AFL Player #29: Jake "Bull" Kelly 🐂

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm saying that we would be better off playing a taller player to take Kennedy so Laverde stays on number 2. Then Ridley can play as an intercepter. We tried Francis forward while he was kicking arse down back. We have covered that. Play him back ahead of Kelly.
Kelly has been good tonight.

Suspect if Stewart wasn't injured he could have played that second tall.

Kennedy & Darling have ripped us for ever.

Straight goalkicking is killing us.

Kelly is the second best actual defender in our side.

Seriously.

Each week for the rest of the year eth, list the opposition forwards in effectiveness, then compare which one Kelly takes. Then consider the fact that he isn't taking an elite opponent means that Ridley is not intercepting as much this year.

Kelly has been good tonight.

Suspect if Stewart wasn't injured he could have played that second tall.

Kennedy & Darling have ripped us for ever.

Straight goalkicking is killing us.

Kelly seems like a level-headed young man who gets the most out of himself. He just doesn't offer our side much. I'd rather play Francis who has more to offer offensively and arielly. He's also quicker.

Those who defend Kelly. Why on earth would trade for an elite defensive player to defend Waterman, while Ridley takes Kennedy?

Imagine if we had a good sized defender instead of Kelly. Then that big guy could take Kennedy and Ridley could be third man up while sagging off Waterman.

Let's be clear. If Kelly was one of our best defenders he'd be on Kennedy, Darling or Ryan.

Who is he manning up eth-dog ?

Which elite forwards does this defender, with no offensive drive, keep quiet?

I’m not a Kelly fan but I don’t really see the logic to this post. Isn’t Kelly brought into play on smalls and mediums? He’s unrelated to our issues not having a tall defender.

I’m not a Kelly fan but I don’t really see the logic to this post. Isn’t Kelly brought into play on smalls and mediums? He’s unrelated to our issues not having a tall defender.
He defends the 5th or 6th forward. If he was replaced with a genuine tall then Ridley takes a spud like Waterman and sags off him to help whoever is on the talls.

Why is he always the guy to get the outlet kick. We need redman, mass etc getting those. He has no penetration in his leg to really move the ball forward. Good defensive game tonight though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was he consistently on Darling? Lav and Ridley zoning off? Kelly was brought in to play on the smalls like Ryan?
Jake Kelly is about 1cm shorter than Darling and about 11cm taller than Ryan. I hope this answers your question, at least in part.

Why is he always the guy to get the outlet kick. We need redman, mass etc getting those. He has no penetration in his leg to really move the ball forward. Good defensive game tonight though.

I think opposition teams know this and allow it to happen by zoning off him to be honest. That being said I thought he was ok tonight.

Why was he consistently on Darling? Lav and Ridley zoning off? Kelly was brought in to play on the smalls like Ryan?
He was brought in to play the deep defender. That means playing on whoever is deep.

Melbourne had Petty as a limited kick.
Richmond had Broad, Astbury and Grimes.
West Coast had Sheppard and Schofield
Dogs had Hamling and Roberts
Hawthorne had Stratton and Duryea

All of whom also happen to be pretty good defenders.
Dogs also had JJ, who won a Normie by running out of defence & hitting Sydney players on the chest!

I'll just leave this here...

Uh Huh Wow GIF by CBeebies HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back