Delisted #35: Yestin Eades - Released from contract - 15/2

Remove this Banner Ad

It's more about Eades' history as an individual.

Without speculating and delving into anything that is not on the public record, he sought to move to Victoria to get away from his old life and to give himself a better chance of being drafted.

There were always some queries about maturity/baggage and we knew as much when we drafted him. Reckon that it's a waste of a pick at best to abort the project only one year in.

Don't mind. Clubs seem to have a gentlemens agreement that we allow a kid free passage to there home club in the rookie draft. Would essentially give us 4 years (1 Senior List, 3 Rookie List years) to see what he has

Players like Eades are better to go back and play state league footy for two years to ensure he develops the tools to cope with the workload involved in AFL footy - Some 18 year olds aren't ready for the step up in intensity.

I must say AFL is getting pretty cutthroat on new players. It used to be that if you got drafted you would at least get 2 years to show your stuff. Now clubs will either delist (and possibly re-rookie) after just that first year if the players aren't elite talents or don't appear to be working out.

On the bright side 41 is a decent pick which we should be using. Although i do question why we are keeping Dempsey on the list if we are talking about list spots.

In any case Eades may yet be retained and hopefully it all works out for him in the long run. I think the development of guys like Fantasia, Tippa and then guys coming through like Redman and Long makes it tough for Eades in any case. That's even assuming McKenna stays down back. He's certainly a fair ways back right now as all those players are ahead of him.

Still training with us it seems
20161107_JobeWatson_H.jpg

I must say AFL is getting pretty cutthroat on new players. It used to be that if you got drafted you would at least get 2 years to show your stuff. Now clubs will either delist (and possibly re-rookie) after just that first year if the players aren't elite talents or don't appear to be working out.

I think it's good. We need to keep turning over the list and keep finding players that can play other wise we will be left behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's good. We need to keep turning over the list and keep finding players that can play other wise we will be left behind.

Or we turn over players too soon without them getting a chance to reach their potential. Under the current system we have to turn them over but there really should be more spots on the list so there is not so much pressure to keep moving players on after 1 season.
In saying all of this Eades was more of an attitude issue that put him in this position.

Didn't the club come out and say they would rookie him? If that's the case of course he is training, he is 1st - 4th year player just not officially on the rookie list yet.

They didn't guarantee him that they will rookie him, but he has been given every opportunity to make a case for being rookie listed.

How does Shaun McKernan being put on the Rookie list change Eades situation?
I hope not at all, i'd prefer giving Eades a 2nd crack than Shaun a 5th crack.

never know, he might be adept at deep tissue massage in spare time
Dooh yes, why hello to you bic boi, would you like the cupping massage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back