Society/Culture 30% Australians born overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the idea of an “Australian Culture” o_O

I assume most of the posters in this thread are white Aussie and we cannot agree on a single thing :think:

The whole idea of and Aussie culture is absurd and only exists to exclude “others”
I don't think Australians claiming values/ cultures is to exclude anyone. It's meant to be inclusive and except for the crime element it has been inclusive. Hasn't it? Mostly?

Maggie, you say you have lived in the country, but you're surprised that they think kangaroos jump down our streets? I've lived in about 8 locations, 6 suburbia and 2 country, and I think only 1 out of those 8 did I never see a kangaroo hop by near the house. We have twice as many roos as we do humans, if you don't see them then you aren't looking (or live in the inner city).

As for the difference between us and the US... well looking back 10 years ago when I was finishing my apprenticeship, my days would involve:

- Waking up at 530 to my triple J alarm, jump in my Holden and drive on the left hand side of the road to work.

- Listen to The Living End on the radio, grab a pie with sauce for lunch.

- Work in my Blundstone boots with my Makita tools till 4.

- Drive home for a meat-and-three-veg dinner with the missus and watch the footy show with a cold Carlton Drought.

If any of these behaviours are common in downtown Texas (let alone Beijing or New Delhi) then let me know.
Think you may need to re-read what I wrote re kangaroos.

What has all this do with RIP Australian Culture and the impact of migrants?

Maggie, you say you have lived in the country, but you're surprised that they think kangaroos jump down our streets? I've lived in about 8 locations, 6 suburbia and 2 country, and I think only 1 out of those 8 did I never see a kangaroo hop by near the house. We have twice as many roos as we do humans, if you don't see them then you aren't looking (or live in the inner city).

As for the difference between us and the US... well looking back 10 years ago when I was finishing my apprenticeship, my days would involve:

- Waking up at 530 to my triple J alarm, jump in my Holden and drive on the left hand side of the road to work.

- Listen to The Living End on the radio, grab a pie with sauce for lunch.

- Work in my Blundstone boots with my Makita tools till 4.

- Drive home for a meat-and-three-veg dinner with the missus and watch the footy show with a cold Carlton Drought.

If any of these behaviours are common in downtown Texas (let alone Beijing or New Delhi) then let me know.

Firstly, there is no "down town Texas". Texas is a a very large state. That being said, nothing of which you said is culturally unique. Texas Joe awakes to some AC/DC on his alarm clock, and makes a coffee for his 6am start. Puts on a pair of work boots, Jumps in his Chevy Blazer (GM owns Holden) and uses his Makita tools. Drives home for his meat and 3 veg dinner to his family and watches Monday night footy.
Cultural differences to your example? Basically nil.

As for Kangas. I live in Athelstone (inner nth east suburb) In the last two days i've had two koalas at my front door to get a drink and driving to the local shops dodged one roo hopping down Maryvale rd.

Last edited:

abc_jamie_coots_ll_131121_33x16_1600.jpg

You could say the percentage of foreign-born population has been fluctuating since the English conquest of the continent.

You need to look up the word "conquest" in the dictionary.

People saying Australia has a similar culture to the other British Isles-German settled places...ah yeah, that's kind of the point isn't it?

If there is such thing as an Australian culture then surely it is one that reflects our nation's history... which, after white settlement, is a history of multiple waves of immigration. I'm not sure how new immigrants coming is really that much of a threat to a culture that is built upon immigration.

Firstly, there is no "down town Texas". Texas is a a very large state. That being said, nothing of which you said is culturally unique. Texas Joe awakes to some AC/DC on his alarm clock, and makes a coffee for his 6am start. Puts on a pair of work boots, Jumps in his Chevy Blazer (GM owns Holden) and uses his Makita tools. Drives home for his meat and 3 veg dinner to his family and watches Monday night footy.

As for Kangas. I live in Athelstone (inner nth east suburb) In the last two days i've had two koalas at my front door to get a drink and driving to the local shops dodged one roo hopping down Maryvale rd.
The differences may be subtle, but they're there. It recently became a massive internet meme that people in the US should start saying "cheers, mate" to their bus driver when they got off the bus. It had never been a norm for them to thank bus drivers like we do here, just like tipping isn't much of a norm here but is for them.

You do make a point though. It is unlikely that large numbers of US immigrants would shift our culture too much. It would be nice to have a higher percentage of immigrants be from countries that are more similar to our own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just for the "I'm not racist, but..." crowd.

Close to a third of that 27.8% come from the UK and NZ alone.
Well that's a relief, 2 of the most loserish of western regions. What we need is more Yanks, Irish, Dutchies and Poles. Less people from loser countries like England, France, Germany etc.

RIP Australian culture
What part of Australian culture died due to immigration exactly? And how has that affected us negatively?

The funny thing is the country which I think has the biggest influence of Australian Culture (apart from England which is the template our parliament was originally based on) is a country we have a small immigration intake from. That is the USA. A perfect example is how we now seem to celebrate Halloween. 30 years ago it wasn't celebrated at all here, to be honest it doesn't really bother me. Just because something like this is celebrated doesn't mean that another part of our culture no longer exists.

The thing about Culture is that it's not a stagnant thing. It is something that continually evolves and changes. If it's not through immigration then it would be through technology, science, media, global/local events etc.

Our views on religion and rich people are very different to the average American. If we don't have a culture, then pretty much nobody does as they all share qualities with others and have at least some amount of internal diversity.

Well that's a relief, 2 of the most loserish of western regions. What we need is more Yanks, Irish, Dutchies and Poles. Less people from loser countries like England, France, Germany etc.
Citizenship test for the French I think includes a question on whether it is OK to poo in the street. The right answer never starts with "Yes", even if followed by "as long as you lay a tissue over it when you are finished".

You see colour in every debate. Its not always about you
You don't think that FireKraquora's comment about RIP Australian culture was about colour/race?

May as well say the same thing to me as that is the way I saw it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back