Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole "Where's Hodge's brownlow" thing? lolol

Over the last couple of years I had several *ahem* discussions where I pressed the point that Watson was the better player.

"Yeah but Hodge finished high up in the MVP and polls well at the Brownlow"

20120925_watson_brownlow.jpg

LIKE A BOSS.

Oh, and yay Myers, love that Myers bloke. Yeah, woo.....

images

I don't think there's many of them man haha, I love him.
Most bomber supporters too.

Stoked to see Myers and Melksham in that list, need some cardio increases, I am surprised Lonergan wasn't keen to improve his motor, Jetta too.

writing on the wall?

Hodge has a norm smith and premiership medal. Im sure Jobe would prefer that to a brownlow.

Never rated Hodge, always massively over rated. Is tough and has a nice kick thats about it.

I'm sure Watson would definetely prefer that.

Doesn't change the fact he's a better player than Hodge. Better than Hodge has ever been. :D

Hodge has a norm smith and premiership medal. Im sure Jobe would prefer that to a brownlow.

Never rated Hodge, always massively over rated. Is tough and has a nice kick thats about it.

Umm what??? It's a shame he has been injured last 2 years, but at his best he is damn good.

Has every quality in a footballer that I love to see.

I seem to remember the last game he played against us, after finally coming back from injury, was it 6 goals as a defensive forward? The most flexible player in the AFL apart from Goddard or Pav maybe?

Yep getting on the end of 5 goals against us that game would be a massive achievement.

Why are we talking about Jobe and Hodge in the Myers thread
Myers hasn't won a Brownlow yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The set up at Geelong didn't believe that the high altitude training is worth the investment.

They've taken a cross section of the list being hardened pros, injury plagued more experienced youth and the guys who struggle to run out games.

Crameri, Stanton and Ryder would be the guys who have the greatest staying power (in addition to Watson). I suppose the rationale is that if it is going to work we might as well fast track our areas of real need. Hurley, Zaharakis, Myers, Melksham and Heppell are the guys we really need to step up and step up quickly.

Jetta and Hooker are the two that I'd definitely have sent but I suppose the priority is the midfield.

Hibbo - midfield move? Whatever the reason, I think it is clear that the coaching panel really rate Clams - he was voting particularly well early on in 2012 in the B&F.

I'm also get that feeling of huge potential when I see the clips of Myers, just needs a good run with his body. That isn't too much to ask for is it?

clams was easily one of our best until his hammy went twang

From what I understand, the effects of the High Altitude training will have worn off by the time the season rolls around. It's the benefit it has on the remainder of the pre-season training that is the reason for undertaking it. Thats in conjunction with all the mental training and team bonding they'll be doing.

Yeah, maybe the improved training during pre-season (i.e. less stress and strain on the body for the following few months due to the high altitude) means that the players' bodies last longer during the premiership season, rather than being fitter in the premiership season directly.

Edit: or something.

I think it is more to do with increasing red blood cell count (legally) to increase your capacity for work done during the preseason. Kind of like allowing you to work to 110% during the preseason rather than 100%.

I think you can think of it roughly like the inevitable drop off in fitness gained comes off the 110% rather than 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back