AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Love how this kid is tracking. Hoping for significant inside minutes this season. Is going to be a player that influences games consistently.

Strong gut feeling hes going to have a breakout season. Similar to Clayton Oliver last season.

Not sure Parish will bust out year where everyone takes notice. I see him being more like Sloane who everyone always rated but has crept up on everyone to become one of the best midfielders in the league.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to Cassidy Parish the other day. He will be playing for Williamstown this season. I said I thought Essendon were going to draft you and he said I thought so too. I told him to keep his head up and leave no stone unturned, many a good AFL player has gone via the VFL. Such a nice lad, hope he makes it.

Apparently he has massive tickets on himself..

imo will be considered in top 5ish by the end of the year. Heppell, Merrett, Daniher, Hurley, Parish, Stringer, Hooker.

Nah I dont think very far from top 5.

Parish is to light and gets rag dolled to easily in contests for me. Parish is a good above average player. He does most things well but doesnt posses anything really exceptional about him, he doesnt do much wrong either. But the other guys are match winners or consistently very very good.

Missing from that list which are already better than Paris:

- McGrath
- Fantasia
- Tippa
- Smith

By the seasons end I would expect the following to also be above Parish - :

- McKenna
- Begley
- Saad

Everyone on these two lists have a much higher ceiling than Parish does, especially Tippa Fantasia Begley & McKenna who all poses elite traits in some form already and if they continue to develop at current pace could easily become elite by seasons end. The continued significant development of these guys will see our team catapult into contention ( pending game time & remaining injury free ).

Actually think that Parish may come under significant pressure from guys like Guelfi to retain his spot in the 22. By seasons end he may not necessarily be a guaranteed a spot in the team.

Parish is to light and gets rag dolled to easily in contests for me. Parish is a good above average player. He does most things well but doesnt posses anything really exceptional about him, he doesnt do much wrong either. But the other guys are match winners or consistently very very good.

- McGrath
- Fantasia
- Tippa
- Smith

- McKenna
- Begley
- Saad

Everyone on these two lists have a much higher ceiling than Parish does, especially Tippa Fantasia Begley & McKenna who all poses elite traits in some form already and if they continue to develop at current pace could easily become elite by seasons end. The continued significant development of these guys will see our team catapult into contention ( pending game time & remaining injury free ).

Actually think that Parish may come under significant pressure from guys like Guelfi to retain his spot in the 22. By seasons end he may not necessarily be a guaranteed a spot in the team.

Wow I don't think you are going to find much support on here for your viewpoint. I think you're a bit crazy to even suggest he wouldn't be guaranteed a spot in the team. He's been a starter for his entire first 2 years. He's only gotten bigger, stronger and fitter since then.

I'd say of the guys aged 25 and under that it would go: Daniher, Zerrett, McGrath, Parish, Fantasia as the order of the most talented.
I think Parish will have a breakout year as a full time mid. No way will guys like Saad or McKenna end up better.

Wow I don't think you are going to find much support on here for your viewpoint. I think you're a bit crazy to even suggest he wouldn't be guaranteed a spot in the team. He's been a starter for his entire first 2 years. He's only gotten bigger, stronger and fitter since then.

I'd say of the guys aged 25 and under that it would go: Daniher, Zerrett, McGrath, Parish, Fantasia as the order of the most talented.
I think Parish will have a breakout year as a full time mid. No way will guys like Saad or McKenna end up better.

Parish as I have said is a good above average player. But not much better. He is in our top 20 at this point. However his position like others isn’t fixed. If it is we are all in a deep pool of rancid shitzen and we can forget about premierships in this Comp.

Sure Parish will be fitter and stronger after two seasons in the AFL. Well guess what ? So are all the other guys I have listed and then some.

I don’t care if you agree with me, or if you think my point is crazy. I don’t care one little bit. I want premierships not stupid mediocrity... I want selection pressure, not automatic starts. Pressure will ensure that the best possible team is on the park.

Parish benefited significantly from the suspensions and a lack of selection pressure due to the presence of too many older guys like Hocking, Bird, Howlett who were thought of as being cooked. Last year he was good without being great.

Because of the significant advancement of others alike Tippa and Mckeena, the recruitment of Smith especially, Stringer and Saad along with to a lesser extent Guelfi he isn’t automatic. Wake up an see the truth.

What i have seen at training with his contested work concerns me a bit - but you have your finger on the pulse and know what’s going on Blitzer.

He has a role in this side, but not as an automatic selection. In two years time he will be a reliable foot soilder. You need these guys, they are very important. But he is hardly a match winner. Let’s be honest with it guys.

Parish as I have said is a good above average player. But not much better. He is in our top 20 at this point. However his position like others isn’t fixed. If it is we are all in a deep pool of rancid shitzen and we can forget about premierships in this Comp.

Sure Parish will be fitter and stronger after two seasons in the AFL. Well guess what ? So are all the other guys I have listed and then some.

I don’t care if you agree with me, or if you think my point is crazy. I don’t care one little bit. I want premierships not stupid mediocrity... I want selection pressure, not automatic starts. Pressure will ensure that the best possible team is on the park.

Parish benefited significantly from the suspensions and a lack of selection pressure due to the presence of too many older guys like Hocking, Bird, Howlett who were thought of as being cooked. Last year he was good without being great.

Because of the significant advancement of others alike Tippa and Mckeena, the recruitment of Smith especially, Stringer and Saad along with to a lesser extent Guelfi he isn’t automatic. Wake up an see the truth.

What i have seen at training with his contested work concerns me a bit - but you have your finger on the pulse and know what’s going on Blitzer.

He has a role in this side, but not as an automatic selection. In two years time he will be a reliable foot soilder. You need these guys, they are very important. But he is hardly a match winner. Let’s be honest with it guys.

I think your comment about him being a foot soldier is a bit off the mark. I'd say he's tracking every bit as good, if not better, than someone like Lachie Neale who is shorter and was lighter after 2 seasons. Lachie then filled out, learned how to contest against AFL bodies and went from strength to strength. That's what we need to remember, Parish has only had 2 years in the system. Very few players are established A graders after 2 seasons.

Will he become a consistent A-grader, will his game plateau and he becomes a B-grader, will his drive, work rate and tenacity see him become a player who plays above his (considerable) natural talent and become a blue collar star (sort of like Sloane has)? Who knows but he's definitely best 22 at this stage, that much is certain. If he does come under selection pressure, then as Beerfish says above, we're in a damn good spot.

- McGrath
- Fantasia
- Tippa
- Smith

- McKenna
- Begley
- Saad

Hah.

If Parish is the ordinary player that you say he is, then our midfield is stuffed.

He was our best midfielder in the EF, probably top 3 overall. He had the most clearances, equal with Kennedy. He was 3rd in contested possessions behind only Kennedy and Parker. All of this in our most important game of the year.

I have zero concerns about Parish. He'll play more midfield time than last year, which will see him capitalise on his talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back