Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

You sound like one of those random self professed footy experts. I reckon you're more interested in being right than being open to him proving you're wrong.

"Back in my day they used to be big bustling men who drank beer before the games because they're real blokes. That's how I know this kid won't amount to anything because he needs to be bigger because bigger is better." - Masotiger talking about anything footy related

We’ll feed him beer so he gets to 2m and 150kg. Then he will make it :moustache:

its disingenuous to harp on the 5 years factor as we stunted the dev of our youngsters by being a powerhouse and sticking with winning lineups at the expense of blooding these guys earlier like most new recruits

post-dynasty sides are exactly like this- full of tired hungerless stars who have lost a lot of their team synergy through retirements and young players 3 years or more older than their opposition's games-played equivalents [forgive the clumsy english im firing on 3 out of 12]

he is persistent and resilient as far as i can see and has not played enough games to make a call as of yet
Covid must have also stunted some of these kids development.

You sound like one of those random self professed footy experts. I reckon you're more interested in being right than being open to him proving you're wrong.

"Back in my day they used to be big bustling men who drank beer before the games because they're real blokes. That's how I know this kid won't amount to anything because he needs to be bigger because bigger is better." - Masotiger talking about anything footy related
Another KnowItAll hero

Looking at his game again, he was a bit better than I first thought but had some howlers thrown in which stuck in the mind.

One of his weaknesses for his style of game IMO is that he releases the ball too quickly. He needs to watch how Lachie Neale will hold onto it for 2 or 3 seconds and start moving towards goal, forcing players around the ball to make decisions about going to the ball or worrying about their man. When you dish off a handball as soon as you get your hands on it all the time it doesn't really do anything to challenge the defence around the stoppage.

Hopefully that comes with more confidence at the level.

His hands are elite and he can win clearance. Just needs to become even a average kick
we have too many average to good mids who are scrubby kicks that lack penetration
dow, jgti, mrj, mansell and coulthard all about 45m at best. prestia, sonz, taranto, hopper and baker can't kick em over 52m either....its massive problem.

I’m struggling with whether this is a joke. Are you saying there isn't a place for a player in our side unless they’re as good as Shane Edwards?

Because a vast, vast majority of AFL players are not as good and will never be as good as Shane Edwards
Id have to say when you are a weedy build like Edwards and Dow yes you have to as good as Edwards. I simply want the club to build the best midfield it can and its clear that Having Hopper Tarranto prestia who are all slugs + Dow look a very unbalanced a shitty midfield probally worse in the league

If he stays and I'd say they'll give him another year. Needs to spend the off season building up explosive speed.
I reckon you can only play midfield these days if you're either a bull that breaks through packs and tackles or has the initial speed to create space.
He's definitely no bull but can he develop the explosive speed? I don't even know if you can learn that but I'd assume you can improve it.

If you want to be an elite midfield, you need elite midfielders.

So as long as you have guys like Dow eating into your midfield rotation, you are going to be an average midfield/team.

Yeah, this "we don't have enough "elite" line of attack on our players was all the rage here back in 2016 before we won three flags too.

Thankfully, history has conclusively proven how much virtue those arguments had.

If we class Martin and Edwards as virtually permanent mids for the sake of argument (stretching things), with those two, Cotchin and Prestia as the genuine unquestioned four "elite" mids we had, after that you have to start making a case that it was possible to tell less than 30 games into their career (where Dow is at) that blokes like Grigg, Lambert, Caddy, Kmac etc. were rated "elite" enough to become 5-8 ranked premiership mids.

If you want to make a case that there is a huge cluster of 20+ players who rotate 5-8th through the midfields of the current top-8 teams who are genuinely "elite", and that persevering with Dow is a mistake because these blokes were so much better <30 games in, be my guest.

Have a look at the players you'd be spruiking - it's not a winnable position, but it would no doubt be amusing to see someone try. :thumbsu:

As I said, t this point of his career, Dow is tracking along fine to potentially reach that 5-8 kind of level in the rotation. He doesn't look elite, he looks like a capable hard worker who is steadily starting to keep up more often - just like our 5-8 premiership mids looked <30 games into their careers.

He needs to crack in more, I wouldn't mind to see him suspended for cracking in hard and taking somenes head off in a bump or tackle, I know people will laugh at me for saaying it but he needs to really get some aggression into his game.

D'ya reckon by now we might be sending players out with specific instructions to play with a bit of self-preservation for being available next week in mind? ;)

But seriously, he's no Rowell, few are, but I definitely wouldn't call him shy in and under either. Especially considering the opponents he's been exposed to so early in his career.

10 mins to go in the 1st, and this has easily been the best quarter of footy he has ever played

Can't wait for Ross, Prestia, Taranto and Hopper to come back. I can't recall ever seeing a more below average player play so many midfield minutes. We had long forgotten, nobodies in the mid to late 80's who the club never even paid, and were full time workers who were 10x better than this spud. He just doesn't do enough. I'd rather Sonsie start getting his midfield opportunities. He'd kill to play 12 straight games in the guts and we all know he's capable of delivering more than this bloke. 1st round pick? He does nothing better than average. Elite hands my arse. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must be the only slightly built inside mid in history who can't run, can't kick, can't find the pill who has no other position that he could possibly play. I just can't see him making it. Has played 12 games this year serving up 1 pretty good game. 1 good game. 2 or 3 meh games and 7 or 8 lousy to putrid games. Needs to be "rested" with Dusty next week bring Bolton and Prestia in. Rest Dow for remainder of season. His ceiling is lower than Prestias calf muscle. Terrible 1st round selection. Matty Clarke special.

Thought he was in our best five players in the first half.
No idea why he died in the ass in the second half. There's something to work with here but all people see is his size and I get it but feels a bit short sighted.

Thought he was in our best five players in the first half.
No idea why he died in the ass in the second half. There's something to work with here but all people see is his size and I get it but feels a bit short sighted.
for me his nbr 1 weakness is his defence... related to a lack of speed and tank/two way running (which leads to an inability to chase or run down his opponent, tackle much etc) and hence means getting destroyed by the oppo mids. The lack of size itself is not a killer (eg. Baker is great, Rioli etc).... but it also adds to the inability to defend / negate his opponent.
Add very average foot skills, meh overhead.... and the negatives (and what his oppo does to us) are just not worth his best attributes (decent handball and a sidestep, decent game awareness, does try to put his head over it).
McAuliff just immediatley and obviously looks to have more tools in his kit.... although they are not sharpened and hardened with experience just yet.

for me his nbr 1 weakness is his defence... related to a lack of speed and tank/two way running (which leads to an inability to chase or run down his opponent, tackle much etc) and hence means getting destroyed by the oppo mids. The lack of size itself is not a killer (eg. Baker is great, Rioli etc).... but it also adds to the inability to defend / negate his opponent.
Add very average foot skills, meh overhead.... and the negatives (and what his oppo does to us) are just not worth his best attributes (decent handball and a sidestep, decent game awareness, does try to put his head over it).
McAuliff just immediatley and obviously looks to have more tools in his kit.... although they are not sharpened and hardened with experience just yet.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said. He had something like 7 clearances though. Obviously he has short comings in his game but I'm seeing positives we can work with each week. Especially over the past month.

8 clearances, but faded too early.
He's trying, you can see it but either just can't reach consistency needed for afl or he needs a spell in the 2s.

Id give him a 1 year deal, but he needs a huge season in the gym
his attack on the footy has improved dramatically, a tank and the ability to stick an effective tackle is all he needs to be a solid afl level mid at this stage. landed some good tackles tonight so theres already improvement there.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said. He had something like 7 clearances though. Obviously he has short comings in his game but I'm seeing positives we can work with each week. Especially over the past month.
can't knock a positive hopeful outlook, and yeah, he had a crack, did get a bit of it... he's not terrible, but for me the ceiling just looks too low. good on the kid for being a 1000 x better athlete than i ever was and wearing the yellow and black.

For what ever reason he has seemingly attended less contest after half time, most notably the first after half time .
Those that can’t indetify his talent have NFI.
With increased tank and experience he’ll go past hopper quite easily and we’ve got hopper on a 7 year contract and gave up high draft picks .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back