Delisted #36: Garrett McDonagh - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

That article highlights how much this guy wants it, might have some limitations like everyone but went to great lengths to get the best out of himself. Can’t teach that drive and determination. Put him in a full time AFL Programm he’ll leave no stone unturned like Hindy. Hope he surprises a few on here

One thing we have really missed since Fletch is an elite penetrating player for the kick ins. Would allow Hind, Stringer, redman & co to attack from almost centre square from kick ins. Makes us even more attacking and you can take pressure off defence.

No doubt start there but he isnt in a position where he cant be dropped

His 2020 wasnt great

His rebound is important as i think 5 of the defenders currently dont have much zip and bounce of the 7
Redman played 22 AFL games this year. Mcdonagh played 0. So, based off the clubs promotional highlights video you think Redman isn't a safe bet in the 22.... Time to settle down a bit I think.

No doubt start there but he isnt in a position where he cant be dropped

His 2020 wasnt great

His rebound is important as i think 5 of the defenders currently dont have much zip and bounce of the 7
I suspect his 2021 is more relevant personally.

Redman played 22 AFL games this year. Mcdonagh played 0. So, based off the clubs promotional highlights video you think Redman isn't a safe bet in the 22.... Time to settle down a bit I think.
Not what i said

What im saying is he isnt excluded from being dropped ie where is Parish, Merrett ect arent. He was dropped in 2020

Ill take even money Mcdonough plays a game

Not what i said

What im saying is he isnt excluded from being dropped ie where is Parish, Merrett ect arent. He was dropped in 2020

Ill take even money Mcdonough plays a game

You said Redman’s spot isn’t safe because of the McDonagh recruitment.
A comment you made after watching a VFL highlight package. Jumping the shark.

Last edited:
Redman was exceptional this year. Easily best 22.

The selections of McDonagh and Lord reflect the fact that of the four general defenders we need for AFL we only have Cutler as depth. (Guelfi and McGrath could play there if needed.)

Redman won't miss any games because we don't need him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 years older than Dylan Clarke
a year younger than Marty Gleeson
Good luck to him but I doubt he'll ever play AFL for us
Clarke and Gleeson weren’t released because they got too old but because they lacked things needed to excel

Rutten obviously believes McDonagh can play a lot of games now and that he doesn’t need to improve dramatically. Let’s see hey.

You said Redman’s spot isn’t safe because of the McDonagh recruitment.
A comment you made after watching a VFL highlight package. Jumping the shark.
Well the replacment was Cutler and id almost rather pick an out of form Redman than Cutler even though they do have similar attributes

Redman isnt in the group where his spot isnt safe and excluded from being dropped due to poor individual/team form. McDonagh has been picked id imagine to put pressure on those spots whilst also being good ready made depth.

Redmans our last defender picked as we need atleast 1 of Stewart/Reid playing as a tall

Congrats and great pick up.

You will want the ball in his hands as much as possible and he is tough also, not just silky.

With the new rules, a player like McD can be devastating with ball in hand and no way you guys picked him up at his age to play VFL.

You will want the ball in his hands as much as possible and he is tough also, not just silky.

With the new rules, a player like McD can be devastating with ball in hand and no way you guys picked him up at his age to play VFL.

Pretty sure we've decided that the best way to beat Richmond's VFL side is simply draft everyone that's any good from it.

Hard to see him initally starting ahead of any of these 7 (Stewart/Reid, Laverde, Ridley, J.Kelly, Heppell, Hind, Redman)

But naturally we will have losses, poor form and injury and hes next cab off the rank.

If any of the above relate to Redman, Kelly or Hind then he seems like he can come in and be ready to go

Not sure what his endurance is like but maybe could play on a wing in place of Cox at times this year

Press conference, tour of the facilities today with the other recruits (joins training from next Wednesday). Got himself an article on the AFL website too, here's a snip:

"I was expecting nothing," McDonagh told reporters on Monday.

"I wrote to a few clubs after last season, just to get my name out there. I had no manager so I was trying to do it myself, I just wrote to a few clubs and had a response from a few of them.

"A couple of weeks ago I had a call from Adrian (Dodoro, Essendon's list manager) and it was an amazing call, one I'll never forget."

Less than three years ago, the 25-year-old had given up on his AFL dream, opting to cross codes and give another sport a try.

"There was faith lost, I gave up footy at the start of 2018, I went and did (American football) punting with Nathan Chapman at ProKick," he said.

"(Afterwards) I sat down and had a really good think, wanted to put my best foot forward and spend some money on my body, I did that and here I am."

McDonagh believes an open spot on Essendon's half-back line is where recruiters believe he could fill a void, a position he played for Richmond's VFL side prior to being drafted.

"Twenty-five years old, there's not many of them getting drafted at the moment," he said.

"It's been a whirlwind of a ride, so grateful for this journey of mine, can't thank Richmond enough for what they've done for me."

Well the replacment was Cutler and id almost rather pick an out of form Redman than Cutler even though they do have similar attributes

Redman isnt in the group where his spot isnt safe and excluded from being dropped due to poor individual/team form. McDonagh has been picked id imagine to put pressure on those spots whilst also being good ready made depth.

Redmans our last defender picked as we need atleast 1 of Stewart/Reid playing as a tall
I can't tell if you're being serious. Cutler wasn't Redman's replacement. Of Cutler's 11 games, all were played alongside Redman.
Redman only missed 1 game this year, his spot is safe.

I can't tell if you're being serious. Cutler wasn't Redman's replacement. Of Cutler's 11 games, all were played alongside Redman.
Redman only missed 1 game this year, his spot is safe.
Im talking about the year going ahead, thus the year we recruited Mcdonagh for and beyond

I think your missing my point. Hes not undroppable due to poor form from team or individual, whereas Parish, Zerrett, Ridley, Stringer ect are exempt

Mcdonagh is depth and backup, next man in for the small/med defenders (non talls). He also provides greater competition for spots. Without recruiting him we literally had Cutler and that was it

Hes replaced Gleeson

Last edited:
Im talking about the year going ahead, thus the year we recruited Mcdonough for and beyond

I think your missing my point. Hes not undroppable due to poor form team or individual whereas Parish, Zerrett, Ridley, Stringer ect are exempt
Yes, Redman could be dropped if he has a run of poor form, cool. Although it has nothing to do with McDonagh. I think I will leave it there, at me not getting your point.

Just thinking.
If Garrett McDonagh played for the Northern Knights in 2014, he'd've played alongside Kyle Langford.

Howard Moon hit the nail on the head with his summation of McDonagh. He is very different to the guys we have in that defensive group already.

Mainly runners who make good decisions, McD (love it Morro) is very different to what we have had for a while. Could absolutely play senior footy next year will be about finding roles for other guys in the squad if that he the case.

The more I see, hear, read, the more I really like this selection and on I can't wait to see come to fruition. If what you read is only 70% true (kicking, endurance runner, tough) then he could absolutely play in that group. Even if he could move onto a wing, McD could be a real point of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back