Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Did well for himself all things considered. Was neat and didn’t look too flustered ball in hand which has been something he’s struggled with a bit.

There’s something to work with here, might have a little shot at making the wing his own for 6 weeks, Perez to shift back to HB after Halls injury helps his cause too.

Did well for himself all things considered. Was neat and didn’t look too flustered ball in hand which has been something he’s struggled with a bit.

There’s something to work with here, might have a little shot at making the wing his own for 6 weeks, Perez to shift back to HB after Halls injury helps his cause too.
How bad was Hall’s quad injury? Did they say anything on the tv ?
(I was at the game ) I’m a torture trooper …. I know 🤣

How bad was Hall’s quad injury? Did they say anything on the tv ?
(I was at the game ) I’m a torture trooper …. I know 🤣
No idea honestly. At 31 though, with recurring soft tissue injuries you’d imagine they’d be cautious with him. He looked pretty stressed and upset on the bench !

Hopefully not too long, he is important for us.

Ran the furthest of anyone on the ground which is impressive for a second year player and a testament to the work he's put in. Possibly one guy who has benefited from playing VFL but will hopefully play the remainder in the 1s and ahead of some older spuds.
Tom Powell needs these sorts of numbers.

I know we're all desperately searching for positives, but if Lazarro is re-contracted then we really are going nowhere.

He tries really hard and by all reports has a ripping attitude, but he's just not up to it. He's not alone in this squad either.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Something to work with.

I was scathing on his pure outside style, but showed glimpses last night.

Persist.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Only watched the first half. When he got the ball he seemed to want to run with it like he did in his early days at North - you could see him scanning upfield for options - at least twice the camera zoomed in on him - his eyes wide open and searching for movement. Then the stunned expression showed that nobody was giving him anything. That forced him to just kick in hope.

Powell's stride and gait haven't looked overly free ever since he had OP. He had to rehab it for ages and missed a lot of work. He's just not covering the ground but let's hope for an uninterrupted preseason.
That's got more to do with his time on ground than any coaching vendetta. LDU struggled when he came back from OP. Probably wasn't okay till early last season.

Ran the furthest of anyone on the ground which is impressive for a second year player and a testament to the work he's put in. Possibly one guy who has benefited from playing VFL but will hopefully play the remainder in the 1s and ahead of some older spuds.
Have said before but he simply won't die wondering about his career.

What do we reckon?

Comes on, gets a really intelligent snap on goal from a tap down (great use of body) and gets to the right spot again but both missed.

Taylor just didn't see him wide open with a minute to go! Could've had 1.2 next to his name and iced it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do we reckon?

Comes on, gets a really intelligent snap on goal from a tap down (great use of body) and gets to the right spot again but both missed.

Taylor just didn't see him wide open with a minute to go! Could've had 1.2 next to his name.
Good impact as the sub. But don't think he comes in to be honest. Probably back to the 2s for a full run.

What do we reckon?

Taylor just didn't see him wide open with a minute to go! Could've had 1.2 next to his name and iced it!
I thought he was more involved last night than in previous games even though not everything he did came off. I don't hide from the fact I really like Charlie and I hope he makes it. There have been plenty worse that have got a game for our club.

I thought he was more involved last night than in previous games even though not everything he did came off. I don't hide from the fact I really like Charlie and I hope he makes it. There have been plenty worse that have got a game for our club.
Fresh legs were crucial when he was an option from the contest. He can run, provide cover, do all the basic stuff to make sure we don't lose possession.

It does rely on someone going down though. Double edged sword.

Perfect sub, I liked he took the shot and missed instead of trying to find another option and missing. Also like he was one of the last back after the win doing the whole lap of honour.

He's intelligent, you can see that at a glance. Just needs the skills to execute, and a bit of size wouldn't hurt either. Reminds me a bit of Paddy Dow, and I know that's no compliment, but I mean it purely in the sense that he's clearly a smart player whose skills aren't quite on the same page as his brain. If he keeps working at it, he could well become a mainstay in this team

What do we reckon?

It's strange to me how a lot of people around here seem to have written Charlie off after he looked like one of our most promising young talents last year. Clearly he's having a case of second year blues, difficulty adjusting to higher standards of strength and conditioning and maintaining his elite leg speed while bulking up. But I think that will come with time. Along with his run he's a smart reader of the play, there's nothing wrong with his skills, and by all accounts his work ethic is elite.

With experience and the space provided on a wing, I think he could make that position his in future. He knows where to run and he is lightning. He also has the smarts. He is supposed to be lethal by hand and average by foot. If he can develop this weakness, he may have a place in the side in 2-3 years.

Agree. There is something about Charlie that makes me want him to succeed.

Love that he soaked up the win & felt a part of it.

Charlie brings commitment, enthusiasm & speed, hope he finds his place in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back