Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a read through the 2013 trade/draft period and I can't find anything about any poster wanting to give up a first for Dal Santo... can you link me? It's been a bugbear of yours for a while and I'm not sure where you got it from?

Wasn't it Barrett who suggested it?

Edward-in-Fight-Club-edward-norton-562364_1600_900.jpg

Dude.. you really don't remember?

It was.. it was.. it was... you.

I don't MrJoel, but it still annoys me because the perception is we don't as we delist very quickly at the end of the season.
Last year we didn't sign Scott Thompson, Jarrad Waite, Ben Jacobs and Declan Mountford until October 12. Do you think we were just trying to make them sweat?

This year we announced our delistings at the same time as every other club, later than some, that weren't in finals or reserves finals.

What you're saying is frankly, not true.

We’re not crazy, pretty sure we’d ask if there’s a chance of getting anything back.

I'm not saying we don't, but we rarely get anything usable for our players that are recycled, they may not be worth anything and in likelihood aren't but it would be nice just occasionally if we move up a couple of picks for a kid someone wants, the last time I can remember it happening was for Kent Kingsley to Geelong. What are we paying for Hall? GC appears to have little interest in keeping him.

I'm not saying we don't, but we rarely get anything usable for our players that are recycled, they may not be worth anything and in likelihood aren't but it would be nice just occasionally if we move up a couple of picks for a kid someone wants, the last time I can remember it happening was for Kent Kingsley to Geelong. What are we paying for Hall? GC appears to have little interest in keeping him.

Which of our players that we've delisted in recent years have then been picked up by another club? I can't think of any off the top of my head, which probably answers your question as to why we don't get anything usable for them. We don't even know if Williams will get picked up by GC at this stage.

Which of our players that we've delisted in recent years have then been picked up by another club? I can't think of any off the top of my head, which probably answers your question as to why we don't get anything usable for them. We don't even know if Williams will get picked up by GC at this stage.
Lindsay and Drew probably.

You may be right TD, and it may be that we get value coming back the other way such as last year with Hartung, 2016 with Wiliams, 2015 with Ray, 2014 with Nahas. but then we swapped usable picks for Hrovat which most would agree was overs, and we get nothing for Black, Thomas, Drew, Mullett, Gibson, Harvey if he had of decided differently.

All I am saying is we pay a fair price for most players coming into our club (barring Ahern maybe a Carey/Longmire type trade when he wins his multiple brownlows ;)) I would like the club to get fair price if they end up elsewhere, maybe we are getting that, but by removing all value (delisting) at an early stage we will never know.

Gibson, Petrie, LT (doesn’t really count), Mullet

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’re not delisting quicker than we should. It’s an AFLPA requirement that we complete all exit interviews and have players out of the building within 48 hours of last game, hence why we now have whacky Wednesday rather than mad Monday. The players now get the honest exit interview straight away, so the clubs hand is forced as to timing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may be right TD, and it may be that we get value coming back the other way such as last year with Hartung, 2016 with Wiliams, 2015 with Ray, 2014 with Nahas. but then we swapped usable picks for Hrovat which most would agree was overs, and we get nothing for Black, Thomas, Drew, Mullett, Gibson, Harvey if he had of decided differently.

All I am saying is we pay a fair price for most players coming into our club (barring Ahern maybe a Carey/Longmire type trade when he wins his multiple brownlows ;)) I would like the club to get fair price if they end up elsewhere, maybe we are getting that, but by removing all value (delisting) at an early stage we will never know.

There is no way in the world that we would have been in a position to, nor would have wanted to, have asked for a pick for any of those bolded in your post. Incredulity would have abounded throughout the AFL, if we had offered up Boomer for a pick in the draft.

There is no way in the world that we would have been in a position to, nor would have wanted to, have asked for a pick for any of those bolded in your post. Incredulity would have abounded throughout the AFL, if we had offered up Boomer for a pick in the draft.

Horace, I think you may have only taken notice of one sentence and not really read it properly. at no point did I say we should have offered Boomer up, it was always his decision on what he did next. Hawthorn must be special club getting a third round pick upgrade for Hodge, can we not aim to be just as special?

upload_2018-9-18_17-45-20.png

Horace, I think you may have only taken notice of one sentence and not really read it properly. at no point did I say we should have offered Boomer up, it was always his decision on what he did next. Hawthorn must be special club getting a third round pick upgrade for Hodge, can we not aim to be just as special?

View attachment 560249

There was a fundamental difference between Hodge and Boomer and Drew at the end of 2016. Hodge retired then changed his mind when Brisbane came looking. We told Boomer and Drew we would not be offering them new contracts and they were delisted. Both then explored their options and Drew managed another year, while no-one offered anything to Boomer as far as I am aware. Bear in mind all clubs have to delist some players from their list and if we had retained Boomer and Drew, maybe we would have been forced to delist other players who we didn't want to lose.

I have no idea why Brisbane offered a third round pick for Hodge, but maybe it had to be something like that to make sure they got him. Effectively though all that Hawthorn did was move one spot up the order. Hardly a major win from their point of view. Unless pick 75 has turned out to be an absolute star.

There was a fundamental difference between Hodge and Boomer and Drew at the end of 2016. Hodge retired then changed his mind when Brisbane came looking. We told Boomer and Drew we would not be offering them new contracts and they were delisted. Both then explored their options and Drew managed another year, while no-one offered anything to Boomer as far as I am aware. Bear in mind all clubs have to delist some players from their list and if we had retained Boomer and Drew, maybe we would have been forced to delist other players who we didn't want to lose.

who knows if Hawthorn behind closed doors told Hodge his time was up?

I have no idea why Brisbane offered a third round pick for Hodge, but maybe it had to be something like that to make sure they got him. Effectively though all that Hawthorn did was move one spot up the order. Hardly a major win from their point of view. Unless pick 75 has turned out to be an absolute star.

that is the point Horace, I am not saying it has to be a major win just a few spots up in the draft order and I would be happy knowing we did something.

who knows if Hawthorn behind closed doors told Hodge his time was up?

that is the point Horace, I am not saying it has to be a major win just a few spots up in the draft order and I would be happy knowing we did something.
If three time premiership captain Luke Hodge was traded for pick 75, what would be a fair trade for two gamer Josh Williams?

Just another blown second rounder...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Last ten second rounders:
Will Walker - I rate him highly
Josh Williams - gone
Dec Watson - massive question marks
Ryan Clarke - could still be good. Played a lot of footy for us though.
Mitchell Hibberd - gone
Dan Nielson - gone
Ed Vickers-Willis - I rate him highly
Trent Dumont - Potentially on the verge of being a great player
Ben Jacobs - very good player
Mason Wood - Mr Potential

Mixed bag with some bad hits and no A-grade talent. Seems we're not great in that part of the draft.

Josh Williams - gone
Mitchell Hibberd - gone
Dan Nielson - gone

Mixed bag with some bad hits and no A-grade talent. Seems we're not great in that part of the draft.

Care to name the "A grade talent" from the 2nd rounds of those drafts?

Josh Williams - gone
Mitchell Hibberd - gone
Dan Nielson - gone

Reckon that would actually compare well enough to other clubs. BJ is one of our most important players. EVW has AA potential IMO.

There are lots of misses in the 2nd round, so add in Wood, Dumont, Clarke and Walker and that’s 6/10 at least handy players. Can’t really complain (although I’m sure naturally north vehemently disagrees).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back