Past #3: Jed Anderson - delisted end '22 - 89 NMFC games - go well Jed

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for intruding but, as someone who also had a bad reaction to the first, it is almost impossible to get an exemption from the second. Even myocarditis isn't enough to get a waiver. I really feel for Anderson.
For crying out loud just carry a tennis racket aroundšŸ˜

"Poor" or "serious" I dunno....

I get what you're saying but maybe you are reading too much into the language in a press release.

Maybe they are in the process of obtaining a medical exemption.

He may just be paranoid because his dad died in his arms out the front of their house when he was young. From a heart attack.

Maybe he's paranoid about heart issues from the vaccine and his kids going thru something similar.

Let's see I guess however statements are normally carefully worded.

I sincerely hope he can be managed through and that he gets back training/playing us asap, I rate him.

Thanks for sharing and that does sound bloody awful.
Pardon my naivety, but if it was a serious episode of myocarditis in Anderson's case, wouldn't it be unlikely that he'd be back training for an elite competitive sport just weeks after the ordeal?
I dont know if Anderson had myo. I was just using it as an example. I know there have been lots of heart problems post vax but many others (like myself) got neurological symptoms. Noone I have talked to could get an exemption.

But if that was the case with Jed, I'd be very surprised that this article would have appeared at all. The club would've gone to AFL House, applied for a medical exemption. Jed's medical exemption would have been super easy to get because the anaphylaxis would have happened in the presence of medical workers. Alternative arrangements would have been made between the club and the league discretely and quickly. Instead we have this 11th hour absence, an ambiguous news story, and the club saying "We will continue to work with Jed on next steps," not "We will continue to pursue a medical exemption on his behalf".
Maybe what you are saying is true. I dunno.

I wouldn't be reading anything into the wording of the statement tho.

Even without a poor reaction mid December is only about the time between doses anyway and afaik the NT is behind on its rollout compared to everywhere else. It certainly was. To the point where they had severe lockouts for unvaccinated people across the territory very recently. So if he's trying to see medical people and unvaccinated I reckon it would be a pita right now.

Jed seems pretty conscientious. He was prepared to pay his own way to Utah to help his fitness and doesn't have stories floating around about his sleevo like behaviour. It seems odd he'd have one dose and not the second without a good reason.

I dont know if Anderson had myo. I was just using it as an example. I know there have been lots of heart problems post vax but many others (like myself) got neurological symptoms. Noone I have talked to could get an exemption.

Probably the wrong thread but can I ask what neurological symptoms you have or are popping up for people in general?

Sad news, but he can't play AFL and remain in NT. Difficult times for everyone and Jed has to make a decision about what is best for him and his family for the long-term. There is life after footy.

I am surprised that this was left in limbo until after it was time to return to training, not sure what is going to change. It would be unfair to coerce him into getting vaccinated if he made a decision he doesn't want to and was aware he failed to do so by the cut-off date.

Sad news, but he can't play AFL and remain in NT. Difficult times for everyone and Jed has to make a decision about what is best for him and his family for the long-term. There is life after footy.

I am surprised that this was left in limbo until after it was time to return to training, not sure what is going to change. It would be unfair to coerce him into getting vaccinated if he made a decision he doesn't want to and was aware he failed to do so by the cut-off date.
My understanding was the club expected him to be back for Jan 10 but he's decided to say interstate.

Borderline best 22 for me in fact many posters teams left him out in the prediction thread

I only just snuck him on the bench

He was definitely best 22, but in saying that, I think he was in danger of not being offered another contract at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding was the club expected him to be back for Jan 10 but he's decided to say interstate.

If you do not show up for training it is ground for termination of your contract, without payout.

Borderline best 22 for me in fact many posters teams left him out in the prediction thread

Just remember guys that flags & in our case an sort of ā€œimprovement ā€œ this season is relying on the 40-42 players on our list . The ā€œbest 22ā€ comment / opinion is only based on the fact that we will go the whole season without 1 single injury. We all know this is not fact . All it takes (hate to say it) we lose an LDU , JY or a Greenwood etcā€¦. & then what ?
I just donā€™t like the comment ā€œitā€™s ok, heā€™s not in our best 22 anywayā€ ā€¦..
Even if this statement is true (which I disagree) .
A player l& role model like Jed is absolutely invaluable to a young team like us. Jed sets the perfect example on his attitude towards training, hard work ,attack on the footy & opponent. Not to mention how important he is to most of our indigenous young players as well.

Roo not yet fully vaxxed

GLENN McFARLANE MATT TURNER
NORTH Melbourne midfielder Jed Anderson is yet to return to pre-season because he has received only one dose of the Covid vaccine.

As clubs including the Roos resumed training this week, Northern Territory-born Anderson remained in Darwin and was understood to be hesitant to have his second jab.

Players who had been allowed to train interstate over Christmas needed to be double vaccinated by the weekend to reintegrate with their clubs.

The Kangaroos had expected the 27-year-old, who had his first shot in mid-December, to have his second dose before the deadline.

Now they are working with him in the hope he will have his next jab and be able to come back to Arden St.

In a statement to the Herald Sun, the Kangaroos said Anderson had not received his second vaccination dose ā€œdue to a poor reaction to his firstā€.

ā€œWe will continue to work with Jed on next steps but in the short term he will remain in Darwin, where he will complete his training program,ā€ the statement said.
ā€œOur club fully supports the AFLā€™s vaccination policy and in the interests of community health and safety, we urge everyone to receive their full course of vaccinations and booster shots.ā€

North Melbourne had about a dozen players missing from training on Monday because they were close contacts or isolating with Covid.

Aside from Anderson, the rest of Roos squad has had their two Covid vaccine doses.

Under the AFLā€™s vaccination policy in Victoria, all players needed to be double vaccinated by November 26, but Anderson stayed in the NT to train and visit family.

Carlton defender Liam Jones retired in November after refusing the Covid vaccine.

he'll be a massive loss. especially without Cunners. He's a better player than Greenwood.

To be honest, I don't think I'll have an assessment on Greenwood till I've seen him play some games in the blue and white (pretty much never watch a Suns game unless it is against us).

He was great in 2020 and probably would have been in 2021 if not injured. Both would make opposition mids feel nervous.

We really fell in a hole towards the end of last year when Cunners went out. At minimum we need one of Jed, Cunners, Greenwood in the middle (and ideally cycling at least 2 of them through during a game).

He is best 22 - his role this year would have been as a defensive forward with some limited midfield time.

I think he would have excelled in this role with his pressure and tackling skills - Jed should be right at the peak of his powers in 2022.

If Jed is unable to play then we will need to find someone to fill this role - Mahoney has been doing it but Kyron, Atu - even your mate Bailey - could be given the chance to play defensive forward. We have options but Jed would be first choice if available.

Apologies for intruding but, as someone who also had a bad reaction to the first, it is almost impossible to get an exemption from the second. Even myocarditis isn't enough to get a waiver. I really feel for Anderson.
Exactly this happened to a friend of mine. Hospitalised for two days and couldn't get an exemption. Completely ridiculous.

Whether or not you think Jed is best 22, this is a year where clubs' depth will be tested more than ever. Each club will be expecting to go through periods missing groups of players at a time due to Covid. In that sense, losing a proven AFL quality player - regardless of whether he would ordinarily be destined to be selected each week in ordinary times - will hit hard. Hope they work this out.

Just remember guys that flags & in our case an sort of ā€œimprovement ā€œ this season is relying on the 40-42 players on our list . The ā€œbest 22ā€ comment / opinion is only based on the fact that we will go the whole season without 1 single injury. We all know this is not fact . All it takes (hate to say it) we lose an LDU , JY or a Greenwood etcā€¦. & then what ?
I just donā€™t like the comment ā€œitā€™s ok, heā€™s not in our best 22 anywayā€ ā€¦..
Even if this statement is true (which I disagree) .
A player l& role model like Jed is absolutely invaluable to a young team like us. Jed sets the perfect example on his attitude towards training, hard work ,attack on the footy & opponent. Not to mention how important he is to most of our indigenous young players as well.

Not to mention its likely all clubs will have forced outs throughout the year as players catch COVID

Remove this Banner Ad

Back