Roast A Little Trip Down Memory Lane back to 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond

Richmond urged to dump plans to recruit Gold Coast onballer Dion Prestia

UPDATE: STAR Richmond utility Brett Deledio says the leadership group hasn’t been spoken to about recruiting but wants the Tigers to bring good players and people into the club.

Jay Clark

August 4, 2016 - 9:17AM

RICHMOND has been urged to dump its plans to secure brilliant Gold Coast onballer Dion Prestia.

The Tigers have chased Prestia’s signature all season as part of a bid to top-up its list for a shot at a premiership.But after a poor season, leading player manager Scott Lucas and Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes said the Tigers should change their approach and load up on fresh talent at the draft.

Prestia, 23, would almost certainly cost the Tigers their first-round draft pick, currently No. 6.

But after only seven wins this season, which has placed huge pressure on their contracted coach Damien Hardwick, a forthright Cornes said the Tigers weren’t in a strong enough position to go all-out for another mature-age star.

He said the Tigers should abort the Prestia move and rebuild properly with younger talent.

“To target Prestia now ... It’s not the right call, they’re not in the premiership window,” Cornes said on Fox Footy.

[PLAYERCARD]Dion Prestia[/PLAYERCARD] has played 95 games for the Gold Coast. Picture: Getty Images

Dion Prestia has played 95 games for the Gold Coast. Picture: Getty Images

Star utility Brett Deledio, who’s name has been thrown up as possible trade bait to secure the Tigers picks for its list rebuild, says he hasn’t been part of or briefed on any recruiting strategy.

“Not directly, it’s really not our (players) issue,” he told RSN.

“Our job is to perform and play well on the weekend and then the recruiters they take care of that and hopefully they bring in good players for us to play with and that’s when we get involved.

“I’ve always been of the opinion that I like to get good players into our club, and good people into our club, and I don’t know Dion that well but from all reports he’s a great bloke.”

Richmond has also already traded away their second-round pick (currently No. 24) in this year’s draft to Gold Coast.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to rebuild with young talent through the draft in an attempt to peak from about 2018 onwards.

“If you give up your first-round pick for Prestia, you are not actually in the draft until the third round,” Lucas said.

“The issue is from a list management and crystal balling, if next year is going to be a rebuild what does Prestia do? Does he help you win two extra games? Do you want that?

“Or would you rather keep your picks and have another couple of kids (in this year’s draft) that are in their prime in three or four years?

“They really should be looking over the next two or three years to acquire as many top-20 picks as they can however that has to happen.”

Prestia, who has played 95 games, would command a salary in excess of $650,000 a season at Punt Rd next season.Hawthorn has also been linked to a move on Prestia, who has recently battled injury issues which have restricted him to 22 games in his past two seasons.

The Victorian last week said he is weighing up a tough decision whether to come home to a Melbourne club.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to bring in mature talent through free agency in the coming years, rather than trading away top picks now.

[PLAYERCARD]Dion Prestia[/PLAYERCARD] would command a salary in excess of $650,000. Picture: David Clark

Dion Prestia would command a salary in excess of $650,000. Picture: David Clark

“Free agency (only) costs you the money (for player’s salary) and a list spot,” Lucas said on SEN.

“Trading costs you money, a list spot and the (draft) picks generally or the players you have to give up to get a player in.”

The Tigers have failed to secure a star midfielder in recent years, missing out on Adam Treloar, Patrick Dangerfield and David Armitage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I swear, footy 'experts' are worse than horse form analysts.

No matter how many times they are proven completely and utterly wrong, someone will still pay them good money to do it all again.

I know it wasn’t the point of the article or thread but…

David Armitage

Oh My God Omg GIF by Mashed

UPDATE: STAR Richmond utility Brett Deledio says the leadership group hasn’t been spoken to about recruiting but wants the Tigers to bring good players and people into the club.

Jay Clark

RICHMOND has been urged to dump its plans to secure brilliant Gold Coast onballer Dion Prestia.

The Tigers have chased Prestia’s signature all season as part of a bid to top-up its list for a shot at a premiership.But after a poor season, leading player manager Scott Lucas and Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes said the Tigers should change their approach and load up on fresh talent at the draft.

Prestia, 23, would almost certainly cost the Tigers their first-round draft pick, currently No. 6.

But after only seven wins this season, which has placed huge pressure on their contracted coach Damien Hardwick, a forthright Cornes said the Tigers weren’t in a strong enough position to go all-out for another mature-age star.

He said the Tigers should abort the Prestia move and rebuild properly with younger talent.

“To target Prestia now ... It’s not the right call, they’re not in the premiership window,” Cornes said on Fox Footy.

Star utility Brett Deledio, who’s name has been thrown up as possible trade bait to secure the Tigers picks for its list rebuild, says he hasn’t been part of or briefed on any recruiting strategy.

“Our job is to perform and play well on the weekend and then the recruiters they take care of that and hopefully they bring in good players for us to play with and that’s when we get involved.

“I’ve always been of the opinion that I like to get good players into our club, and good people into our club, and I don’t know Dion that well but from all reports he’s a great bloke.”

Richmond has also already traded away their second-round pick (currently No. 24) in this year’s draft to Gold Coast.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to rebuild with young talent through the draft in an attempt to peak from about 2018 onwards.

“If you give up your first-round pick for Prestia, you are not actually in the draft until the third round,” Lucas said.

“The issue is from a list management and crystal balling, if next year is going to be a rebuild what does Prestia do? Does he help you win two extra games? Do you want that?

“Or would you rather keep your picks and have another couple of kids (in this year’s draft) that are in their prime in three or four years?

“They really should be looking over the next two or three years to acquire as many top-20 picks as they can however that has to happen.”

Prestia, who has played 95 games, would command a salary in excess of $650,000 a season at Punt Rd next season.Hawthorn has also been linked to a move on Prestia, who has recently battled injury issues which have restricted him to 22 games in his past two seasons.

The Victorian last week said he is weighing up a tough decision whether to come home to a Melbourne club.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to bring in mature talent through free agency in the coming years, rather than trading away top picks now.

“Free agency (only) costs you the money (for player’s salary) and a list spot,” Lucas said on SEN.

“Trading costs you money, a list spot and the (draft) picks generally or the players you have to give up to get a player in.”

The Tigers have failed to secure a star midfielder in recent years, missing out on Adam Treloar, Patrick Dangerfield and David Armitage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how many times they are proven completely and utterly wrong, someone will still pay them good money to do it all again.
He was 23 at the time not 33 and people were against it. Cornes and Barrett are purely in it for clicks and have zero footy credibility. They'll say anything to get those views. They get rewarded for it too with the head honchos thinking people value their opinions. 99% of the public just want to see what scatter-brained bullshit they come up with next.

I know it wasn’t the point of the article or thread but…

…David Armitage

Oh My God Omg GIF by Mashed

Treloar not much better.

Also found it striking how quickly fortunes and perceptions change. Deledio described as a 'star' while Meatball is simply an 'on-baller.'

Took several more years before the Kornes brigade of media experts realised Meatball was rare air elite.

Jay Clark

I'm very superstitious. Article was published on the 4th of August. My birthday. A good omen on what was to come. But not in my wildest dreams would I have thought we would become a juggernaut like this. We're not going back to the dark days. Oh, and my lucky number is 3. Guess what number Meatball wears. 🤩

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know what Kane is like but geez Scott Lucas has some retrospectively bad calls there.

Best was trading out of first round means we won't get the young stars of the future.

We got Prestia, then drafted Bolton and Graham.

Where is that little Mexican girl gif.

We all know what Kane is like but geez Scott Lucas has some retrospectively bad calls there.

Best was trading out of first round means we won't get the young stars of the future.

We got Prestia, then drafted Bolton and Graham.

Where is that little Mexican girl gif.
Lids was a great player.. Griffiths and Vickery was good too. Watching us play in 2016, I was up for sacking everyone. Benny decides to do a review rather than sacking. What ever. But good assistants brought in plus Balme. Enduring2016 gave me zen powers of not worrying about anything. . Zero expectations. I thought we'd done a Frawley/Northey and peaked at making the 8. Preliminarships.
I mind the idea of a quality mid. Treloar was ok at C wood.
But he didn't rate our list. it worked out well but I was worried about Prestia injuries. In hindsight, no worries. Until last year his injuries have not been in finals.
important that we traded in unknown, Nank and role player caddy too as they had immediate impact. Nank a captain. Hampson and Maric were physical wrecks. Caddy slotted right into the fwd line. Edwards Castagna and Butler and Rioli were important. As was Townsend and Graham and had a new group of assistance and Balme back to the club.
Peggy and Benny sacking no one..
I hope Gale stays at punt road. He will not be able to do anything good if he is given the AFL CEO job.
2017 was the pick of dimma flags for mine. 2023 we've brought in good players.
We should be in contention

Last edited:
Treloar not much better.

Also found it striking how quickly fortunes and perceptions change. Deledio described as a 'star' while Meatball is simply an 'on-baller.'

Took several more years before the Kornes brigade of media experts realised Meatball was rare air elite.
They all knew straight away.
But weren't allowed too acknowledge the fact.
Something happening with TT & Hopp.
Media tripping over themselves with McGone/Flinchell/Hill/Brawn/pick 7 bloke/Even Trippawoody.
Imagine the salt if history repeats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back