Delisted #35: Yestin Eades - Released from contract - 15/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude, fellas (and lasses), had followed Eades loosely after reading an article on him in The Age a while back. He seemed pretty committed to doing everything he could to improve his situation and give himself a chance of making it.
Fingers crossed for the kid that it can be sorted out, whatever has happened.

Club statement says he has to undergo counselling. Seems that even if he is contesting charges he's been up to no good. Essendon gave him plenty of chances and he's thrown it away.

Not judging. Club could easily have sacked him and they haven't. There's got to be more to this than what we're currently aware of. Club and league both have been following him for longer than just since he was drafted. Clearly invested in him. Hope everything works out.

Club statement says he has to undergo counselling. Seems that even if he is contesting charges he's been up to no good. Essendon gave him plenty of chances and he's thrown it away.
"Counselling" is one of those words that sounds worse than it is. Really it probably just means that the club has sat down with him for a chat to discuss the issue and maybe a course of action in relation to his responsibilities as an Essendon listed player. Pretty standard really.

They discuss it all the time in the media when these things happen, it's well known a good percentage of them have their problems. It may be a cultural thing, it may be sheer coincidence. But it is fact.

I think the problem is you chose the wrong time and place to make your comments. You'd still get flamed on the SRP board but you'd be allowed to at least have the conversation. People don't want to read/hear that stuff on this board, whether they agree with it or not, because it's an uncomfortable and risky topic to engage in. Take it elsewhere next time. That's my advice to you.

It's more that derailing a player thread with pages of discussion about whether player misbehaviour is unique or more prevalent to indigenous Australians isn't really what we want.

You wouldn't think the outlook for his future at the club is too good. Not talented enough to survive off-field issues as well (lets be honest there's another rule if you're a super talent ala Franklin/Martin but otherwise you need to toe the line). Even his VFL form last year wasn't anything to write home about.

You can certainly see why clubs put such a high emphasis on character because modern football is all about structures and working together and not so much about individual talent. Plus most players have lots to learn and if you don't have the right attitude you won't progress as much as you could.

If it turns out these charges were unfounded then happy to retract these comments but really i'd be surprised. Nearly all the times with these situations it turns out to be something reasonably serious.

It's more that derailing a player thread with pages of discussion about whether player misbehaviour is unique or more prevalent to indigenous Australians isn't really what we want.

Pretty much the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're of the view of guilty until proven innocent, and even then probably still guilty?

I never said that and you didn't answer the question. What exactly is positive about the current situation? He's a first year player who was delisted but thrown a lifeline via a spot on the rookie list that has now been stood down. Not only will he miss any chance to play until it is resolved, his development will also be severely hampered and a successful career looks even more unlikely. Regardless of the end result this is not a positive situation, but please do continue to put words in my mouth.

We could've had Xavier Richards with this rookie pick. Decent depth and good person from a good family. Horrific decision to rookie him. We should have paid him out and cut him. The signs were there last year.

We could've had Xavier Richards with this rookie pick. Decent depth and good person from a good family. Horrific decision to rookie him. We should have paid him out and cut him. The signs were there last year.

And Eades isn't a good person and/or doesn't have a good family?

And Eades isn't a good person and/or doesn't have a good family?

If he is found guilty of the charges against him he is definitely a campaigner of a bloke.

Time will tell, but I fully understand the clubs decision to stand him down until further notice.

Agree to disagree.
He's right. We have the non-Essendon thread and there's also always the possibility of people creating a separate thread if people really want to flesh the whole issue out. We've had discussions around things like the Rendell dismissal in the non-Essendon thread before.

If people can handle the discussion maturely then it could fly.

Player threads do exist for discussion on a player, however, not for them to devolve into the whole issue of race. That we had half a page sprout so quickly (and yes, I myself contributed to that, I admit that) and we were verging close to no longer really talking about Eades at all is illustrative of how quickly these derails can spiral though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back