Player Watch #23: Shane McAdam – traded from Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if we have Joel Smith in our forward line, we won't win a premiership, as I don't think he is a particualrly good footballer.

I believe our window remains slightly ajar if we have a forward line of, say, Van Rooyen, Petty, Fristch, McAdam, 2 of Petracca/Chandler/Pickett/ANB/Melksham.

It's just my opinion.

Make sense bro?
No it doesn't. Mason Cox was a premiership ruck forward. He's shitter than Smith

I thought Joel helped us win/keep us in games rather than lose us games last year. For a player who is the 20th - 24th best that's all you can hope for.

I thought Joel helped us win games rather than lose us games last year. For a player who is the 20th - 24th best that's all you can hope for.
That's a fair assessment. I guess my hope is that with McAdam in, and Petty back, we have a stronger pool to pick from. As an example, McAdam as player 20-24 is a step up from Smith as player 20-24 in my opinion

Jog on mate. Not what I said. Don't sit on the internet looking to pick fights, it's boring
You're such a sensitive little flower mate it's really sweet. You just can't wait to point out how bad I am hey? I think you need to get over it.

You're such a sensitive little flower mate it's really sweet. You just can't wait to point out how bad I am hey? I think you need to get over it.
There are so many great posters on here. Clever, thoughtful, funny, sometimes right, sometimes wrong. Then old mate who just whacks opinions with a sledgehammer because he lacks the composure or intelligence to actually articulate an argument or consider the responses of others and genuinely consider being persuaded to reconsider starting point. You do you bro.

Last edited:
That's a fair assessment. I guess my hope is that with McAdam in, and Petty back, we have a stronger pool to pick from. As an example, McAdam as player 20-24 is a step up from Smith as player 20-24 in my opinion

I don't think he should be a starting forward but I like him coming off the bench or in the sub role coz he can impact games even if he only plays 1 quarter.

Meanwhile players like Salem play full games and don't do anything to help us win or play better.

There are so many great posters on here. Clever, thoughtful, funny, sometimes right, sometimes wrong. Then old mate who just whacks opinions with a sledgehammer because he lacks the composure or intelligence to actually raticulate an argument or consider the responses of others and genuinely consider being persuaded to reconsider starting point. You do you bro.
Dunno mate seems like you've been thriving playing the victim for a while now so why take away something you're good at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol at blokes who weren’t on the board when we won the flag.

Coincidence, I think not.

Once again, the usual suspects are ruining a good thread, well actually just the one suspect. That poster is always the common denominator.

I must admit that I'm no longer a fan of Smith, I used to be, but the reality is that over his career he hasn't really performed. He seems to always show signs of how good he could be but then follows it up with 2 or 3 ordinary games and then gets dropped or injured. Ok, he got 3 goals in a final last year, but our forward line was so putrid that even a mediocre performance up there would stand out. i think he's an ok depth option, but not a first-choice key forward over JVR or Petty, but as this is the McAdam thread let's compare the 2. Granted Smith has played most of his footy in the backline but to rely on a 28-year-old who has kicked 12 goals in his whole career to me is crazy, especially in a season that's so important. The two players are a similar age and players 50 and 42 games. Smith is a fair bit taller, but McAdam is better in almost every category and his a much better proven forward.
Am I missing something?

1701725152048.png

We don't win a premiership with Joel Smith in the 22
He was the most dangerous forward in a final in front of 95k people. He stood up. He delivered. 3 goals and most importantly 0 behinds. Should've kicked 4 if Gawn (or was it Pickett) didn't give a dumb free kick away when he was lining up for goal 20m out.

Not only is he in the 22, he's a lock as far as I'm concerned. Unlike Van Rooyen, he times his jumping at the right time and his defensive pressure is great.

He was the most dangerous forward in a final in front of 95k people. He stood up. He delivered. 3 goals and most importantly 0 behinds. Should've kicked 4 if Gawn (or was it Pickett) didn't give a dumb free kick away when he was lining up for goal 20m out.

Not only is he in the 22, he's a lock as far as I'm concerned. Unlike Van Rooyen, he times his jumping at the right time and his defensive pressure is great.
Don't see the guy with 12 career goals ahead of Fritsch, JVR, Pickett, McAdam, Petracca, ANB, Petty, Billings or Chandler tbh (if he's even eligible to play). Good, versatile depth option, but my word he is being overrated based on one good final.

Once again, the usual suspects are ruining a good thread, well actually just the one suspect. That poster is always the common denominator.

I must admit that I'm no longer a fan of Smith, I used to be, but the reality is that over his career he hasn't really performed. He seems to always show signs of how good he could be but then follows it up with 2 or 3 ordinary games and then gets dropped or injured. Ok, he got 3 goals in a final last year, but our forward line was so putrid that even a mediocre performance up there would stand out. i think he's an ok depth option, but not a first-choice key forward over JVR or Petty, but as this is the McAdam thread let's compare the 2. Granted Smith has played most of his footy in the backline but to rely on a 28-year-old who has kicked 12 goals in his whole career to me is crazy, especially in a season that's so important. The two players are a similar age and players 50 and 42 games. Smith is a fair bit taller, but McAdam is better in almost every category and his a much better proven forward.
Am I missing something?

View attachment 1866110

Geelong Supercats.

Why didnt Tim Lamb draft Bobby Locke and Ray Borner? WHY?

I think McAdam is a better player but pretty dumb comparing the two's averages regardless given Smith has played as a sub a s**t load. Any player who plays as a sub often you'd expect their averages to be low across the board.

Don't see the guy with 12 career goals ahead of Fritsch, JVR, Pickett, McAdam, Petracca, ANB, Petty, Billings or Chandler tbh (if he's even eligible to play). Good, versatile depth option, but my word he is being overrated based on one good final.
with all due respect, why mention career goals, and not mention that he played back for most of his career or that he's been injured for most of his career. Harrison petty has 19 career goals yet he is widely regarded as our main key forward. So if its good enough for Petty then its double standards to say '12 career goals' just because its sounds nice for the argument.

JVR froze on the big stage. Joel Smith stood up. Petracca simply can not belong in the f50 due to his horrendous goal kicking accuracy. Smith is much more dangerous forward than Petracca. Petracca's needs 5 shots to kick 2 goals. And considering we arguably lost a flag due to goal kicking inaccuracy I think putting statistically the worst shot at goal over a 5 year period in the f50 is just asking for trouble. That said, if he snapped his set shots I'd be more open to him being in the f50. But his ball drop is not conducive to set shot accuracy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back