managed to both out work him on the feet and took him down and controlled him there which is no mean feat.

Saying Machida isn't a great win is a bit of a stretch IMO. Lyoto had looked fantastic at 185 up to that point by dominating Munoz and taking a wide decision from Mousasi. He was on a stretch where he'd won 4 of 5 (only losing to Phil Davis by decision in what was a horrible call from memory) and a lot of people were expecting him to easily beat Weidman.

He also had a very impressive win over Maia on short notice where he was visibly gassed from early in the second round. He managed to both out work him on the feet and took him down and controlled him there which is no mean feat.
Yeah the machida fight was his best win .. i probably went a little to far on that.

Plus I did say "slightly overated" lol I think there is a bit of over exaduration when it comes to how good he is. I might be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Yeah the machida fight was his best win .. i probably went a little to far on that.

Plus I did say "slightly overated" lol I think there is a bit of over exaduration when it comes to how good he is. I might be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Looking at it, you're probably right. I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines that I thought he was going to be a long reigning champ prior to the Machida fight, so I'm certainly guilty of overrating him at the time. I guess I saw a decorated wrestler with power and evolving submission and striking skills and figured he would continue to get better and better. Looking at his last few fights though, I haven't noticed many improvements and it appears as though a number of the other top dogs at the weight class have gone past him.

Looking at it, you're probably right. I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines that I thought he was going to be a long reigning champ prior to the Machida fight, so I'm certainly guilty of overrating him at the time. I guess I saw a decorated wrestler with power and evolving submission and striking skills and figured he would continue to get better and better. Looking at his last few fights though, I haven't noticed many improvements and it appears as though a number of the other top dogs at the weight class have gone past him.
Also no doubt a few major injuries have hurt him a lot in his progression and athletic ability.

Like I said, he is a very good fighter, but I think his reign was due to a lot of circumstance and timing.

Right now I would have Rockhold, Romero, Souza, Gastelum, Mousasi and probably Whittaker (bias I know) as favourites against him.

I've seen people absolutely shocked that "the dream catcher" (worst nickname ever lol) is the bettting favourite in their fight. It's just not surprising to me.

He probably beats bisping fairly comfortably tho so.... mute point at the end of the day haha

15 minutes left to weigh in. Cormier and Rumble yet to weigh in.

edit: Both have now weighed in. Apparently there's controversy regarding DC's weigh in?

Yep missed weight 1st time weighing 206.2.....2nd time weighed in he leaned on the towel with his hands.....

C80c6U9WsAASPu7.jpg

Now weighs 205 exactly.

Apparently in Championship fights, fighters missing weight on the 1st attempt have the the opportunity to weigh in again within 2 hours.

However, #towelgate is the real story.

Dodgy as ****.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back