Player Watch #32: Tom Sparrow – in until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Fwiw I spoke to some family who went to the season launch and chatted with players and staff and they told me there is definitely an intent to change the way we move the ball but an admission that we're not close to the level we want to be.

The optimistic take is that we've been so drilled defensively that changing our ball movement is going to take a little while to click and the best time for that to happen is early in the season. If we persist with it we might actually see genuine improvement over the season.

The pessimistic take is that we simply don't have the cattle to play the same outside style as Collingwood, GWS, Sydney etc as we are so top heavy with inside midfielders who only know how to bomb it as far as possible.
If Geelong could change we can too, you picture fast ball movement and lots of run and then you think of May taking on dangerous kicks to open up the ground, Mcvee, Rivers, Windsor, Langdon running from behind centre and linking up with ANB, Pickett, Chandler etc. There's enough pace there.
The problem is the ball goes through the hands of Oliver, Sparrow, Trac, Viney, Gawn for the majority of the game and if they wanna play a slow safe style the rest of the team has no choice.

If Geelong could change we can too, you picture fast ball movement and lots of run and then you think of May taking on dangerous kicks to open up the ground, Mcvee, Rivers, Windsor, Langdon running from behind centre and linking up with ANB, Pickett, Chandler etc. There's enough pace there.
The problem is the ball goes through the hands of Oliver, Sparrow, Trac, Viney, Gawn for the majority of the game and if they wanna play a slow safe style the rest of the team has no choice.
Agreed.

I think Viney is genuinely trying to change. He's developed a right foot and definitely is trying to hit up forward targets now.

Last night he was run down on the forward flank trying to take on three Swans. Inbetween each evasive maneuver he glanced up looking for a target. I bet all the forwards were stationary or running back to goal despite Viney's right foot having a range of 30m tops.

After this, he went back to bomb it long.

It's a chicken and an egg conundrum. Forwards don't lead because mids bomb long, mids bomb long because forwards don't lead. Good coaching is required as a circuit breaker.

In short, we're boned.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed.

I think Viney is genuinely trying to change. He's developed a right foot and definitely is trying to hit up forward targets now.

Last night he was run down on the forward flank trying to take on three Swans. Inbetween each evasive maneuver he glanced up looking for a target. I bet all the forwards were stationary or running back to goal despite Viney's right foot having a range of 30m tops.

After this, he went back to bomb it long.

It's a chicken and an egg conundrum. Forwards don't lead because mids bomb long, mids bomb long because forwards don't lead. Good coaching is required as a circuit breaker.

In short, we're boned.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I agree I wouldn't criticize Viney for that either, he didn't wanna just bomb it

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Imagine having a good all round win and your first thought is 'you know what, I'm gonna go bump that thread of the player who had a s**t game....'

Imagine having a good all round win and your first thought is 'you know what, I'm gonna go bump that thread of the player who had a s**t game....'
Imagine it not actually being my first thought and you're talking out your ass as per usual.

I think the criticism is warranted. Just because we had a good win doesn't mean players can't be scrutinised. I think we can expect more from Sparrow because he was well under his best

I think the criticism is warranted. Just because we had a good win doesn't mean players can't be scrutinised. I think we can expect more from Sparrow because he was well under his best

Absolutely. He was rubbish today. Just think it's ridiculous how the first thing certain posters here think to do is find the player they don't like and bag them, even after a good win. He's a whipping boy atm.

You might prefer Demonland if you only want sunshine and rainbows.

Hore and Windsor threads also got a bump because they were excellent. This thread got a bump because he was bad. It's just discussion Nevvy. Nevster? Nevva.

Hore and Windsor threads also got a bump because they were excellent. This thread got a bump because he was bad. It's just discussion Nevvy. Nevster? Nevva.

I said how great my favourite player Clayton Oliver was first thing after the game fwiw. Hard to believe Nev had a go at Slick in the good bad and ugly review after a great win. Disgusting. He lives in a universe where there are rules for everyone else and none for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely give them a bake when they deserve it, I called him out in the good, bad, ugly thread myself. Just signs of the sad lives a certain few here live that first thing after a win is go bump a thread for a player they don't like. There's literally 2-3 threads after every game about discussing the game itself, who performed, who may get dropped... Going to bump a thread is just low stuff for mine.

Each to their own. Just a shame the percentage of good quality posters here is so low compared to the ridiculous post counts of the handful who bang on every day.

Absolutely give them a bake when they deserve it, I called him out in the good, bad, ugly thread myself. Just signs of the sad lives a certain few here live that first thing after a win is go bump a thread for a player they don't like. There's literally 2-3 threads after every game about discussing the game itself, who performed, who may get dropped... Going to bump a thread is just low stuff for mine.

Each to their own. Just a shame the percentage of good quality posters here is so low compared to the ridiculous post counts of the handful who bang on every day.

I like seeing the occasional updates in player threads. It's a nice time capsule we can look back and and ride the highs and lows of their careers. It's fun to look back and see the melts, the cheers, the good calls - all of it.

Forget that you can only post in player threads if its Lord Nev approved twitter or positive news. Dude is genuinely trying to turn the place into demonland.

Absolutely. He was rubbish today. Just think it's ridiculous how the first thing certain posters here think to do is find the player they don't like and bag them, even after a good win. He's a whipping boy atm.
TBF pretty sure A11dAtP0w3R has been very critical of Oliver but was quick to say he was good today, probably before coming to this thread.

Forget that you can only post in player threads if its Lord Nev approved twitter or positive news. Dude is genuinely trying to turn the place into demonland.
Seriously though, what's with people on here trying to dictate what people should post, win lose or draw. It's a footy forum ffs..

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d say 11 disposals with 0 tackles is concerning but I’ve been saying for a long time I’m not sure what his role is. I actually think we are partly to blame for his lack of impact in this regard, like what position is he actually playing?

I think Windsor was very stiff to be subbed over Sparrow.

I’d say 11 disposals with 0 tackles is concerning but I’ve been saying for a long time I’m not sure what his role is. I actually think we are partly to blame for his lack of impact in this regard, like what position is he actually playing?

I think Windsor was very stiff to be subbed over Sparrow.
Don't think Windsor being subbed was a slight on him. Might have been they were just managing a young bloke on a hot day who had been running a marathon.

Yeah that was my thought too, it had to be related to Windsor being stuffed.
Most kids only play about 60-70% game time even without being subbed. Harley Reid only spent ten more minutes on the ground than Windsor in the West Coast game today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back