Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I am not au fait with the workings of the inner sanctum, however have heard first hand opinions, I cannot make any comments with 100% conviction BUT as an observer of Harvey, his record in big games with this club has been ordinary to say the least, he becomes particularly insular when he does get tagged, he has been forced into the role because of a distinct lack of alternatives and perhaps his leadership is endemic of our performances in big games, including finals, throughout the 00's and 10's.

He has been a loyal servant, but it is time for him to move on and to think this won't have some influence over results last night I think is nonsense.

Ziebell is the man to change this soft mentality we have thrown up for a decade when crunch time has come.

He has got a real desire to succeed at all costs, and appears to know now he belongs at AFL level.

He can influence this group of younger men that need to change the way they go about things to take advantage of the most talented list we have had at the club since the glory days.

Harvey has been a great servant, but I don't think many wold consider him to be a leader of the highest class.

It's time we take a punt and anoint someone responsible enough to change the culture of the playing group, and Harvey's time is definitively up.

Boomer spent 3 qtr time arguing with the umpires about his rough tag... Time is right for a change.

I think Ziebell is the go. That hit on Riewolt was nasty, but it showed how much the game meant to him. He was the only one still charging 100%. He is inspirational, looks as though he could handle the responsibility & will just improve next year. Only problem is I think he'll miss at least the first 2-3 weeks next year reported.

I've been a big fan of Boomers (still am), but I reckon for the first time his body is starting to show signs of letting him down. I'd expect to see regular, and possibly rapidly increasing symptoms in 2012. Your captain needs to be on the park, fit n firing.

Symbolically, it's time our captain represented the future and is a leader from the younger brigade, not just of it.

Who? Clearly from Spitta and Jack. Ultimately, I'd prefer Jack due to the strong competitive streak and bit of mongrel he brings. But he is too young just now and Spitta has the runs on the board re consistently strong performances. Ref: Mitchell/Hodge.

I partly agree with Teffy. Plenty of other, important issues. Where I disagree is that this may well be one in 2012, particularly symbolically. Like 'Shinboner Spirit' the intangible elements can make abig difference.

The two likely replacements aren't as quick as Harvey so he should probaby keep it. Otherwise I say matt Campbell.

Thoughts?

I reckon this is 137 on a list of 138 important issues that North need to review.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think it's not a problem.

Heads were down everywhere across the ground last night. No-one could look to the captain for leadership, he was too busy whinging and offering nothing defensively. Time was ripe for Harvey to impact the contest, get the ball and just play keepings off for a bit and try and get some ascendancy back.

Harvey doesn't chase and tackle, so if he's having a poor night offensively, he contributes nothing.

When he gets tagged, he disappears. Shocking record against St Kilda.

At least when Ziebell, Swallow and Petrie have bad nights they still get involved, tackling like men possessed or in the case of Petrie, splitting packs and providing contests.

Swallow had 9 tackles last night (scoreboard at the ground had him on 11 though). How many did Harvey have? Just looked it up, lol. 2. Pathetic.

Some of the criticism of Boomer is harsh but given he is probably coming into his last year or two, I think the Simpson-esque staged handover is appropriate.

But Swallow is the man. Still young enough but a senior player, recognised and respected throughout the competition and does all the media, etc stuff well, which is important these days. Happy with JZ as VC.

The two likely replacements aren't as quick as Harvey so he should probaby keep it. Otherwise I say matt Campbell.

You're actually funnier when you're being nasty. :)

To answer the question, I think it's time to give it to Swallow. But Boomer will know when it's time to hand it over. That's the great thing about our club, there's no ego's.

You're actually funnier when you're being nasty. :)

To answer the question, I think it's time to give it to Swallow. But Boomer will know when it's time to hand it over. That's the great thing about our club, there's no ego's.

You cant be serious! Boomer doesnt have an ego!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He seriously has short mans syndrome and it shows
Last night showed just how bad he is when things dont go his way - just like his tirade earlier in the year
Its time to hand over the captaincy to someone who shows leadership
My only issue with giving it to Swalow is we have had a captain who was Captain Turnover and we dont need another (54% effective late last night), if he canwork on this then fine
Swallow should get it for the hard stuff he does otherwise Drew

Boomer has even gone on record as saying "he doesnt know if he will remain as captain for next season" So that basicly means he wont be.

It will be either Swallow or Petrie

Boomer is a legend of the football club, but this year has officially proven that when things don't go his way not only does he blame team mates in spae of the moment frustration but he lacks motivation and ticker to apply defensive pressure by chasing, tackling and lifting his team mates during rough times. His on-field leadership has been questioned for good reason on the outside world, its time for Swallow or Petrie to take over the ranks in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boomer is an absolute champion but I don't think he's the leader for NMFC. I hope he relinquishes the captaincy for Spitta to take over.

I think Spitta's ready and has proven himself as an onfield leader. Much as I love Jack and think he'd make a sensational captain I think he needs another couple of years before taking the mantle.

Making Spitta captain may also be an advantage for NMFC when it comes to luring David from Gold Coast.

I think you want your captain to be someone whose form is above reproach so that they can focus on leadership. Carey taking the captaincy at 21 made him twice the footballer as he had the authority to direct the team and organise the forward line.

Harvey should follow the example of his predecessors and hand the captaincy on - it is what Stevo did for Simpson and Simmo to Boomer. Hopefully - as others have said... he can then focus on his own game and have some fun in his last year.

As for who it should pass to... I disagree with a few of the comments made so far.

I like Ziebell a lot... please don't shout me down - but he is not the fastest guy on the list and there will be times in his career where that will be a factor at the selection table.

I would take Swallow every day of the week.

Carey was given the captaincy at a young age, had a lot of physical presence.

Who is around 21, a gun, and has a lot of physical presence around the contests....

Any one ring a bell? ;)

Also, can anyone shed some light on why Boomer was frustrated and complained to the umpires? They didn't show it on TV, obviously just focussing on the game.

Reason I ask is because Boomer gets tagged most weeks, and while he normally remonstrates with the tagger when frustrated, it was a bit abnormal last night.

Was there any over the top tactics?

There will come a time when Boomer hits the wall and his career will be over soon after that. It's not a nice thought but, at 33 years of age, it's reality. It could be next year and we don't want a situation where our captain is not performing. Having said that, Boomer appears to relish the captaincy and it should be up to him whether he hangs onto it for another year. Personally, I hope next year we have:

Captain: Swallow
Leadership Group: Petrie, Ziebell, Adams, Wells

Thanks Chris. Some good stuff there.

However, I have to ask... why the guernsey signed by 9 players? Seems kind of... redundant. Were the other guys too busy to sign it?

Hi,

This guernsey was due to be signed this year however only 9 players signed it at the signing session - it has a much lower reserve given this...
Hopefully a keen North supporter will purchase.

Cheers,

Chris

Just wondering if it would benefit a young captain (if JZ or Swallow were to be our next captain) if they played a year with Boomer still on the list. I think Boomer benefited greatly with Simmo still playing.
Of course, Drew might be the most logical choice to be our next captain too and due to his age, but not necessarily need the previous captain still at the club playing.
IMO, we should make a change and give it to one of the younger fellas.

Just wondering if it would benefit a young captain (if JZ or Swallow were to be our next captain) if they played a year with Boomer still on the list. I think Boomer benefited greatly with Simmo still playing.
Of course, Drew might be the most logical choice to be our next captain too and due to his age, but not necessarily need the previous captain still at the club playing.
IMO, we should make a change and give it to one of the younger fellas.

we have a history of putting the mantle on some one we have the desire to see become a true leader a couple of examples Dench and Duck

vote 1 Pedro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back