Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s one of about six players that will be here in five years.

Which is horrific to think about.
You might not be far off.

Look at Melbourne. When they drafted Petracca in 2014, there we 3 players in the 2021 premiership team at the club before him. 4 if you count Jones.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Why? We are stacked for mids and he's shown he could be an elite small forward.

Consistency is key. He's shown he has the tricks

Together with Cam, they are the only big bodies we have. He showed some good moves in the 2023 pre season in the middle. We have a few mid sized forwards, and I would only play him 5 minutes a quarter. Let’s make our strength stronger. Sellers can be the additional forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be trying to make him the final kick inside 50 as much as possible.

He is a fantastic mark for his size but his field kicking inside 50 would be top 3 at the club.
Low and penetrating.

It’s superb.

Our fans tend to go early on no/little evidence of draft selections being guns/long term players (Goater and Bergman recent examples - both have proven nor disproven nothing to date and are a long way from
being successful selections - noting that if one made it as a long term (good) player it would be great/successful) but Curtis (injury permitting) is guaranteed to make it. A great selection. Has everything required to succeed at AFL level and has shown that in a little over two seasons and has the output to back it up as well. His goals ratio in a terrible side for a young dude is ******* awesome.

I would try and isolate Paul with his opponent as much as possible and have Nick lead a bit further up perhaps 30 or 40 out . Paul does his weights and barely anyone will out bustle him. He will kick some bags in the future due to his strength.

Our fans tend to go early on no/little evidence of draft selections being guns/long term players (Goater and Bergman recent examples - both have proven nor disproven nothing to date and are a long way from
being successful selections - noting that if one made it as a long term (good) player it would be great/successful) but Curtis (injury permitting) is guaranteed to make it. A great selection. Has everything required to succeed at AFL level and has shown that in a little over two seasons and has the output to back it up as well. His goals ratio in a terrible side for a young dude is ******* awesome.
Gonna be good little doubt as you say but could be a great if he were to address a couple of his shortcomings, actually pretty hard to put a ceiling on this bloke given some of the tricks he possesses, get another forward with decent mitts in there, maintain separation between them and larks and have this bloke hunt at their feet or pick of the off one himself along with a resting mid with goal craft or maybe a some one like RHJ and you have the nucleus on a pretty handy fwd structure.

Yes and it gets lost on a few around here, rawlings was big on Curtis, to the point he was the only one.
The trade for CCJ's isn't nearly as bad as some want to believe.

Rawlings said at the time the 2 picks 42 & 47 would come in once FS's and academy picks were utilized. He also knew Curtis would/should be available at our pick.

So if we ended up swapping pick 19 for Curtis & Bergmann , I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Yes and it gets lost on a few around here, rawlings was big on Curtis, to the point he was the only one.
The trade for CCJ's isn't nearly as bad as some want to believe.

Rawlings said at the time the 2 picks 42 & 47 would come in once FS's and academy picks were utilized. He also knew Curtis would/should be available at our pick.

So if we ended up swapping pick 19 for Curtis & Bergmann , I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Sorry mate but the CCJ trade was terrible. We paid a first rounder or pick 20 whatever for an absolutely terrible footballer when we didnt have to. Nothing changes that trade.

Sorry mate but the CCJ trade was terrible. We paid a first rounder or pick 20 whatever for an absolutely terrible footballer when we didnt have to. Nothing changes that trade.

We wouldn't have Curtis without that trade, so it does matter when we consider the ramifications of any trades done.

No one half sane on BF rates CCJ and the then coaching staff didn't either from what I was told.

No one half sane on BF rates CCJ and the then coaching staff didn't either from what I was told.
I guarantee you Rawlings didn't want to give up pick 20 (or 19?) for him.

He didn't overpay for any of the players he brought into the team during last year's trade period.

Something wasn't right about the list management team back when the trade was made for CCJ.

We wouldn't have Curtis without that trade, so it does matter when we consider the ramifications of any trades done.

Fair enough. Didn’t quite understand what you were getting at but getting Curtis out of it (someone who will be a 200+ game AFL player, injuries permitting) is definitely a positive.

Low and penetrating.

It’s superb.

The Office Thats GIF

Incredibly excited for him to have 7 touches and 0.1 next week and for the usual suspects to pile in asking "should we drop him for Hansen Jnr? Does he do enough?"
Only 5 touches and a goal today. How’s Hansen Jr tracking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back