AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

St
Serong gave him an absolute bath. Those TSFS clips weren't even the ones I was thinking of where he basically left Parish for dead offensively, and Parish couldn't (or wouldn't) go with him defensively.

I'll give him a mulligan for his first game back since injury. 14 contested and 9 clearances - both team highs - looks great on the stat sheet but it was a pretty crap game.
Story of his game. Fans look at his stats but don’t realise he’s a turnover merchant and horribly defensively. Yet again what’s our win/loss record with and without him the last 2 years ?

Once again any discussion surrounding Parish is poisoned by people being unable to give ground.

Parish had a poor game, had some good moments early but did some things that people who aren't a fan of his point to as to why they aren't fans.
Not one of these people have said Parish is a bad player, he just has habits they don't like.

But people point it out and people come out to leap to his defence and whenever he does play well are so quick to point how good he is, you would be stupid for ever even considering trading him, he's key to any success we may want etc.

It's an impossible conversation because of a gross misunderstanding of the original point of many with Parish (great player, worth something, IF he was gonna go and you got top top end draft capital you consider it because he's the only player actually worth something).
Can't have any nuanced conversation here though, Too much for this supporter base.

The whole team was flat, and probably played their poorest game of the year.
Now they run into a rampaging Port, let's see how they respond, Parish included.

St

Story of his game. Fans look at his stats but don’t realise he’s a turnover merchant and horribly defensively. Yet again what’s our win/loss record with and without him the last 2 years ?
The are not always the be all and end all but are a reasonable indicator of performance no?

To be fair, he was being touted as an AA mid before he went down injured. I'll concede that the footage looks poor but it was his first game back after 6 weeks off and he was actually pretty good apart from some a couple of moments that have been highlighted.

Despite having some poor moments he was still named in the bests on the AFL website, The Age and the Herald Sun. I didn't bother checking anywhere else but it was helpful because I read some of the comments in here and thought that I had watched a different game.

Once again any discussion surrounding Parish is poisoned by people being unable to give ground.

Parish had a poor game, had some good moments early but did some things that people who aren't a fan of his point to as to why they aren't fans.
Not one of these people have said Parish is a bad player, he just has habits they don't like.

But people point it out and people come out to leap to his defence and whenever he does play well are so quick to point how good he is, you would be stupid for ever even considering trading him, he's key to any success we may want etc.

It's an impossible conversation because of a gross misunderstanding of the original point of many with Parish (great player, worth something, IF he was gonna go and you got top top end draft capital you consider it because he's the only player actually worth something).
Can't have any nuanced conversation here though, Too much for this supporter base.

Now they run into a rampaging Port, let's see how they respond, Parish included.
This is the thing though. I don't think he was poor... He had some poor moments sure, but overall he was ok.

The are not always the be all and end all but are a reasonable indicator of performance no?

To be fair, he was being touted as an AA mid before he went down injured. I'll concede that the footage looks poor but it was his first game back after 6 weeks off and he was actually pretty good apart from some a couple of moments that have been highlighted.

Despite having some poor moments he was still named in the bests on the AFL website, The Age and the Herald Sun. I didn't bother checking anywhere else but it was helpful because I read some of the comments in here and thought that I had watched a different game.
This is him every week and the basis of the argument of his detractors. I thought everyone could see this.

I wonder if the Freo supporters were as harsh on their mids in the first halt when Parish was on top ?

His role is win clearances and feed it out to the runners, sometimes when you hunt the ball as hard as he does and you don't win it it can go the other way quite quickly.

I just don't get that he is the only one that gets criticized when we lose in the midfield ?
I just think that standing off your man and waiting for the easy receive isn't hunting the ball. He needs to compete with other hunters, and sometimes he needs to help his team mates by preventing others from hunting.

Agree. Parish is fire when the circumstances are right. Last night they weren't and he didn't adjust and there was a clear impact. That's all.

Very well said

Im a bit lost as to what the discussion is now

Hes a good to very good player. Imo we cant afford to lose with where we are.

But he would net valuable compensation

Id say i could make the same clips about Daicos whos considered a top 5 player in the comp by many

Twomey is also basically saying hes staying aswell

This is the thing though. I don't think he was poor... He had some poor moments sure, but overall he was ok.
For all elite stuff he does, I get frustrated when he kicks it directly to the opposition, especially when he’s not under pressure. However maybe that’s just a chink in his armour that they need to work around.

He does also appear to not give 100% when he could tackle or chase another player. Again it’s being picky because he’s obviously elite offensively with his clearances etc. I must admit that some of the stuff he does is absolutely sublime, so maybe that puts expectations on other parts of his game to be the same.

I just think that standing off your man and waiting for the easy receive isn't hunting the ball. He needs to compete with other hunters, and sometimes he needs to help his team mates by preventing others from hunting.
He doesn't know how to get an easy receive, he is our main get in and get it out clearance player.

Just frustrates the F#$k out of me as to why after every loss he's the first blamed whilst others get a free ride.

For all elite stuff he does, I get frustrated when he kicks it directly to the opposition, especially when he’s not under pressure. However maybe that’s just a chink in his armour that they need to work around.

He does also appear to not give 100% when he could tackle or chase another player. Again it’s being picky because he’s obviously elite offensively with his clearances etc. I must admit that some of the stuff he does is absolutely sublime, so maybe that puts expectations on other parts of his game to be the same.
I get it, I totally do.

He doesn't know how to get an easy receive, he is our main get in and get it out clearance player.

Just frustrates the F#$k out of me as to why after every loss he's the first blamed whilst others get a free ride.
Yet you've seen ample evidence today of him doing exactly that.

FWIW, I don't go after Parish every time we lose. I commented last night because one of our main structural weapons, CBs, was nullified in large part due to the inaction of a senior player.

I think we had very few players who weren't poor, parish at least had an excuse and for someone coming off injury, he probably was as good as can be expected.
But it was a dreadful performance by everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the first one Bryan gets his hand to the ball but Darcy stays at ground level and tries to muscle Bryan out of the way. The resulting tap is partially ineffective. No idea what Stringer is up to as he seems to be headed in a completely different direction to the ball and is uninterested in his man (Brayshaw). You then have Lloyd bitching about Parish for not being hard enough, when he was the only one close enough to even touch Brayshaw, gets a hand to him but he pirouettes out of reach and takes off in the direction Parish had just come from. Parish had too much momentum to change directions that quickly, and Brayshaw gives it to Parish's opponent (who he'd left in order to tackle Stringer's opponent) and Merrett takes off after him.

In the second one Fremantle's three mids are all tagging our mids. Merrett is being hugged by Brayshaw (a much bigger player), Hobbs is wrestling with Fyfe on the right behind the graphics (and losing), and Parish manages to break Serong's tag by launching himself forward, at which point Serong "shoves" him under the ball (Lloyd's interpretation). Bryan was aiming for Hobbs anyway, so Parish is kinda irrelevant other than to say he got beaten. Effectively Fremantle had a centre bounce plan to put their biggest mids in there and put a heavy tag on all three of ours, such that they all sacrificed their own games to keep us out of the contest. Is Bryan so difficult to predict and Darcy so unlikely to win the tap with Bryan sitting on his head, that they'd rather plan around a loose ground ball? :drunk: Anyway the ball spills loose in the centre circle, Serong runs after it, Hobbs breaks away from Fyfe and Durham arrives off the wing, but Serong kicks inside their 50 right before Durham can make contact.

Third example Flip is in there, both rucks jump and both rucks completely missed the ball. The ball comes down forward of the contest, which Parish reads quite well and goes for the fall of the ball, but the ball lands on it's end and bounces bullet-like towards Stringer and Fyfe's feet, so basically reversed it's direction from a weird bounce. Stringer tackles Fyfe, but Fyfe is too quick and has already gathered the ball and flicked it to Serong (Parish's man). If that ball had bounced the way most people would have anticipated, Parish would've been home free.

The last one is Wright in the ruck and he jumps but the ball favours Darcy who taps it straight to Serong. The others in there are Caldwell and Perkins, with Perkins on Serong. Perkins loses body contact, catches Serong around the hips after he's started to sprint forward and basically just gets dragged along behind without slowing him down a whole lot. Parish tries to impact Serong's disposal but Serong flies past him with Perkins still hanging on to him and handballs it behind Parish's back to Brayshaw.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we're losing the hit-outs to advantage and then losing the clearances.

I also don't think it's a problem that Parish is trying to win the ball with his own hands since that's what he's there for. He'd be a lot more effective if the blokes charged with blocking Brayshaw and Serong were a bit more effective: Stringer seems disinterested in those clips, and Perkins just wasn't strong enough.

There's another one from the first quarter where Flip gets a nice tap straight down Hobbs' throat, but Merrett gets in Hobbs' road while trying to intercept the tap, and Stringer's opponent then tackles Hobbs, who has one arm pinned, loses the ball off the free hand and is called a throw, with a free kick against.

The chemistry is just way off and none of them are trusting or supporting each other.

I miss Setterfield.

First game back after a decent lay off.
Callum Mills and Lachie Weller who came back this week after similar lay offs were subbed out for the last quarter of their games.
Might not have been the worst thing for Parish as well. Seemed to start very nicely but dropped away, could have perhaps even given more in the second and third if he thought he’s a chance to have the last quarter off.

Was far from Parish’s best game, but was one of our better mids alongside Merrett.
Team tackling seemed way down, I remember against Carlton I thought it amusing only 1 player had more tackles for them than Dow who came on in the last and had 3 (Kennedy had 5).
This week our highest were Merrett, Snelling and Hobbs with 4 apiece which seems way off.

I'll admit I was one who was letting my eyes wander toward getting a free agency pick. Parish although not perfect, he has an undeniable skill set that we need in our team. The pick isn't looking as glossy as it did at the start of the season either. My eyes are now back on Parish. Parish.jpg

Last edited:
How much do you expect to be paid for shithouse performances like that Parish?

Worse teams have let better players walk.

Gun players win games. This bloke is nothing more than an accumulator.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back