Player Watch #32: Tom Sparrow – in until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaz said in his post GF player presentation that the club reckon he has no ceiling. Fair pump up. Has some great tools. Great kick on him.

Adelaide already had an unsuccessful crack at him last contract didn’t they?

Salary cap jigsaw is going to be key, plenty of young players deserve pay bumps.

Gaz said in his post GF player presentation that the club reckon he has no ceiling. Fair pump up. Has some great tools. Great kick on him.

Salary cap jigsaw is going to be key, plenty of young players deserve pay bumps.
As early as pre-2020 the club has rated Sparrow, Jordon and Petty extremely highly internally. Have heard that from quite a few sources. Supporters would have disagreed from the outside but the club would be 100% unsurprised at their performances in 2020.

Gaz said the club saw Tim Watson in him lol fair pump up

As early as pre-2020 the club has rated Sparrow, Jordon and Petty extremely highly internally. Have heard that from quite a few sources. Supporters would have disagreed from the outside but the club would be 100% unsurprised at their performances in 2020.
I’d assume that’s Jason Taylor and the list management team sticking to what they’ve seen. Who could doubt any of them. The list build has been amazing with the amount of post 1st round gems, pick trading, trade ins. Almost faultless.

Have loved his development. Has hardly missed a game this season either. So he's earned his spot. What he accomplished in the finals is right up there with Dogga tbh for a young fella. Tough when it mattered and that boot on him is a major weapon around the HF line. Can easily see him moved to the middle when needed. How fantastic we have so many who can rotate through the middle now. ANB, Sparrow, JJ, Gus, Koz, Harmes all could rotate through there at times as well as Vines, Clarry and Trac. Hell, Dogga could play as a rover if we wanted. The great thing is, most if not all these blokes could be classed as inside mids, yet most have worked on a different part of their game to find a spot in the 22. Fantastic coaching and development by the MFC and Sparrow looks a future leader of this club.

I’d assume that’s Jason Taylor and the list management team sticking to what they’ve seen. Who could doubt any of them. The list build has been amazing with the amount of post 1st round gems, pick trading, trade ins. Almost faultless.
That and what they showed in training. One thing that’s remarkable about this year is that Bowey, Petty and Jordon didn’t play a single minute of actual match football last year, and Sparrow only played 5 AFL games worth. Spargo just 8. No VFL, no junior footy. Just those weird scratch matches. Would be true of most sides with young players, but those sides didn’t win the flag. We did a great job of ensuring their continued development.

It's kinda a stupid thing to say but he looks like a bloke whod be captain one day.
Seems a super quiet type though, going on his podcast performance. Then again, I understand Jones was also, so who knows?

Seems a super quiet type though, going on his podcast performance. Then again, I understand Jones was also, so who knows?
Nothing about his personality and also why I said it was stupid because who knows. But he's has something about him when you watch that says 'ill drag you along'

I'm too much of a dumb campaigner to explain it but there's a follow me type of way he plays.

Nothing about his personality and also why I said it was stupid because who knows. But he's has something about him when you watch that says 'ill drag you along'

I'm too much of a dumb campaigner to explain it but there's a follow me type of way he plays.

I originally dismissed him as a bit of a Viney Lite and this might be the part that reminded me of him. Strong, head down, hard at it, no nonsense.

Obviously he's since deployed some weapons that Viney can only dream of so no idea what the best comparison is now 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I can see that part. Was probably that aspect which had Viney originally selected as co-captain. Plus I think there is some advantage in leadership in the less extrovert types, it feels like they would have to work less on embracing a team first attitude. Now you’ve got me sounding stupid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I can see that part. Was probably that aspect which had Viney originally selected as co-captain. Plus I think there is some advantage in leadership in the less extrovert types, it feels like they would have to work less on embracing a team first attitude. Now you’ve got me sounding stupid
I Guess he embraces pressure and big moments, you can't reach it. The critical marks/clearances and goals he kicked speak of someone with the character of a leader.

Maybe I'm trying to say I don't know if he can bring people along with him, but you could look him In the eye and know what you're gonna get

One of those players who you don't really know what they'll become.

Strong mark, explosive, long kick. Ticks a lot of boxes. Could be a Stringer-esque fwd/mid, but probably doesn't have the same back of tricks.

One of those players who you don't really know what they'll become.

Strong mark, explosive, long kick. Ticks a lot of boxes. Could be a Stringer-esque fwd/mid, but probably doesn't have the same back of tricks.

Doesn't have the legspeed.

Like a Hamish Hartlett type

The interview with May after the game they were asking why Trac wasn’t tagged and then went on asked if anybody tags Trac at training May said Sparrow dose a great job on him and continued to talk him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back