Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no one on the list atm to replace him. So we play him until that moment.

When i say these comments, its not to say they shouldn't play etc - its just keeping the situation real which is - this is where we are at. Until we raise the bar higher we wont get better. Only way we will likely get the better players is by losing and getting more draft picks etc.

I would play Dow & Cumberland for example every week for the remainder of the year and just hope that some pennies drop and he figures out how to raise his ceiling. But as it stands, his ceiling is clearly well below the level you need to be a serious club
Agreed. If Dow was a better runner he would be good player, not sure he can fix that but you never know. In a better midfield he may get better. If he stays the same he will be overtaken.

Cumberland has more to play with. When he is on his is dangerous, but right now he has about half a dozen coaches inside his head telling him to do this and that. Not saying it hasn't been warranted, but until he starts playing a bit more of his natural game, which will come in time, he will frustrate. I agree he needs to be played, but will the coaches be so charitable. I thought his game last night was nowhere near as bad as is being made out.

He is an average midfielder in an average midfield.

If you want to be an elite midfield, you need elite midfielders.

So as long as you have guys like Dow eating into your midfield rotation, you are going to be an average midfield/team.

His usefulness is basically he is the best we have atm. Fairly cold synopsis of his situation but its truthful

At least he is getting better

That’s something

So as long as you have guys like Dow eating into your midfield rotation, you are going to be an average midfield/team.

His usefulness is basically he is the best we have atm. Fairly cold synopsis of his situation but its truthful
Agree to a point but elite and ave midfielders aren’t mutually exclusive either
Simply due to the nature of the salary cap and even as depth we also need some ave b grader types who can play the role to an adequate level

In 2017 we had Grigg as a regular and beyond we had Graham

Just because a player isn’t elite doesn’t mean they don’t have a part to play in the long term health of the squad or that he won’t continue to grow into a better player

No midfield in the league is full of all elite midfielders. They'll have their elite midfielders, their above average midfielders and the role players. I see Dow ending up as an above average midfielder when he is able to play in a properly structured midfield unit as he will be able to play to his strengths and won't be asked to do the things that Taranto & Hopper excel at. It no coincidence that there has been an improvement in his performance the last couple of weeks with just Prestia back in the mix.

He was a bit better but if McAuliffe goes out instead of Dow when Hopper and Taranto are fit it'll be a travesty.
Reckon Sonsie makes way before McAuliffe or Dow, but I wouldn't be shocked to see McAuliffe go back to the VFL when they do come back in. He'll get full games in the midfield at VFL level rather than being stuck on the bench/flank/pocket at AFL level.

He was a bit better but if McAuliffe goes out instead of Dow when Hopper and Taranto are fit it'll be a travesty.
Young mids usually run out of steam plus MacA Taranto and Hopper are a bit the same. When MacA develops some more run in his game he will offer something different because he has a nice bit of zip. Won't hurt him to have some breaks in a full side if that ever happens.

No midfield in the league is full of all elite midfielders. They'll have their elite midfielders, their above average midfielders and the role players. I see Dow ending up as an above average midfielder when he is able to play in a properly structured midfield unit as he will be able to play to his strengths and won't be asked to do the things that Taranto & Hopper excel at. It no coincidence that there has been an improvement in his performance the last couple of weeks with just Prestia back in the mix.
Thats great except it makes no sense

Agree - Dow will not be Elite, but don't believe he will be a "better than average" midfielder

Comparing his output to Taranto & Hopper & stating he wont reach that standard is totally correct but, neither of them 2 are "Elite". They are Good to Very Good midfielders pending form

So if you are admitting he will never reach their heights, then you are also admitting that he us unlikely to be "above average":=

Last edited:
Thats great except it makes no sense

Agree - Dow will not be Elite, but don't believe he will be a "better than average" midfielder

Comparing his output to Taranto & Hopper & stating he wont reach that standard is totally correct but, neither of them 2 are "Elite". They are Good to Very Good midfielders pending form

So if you are admitting he will never reach their heights, then you are also admitting that he us unlikely to be "above average":
Agree and if Dow doesnt get somewhere near Edwards level I don't want him in there yes Tarranto and Hopper are good players but should be aiming at getting much better bigger faster inside mids than those 2 if we really want to contend again

That's not true at all, he puts his head over the ball and tackles OK for someone his age. He had one glaring missed tackle last night which turned into a goal for them as a result of a short turnover. To call him weak as piss is well off the mark
Ever heard of a metaphor?

You and I must be watching different games.

Ever heard of a metaphor?

You and I must be watching different games.
No you rated him a 0/10 for hardness, as if he doesn't put his body in, he does. He is slight tho, so if you're expecting him to lay tackles like Lefau then we won't see that.

I don't know if he'll make it or not but I think calling him weak as piss is off the mark. 5 clearances, 8 contested possessions says he isn't.

You want someone who plays bruise free, try Tom Brown, he is much more tentative at the coal face than Dow

I don't understand why people can't see what type of player he is. His the type in and under and gives it to the better midfielders with his elite hands.

No you rated him a 0/10 for hardness, as if he doesn't put his body in, he does. He is slight tho, so if you're expecting him to lay tackles like Lefau then we won't see that.

I don't know if he'll make it or not but I think calling him weak as piss is off the mark. 5 clearances, 8 contested possessions says he isn't.

You want someone who plays bruise free, try Tom Brown, he is much more tentative at the coal face than Dow
I have followed this club for over 5 decades, I can tell you he won't.

I can understand why the club is playing him, but if we're going to hang our hats on this bloke becoming a member of our midfield rotations, we're going to be in a longer period of pain than I anticipate.

I suspect he has more ability than a Rhyan Mansell for example; but nowhere near the heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why people can't see what type of player he is. His the type in and under and gives it to the better midfielders with his elite hands.
He's been in the system enough years to bulk up properly so he can do that to his fullest potential.

He's at least getting his hands on it more, which was a slight against him previously. Needs to tidy up disposal or become a wrecking ball with great hands, though. Right now he doesn't have an "it" factor.

Dow is good already. Kicking not an issue at all. Does he have to be Dawson to be a pass?
Hands are great, has a nice step. Hard at it. He couldn’t tackle down Stringer who’s a tank. Oh no that’s awful ;)
Keep it up. With Mcauliff, Ross, Taranto, Hopper, Pick 1, Prestia we have a strong group when fit

I can understand why the club is playing him, but if we're going to hang our hats on this bloke becoming a member of our midfield rotations, we're going to be in a longer period of pain than I anticipate.

I suspect he has more ability than a Rhyan Mansell for example; but nowhere near the heart.
congrats your old and still know **** all .
At least if you were young there was hope for the future .

That's not true at all, he puts his head over the ball and tackles OK for someone his age. He had one glaring missed tackle last night which turned into a goal for them as a result of a short turnover. To call him weak as piss is well off the mark
don't mind him but what you are saying is also not true....the Short pass was risky but it was still good enough for an easy take if he had a just taken a few steps forward to meet the ball taking the ball in front of his eyes, instead of waiting there like an u12 kid for a lollypop chesty. then weak in the intercept contest.

Agree and if Dow doesnt get somewhere near Edwards level I don't want him in there yes Tarranto and Hopper are good players but should be aiming at getting much better bigger faster inside mids than those 2 if we really want to contend again
I’m struggling with whether this is a joke. Are you saying there isn't a place for a player in our side unless they’re as good as Shane Edwards?

Because a vast, vast majority of AFL players are not as good and will never be as good as Shane Edwards

don't mind him but what you are saying is also not true....the Short pass was risky but it was still good enough for an easy take if he had a just taken a few steps forward to meet the ball taking the ball in front of his eyes, instead of waiting there like an u12 kid for a lollypop chesty. then weak in the intercept contest.
Fair enough, I thought he was set up well by the essendon jerk enough to pick it off. But yes I agree, he should've had more awareness. I feel that play was his worst all night. Everything else was OK.

its disingenuous to harp on the 5 years factor as we stunted the dev of our youngsters by being a powerhouse and sticking with winning lineups at the expense of blooding these guys earlier like most new recruits

post-dynasty sides are exactly like this- full of tired hungerless stars who have lost a lot of their team synergy through retirements and young players 3 years or more older than their opposition's games-played equivalents [forgive the clumsy english im firing on 3 out of 12]

he is persistent and resilient as far as i can see and has not played enough games to make a call as of yet

You sound like one of those random self professed footy experts. I reckon you're more interested in being right than being open to him proving you're wrong.

"Back in my day they used to be big bustling men who drank beer before the games because they're real blokes. That's how I know this kid won't amount to anything because he needs to be bigger because bigger is better." - Masotiger talking about anything footy related

Remove this Banner Ad

Back