Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel i need to apologise to big Brown dog. Since he arrived at the club ive looked at him as the most bog average player that gets AFL games consistently. I think he's built his tank to a level and has incredible hands that hes marginally moved above that bog average standard. Covers ground, provides a contest, kicks goals. With all the injuries at the moment he'd almost be first picked.

I've been consistenly "re-writing history" on this point from day 1 because it is what happened.

Stewart's form was fine, certainly not consistently bad enough to get dropped (because he was failing to provide a marking target, working up to the wings, etc). He was genuinely good against Geelong which was the third last match he played. He was solid against GWS, the second last match he played, hitting contests hard and providing a physical target.

He was dropped because he couldn't be trusted to kick a goal. That's the one thing Brown will do, together with get up to the wings to take a mark as long as there is no physical pressure. He's especially good at kicking goals and getting possessions sitting off the packs that Stewart would be busing (but which is currently left to smaller players).

It's interesting that perception of Laverde's games at the moment is that they are good contributions (last week aside) when he's basically doing exactly what Stewart was doing when Stewart was dropped.

Was ordinary against the Blues, as was everyone else, not bad against the Cats then had two poor games against Giants (where he had a bad case of the yips) and Tigers. Plenty of players been dropped for that type of form.

Don’t think he set the world on fire in VFL

Was ordinary against the Blues, as was everyone else, not bad against the Cats then had two poor games against Giants (where he had a bad case of the yips) and Tigers. Plenty of players been dropped for that type of form.

Don’t think he set the world on fire in VFL

That's the nature of the beast, particularly once you get into winter and the conditions get s**t.

It's not just rain and slow decks. It's unprotected ground with winds causing the game to be played on the 1 wing and 1 scoring end.

Last edited:

Well tbf all I said was he was having a mare during the first half yet I still apologised.. I don't know why. He was. But anyway what a second half.

It was within the first 10 minutes, but the signs were there. He was getting plenty of the ball and covering lots of ground. 14.7km for the game, elite for a mid, let alone a KPP.

This run he made from when Hartley has the ball to him getting it in the F50 is nuts considering he then goes back, looks completely chill, and nails a goal from 45 on a tight angle.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game. Look at him as a forward pocket rather than a key forward/tall forward and it’s less frustrating. Just need our players to look at him the same way, of or for his entire focus on contested marks to be to spoil towards our players

Definitely a beautiful kick for goal and hard working.

It's amazing that he can kick 4 goals the way he does. All Adelaide needed to do was put McKay on him and it would have been curtains. I mean there were occasions when McKay beat him in marking contests.

It's like everyone is still fooled that he is a key forward and measures his game by those metrics. They'd never leave a small forward to his own devices this way.

If I was Don Pyke the biggest question I would have is whether to drop myself next week or my defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back