AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Out for extended period with stress fracture in foot - 16/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Kaine Baldwin​

Key stats: Four disposals, two marks, one tackle

"'Balders' played as one of our key forwards. We didn't get a lot of opportunities up forward because our ball movement fell short at different stages, particularly early in the game. It was pleasing to see he still worked his way into the game. We saw some strong contested marks in the second half, which is becoming the staple of his game."

Kaine Baldwin​

Key stats: Three goals, 10 disposals, three tackles, two marks

"I really liked his attack on the ball. He played to win. We needed to change things up a little bit so we threw him on-ball to get a big body in there and he made a difference for us. When the key moments happened, he was always in them."

Kaine Baldwin​

Key stats: Three goals, 10 disposals, three tackles, two marks

"I really liked his attack on the ball. He played to win. We needed to change things up a little bit so we threw him on-ball to get a big body in there and he made a difference for us. When the key moments happened, he was always in them."
the signature move.
:p

Was quiet but still very important. Let him play VFL until the final bye I reckon and then AFL hopefully if he stays on this trajectory.

Also starting to really get used to that Hawkins/Walker forward ruck contest stuff too, looks pretty crafty in that regard.

Last edited:
Normally our young KP forwards hardly do anything much in the VFL. Seems that because Baldwin had a bit of hype he is held to a higher standard. He gets to play AFL early well before he is ready and does not do a lot and there are a stack of questions on him. Sure he still has to keep improving as he goes along and right now I would be saying he is still 50/50 but i suggest a few of you need to get a look at him live and see just how good his work rate is and how often he will make a multiple lead. 17.5 in 7 VFL games now. His tally of senior games at the next level down is not a lot either.

The concern is the knees and what it has done to his athleticism that will be important at the top level. He believes it hasn’t robbed his pace. The advantage he has is those broad shoulders - will be hard to get arms around those for the spoil and we have the chopping the arm rule. He won’t be chasing defenders down much but I have noticed when they run toward him he will make full contact to stop them - there are no token efforts he is a physical guy. Has the physique and potential of strength of a Dunstall or Lockett but not their unique pace on the lead for bulky guys. One of the more interesting prospects we have had.

Stats say he only had 5 marks, appeared to have nearly that many in the last qtr. Not just in the F50, but also across half back. Very good work rate late in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy can seriously play. Gaining confidence in his body, play him in the VFL for the next 2 weeks (Williamstown and Sydney), both of whom can struggle to contain key forwards. After that bring him back to the AFL and let him play the last half a dozen games or so alongside Jones and Wright and hope he can get his goals/game average up to 1 when he gets the third talls rather than the second talls.

This guy can seriously play. Gaining confidence in his body, play him in the VFL for the next 2 weeks (Williamstown and Sydney), both of whom can struggle to contain key forwards. After that bring him back to the AFL and let him play the last half a dozen games or so alongside Jones and Wright and hope he can get his goals/game average up to 1 when he gets the third talls rather than the second talls.
When he's in, probably gives us the ability to push Stringer more to the Perkins role and Perkins onto the ball more.

Wright - FF
Jones - CHF
Baldwin - 3rd tall
Stringer - HFF
Langford - Wing -> HF
Snelling - Small fwd 1
? - Small fwd 2

I think he's a better than 50-50 chance to make it at AFL level personally. I see no reason he can't slot in alongside Wright and Jones long term and form a great unit.

Even when he played earlier this year at AFL level it was mostly his goal kicking that was letting him down. It turned some games that would have been solid 2 goal games into 0 goal games. But I don't think he's that bad a kick, he was just having a bad run and what I've seen from him since then suggests he's a decent kick at goal. He's continued to improve his game since then.

He will need to continue building his tank because despite his stronger build he's not the tallest key forward out there and will have to face bigger defenders in the AFL that have a height advantage over him. This is his first full year playing AFL after last year was really just getting over his injuries and getting a bit of game time towards the end. He's still young and there's nothing to suggest he can't continue to improve.

His pace is not bad at all (without being explosive) and I think he's actually pretty decent at applying tackling pressure. When he gets his hands on blokes they just crumple under his strength in the tackle.

Kaine Baldwin

Key stats: Three goals, five marks, 15 disposals

“He was one of our best players on the day. He was really strong in the contest, his aerial power was super and when we needed to throw him behind the ball for the last few minutes, he even defended really well. Outstanding game from Kaine.”

Key forwards Kaine Baldwin and Aaron Francis will be placed into rehabilitation programs after suffering calf and hamstring injuries respectively.

The pair were ruled out late last week before the VFL Dons' clash with Sydney Reserves after pulling up sore following the side's round 15 match against Sandringham.

"'Balders' had a bit of calf tightness and Francis a little bit of hamstring tightness coming out of that game," Murphy said.

"They didn't play on the weekend and will enter a rehabilitation block now and hopefully we'll see them back over the next couple of weeks.

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

I’m sure it’s the other calf….or a different injury to a different spot on the same calf :)

All very frustrating…..would be interested to see comparisons between clubs re soft tissue injuries and also recurrence of soft tissue injuries. Feels like we we are world leaders on this front right now
….but in the absence of evidence maybe it’s just an emotional response.

I’m sure it’s the other calf….or a different injury to a different spot on the same calf :)

All very frustrating…..would be interested to see comparisons between clubs re soft tissue injuries and also recurrence of soft tissue injuries. Feels like we we are world leaders on this front right now
Probably needs its own thread but Murphy worked under Russell at the Hawks and they had very good results . Russell is now director of high performance at Carlton and they have 4 calf injuries , one hammy , a few foot injuries and 4 knee injuries. Not sure what you draw from it.

Our injury situation is no different to many other clubs and players in the competition. Some people are more anatomically prone to soft tissue injuries and there are many other factors that contribute, I don’t think high level fitness personnel are to blame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back