Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - syndesmosis injury vs Nthrn Bullants in VFL - will miss six weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be great if he goes around pick pick 15 -22, we get him for pick 50-something then trade back into the second round and get some more good players. That would be brilliant.

Make it happen Rawling.

Big game from Cooper against Oakleigh. 25 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 2 r50s, 3 i50s, kicked 1.1
Is there a replay somewhere?

I would be very interested to see the quality of his disposal, his role, his defensive intent and his leg speed.

Is there a replay somewhere?

I would be very interested to see the quality of his disposal, his role, his defensive intent and his leg speed.
Should be up on the NAB League app tomorrow

Happy to pick him up in the 10-30 range.
We wont have our later picks anyway due to matching the bids.
Would rather have him come out and dominate .
Cooper as a mid/fwd and grab the best key defender with our first

Just finished watching his game from the weekend.

Positives
  • Has really good patience when scanning the field after a mark and chooses the right option.
  • Beautiful kick in the short-medium range like his dad.
  • Solid length on his kick. Had a set shot where it left his foot from about 52m out and it just managed to make the distance for a behind.
  • Times his runs looking for the handball receive really well.
  • Didn't look out of place as a genuine on-baller and laid some good tackles.

Negatives
  • In the habit of throwing up hospital handballs when under pressure.
  • Loves a kick off the ground instead of leaning over and picking it up under pressure.
  • Not sure if this is much of a negative but I think his best position at the next level is definitely as a winger or half forward, even though he didn't look out of place as a genuine on-baller, all his traits suggest he'd be best utilised as a winger or half forward. Should be working his ass off to improve his endurance running and repeat sprints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished watching his game from the weekend.

Positives
  • Has really good patience when scanning the field after a mark and chooses the right option.
  • Beautiful kick in the short-medium range like his dad.
  • Solid length on his kick. Had a set shot where it left his foot from about 52m out and it just managed to make the distance for a behind.
  • Times his runs looking for the handball receive really well.
  • Didn't look out of place as a genuine on-baller and laid some good tackles.

Negatives
  • In the habit of throwing up hospital handballs when under pressure.
  • Loves a kick off the ground instead of leaning over and picking it up under pressure.
  • Not sure if this is much of a negative but I think his best position at the next level is definitely as a winger or half forward, even though he didn't look out of place as a genuine on-baller, all his traits suggest he'd be best utilised as a winger or half forward. Should be working his ass off to improve his endurance running and repeat sprints.

What’s the speed like Souup? Boomer-esque?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On a scale of 1-10, probably a ~7-8.

Concrete testing has his 20m sprint at 3.1, but he looks quicker than that on the field.

I watched a hell of a lot of him at training over the summer.

He’s not as quick as his dad, not even close imo. Not as agile either, but he’s got a few inches on his Dad.

His athletic profile is a little bit like Kieran Harpers, but not quite as explosive across the board.

He’s more Shane than Brent, particularly in the way they play also.

Happy to pick him up in the 10-30 range.
We wont have our later picks anyway due to matching the bids.
Would rather have him come out and dominate .
Cooper as a mid/fwd and grab the best key defender with our first
The issue being we will have pick 1 and the best defender would have been available with the pick we wasted on CCJ.

I’d be happy to split pick 1 this year into the best half back flanker (general defender), the best key defender and Cooper.

The guru’s will work it out, but something like 1 + 2023 R2 > 5 + 16 + 23 would be ideal.

The issue being we will have pick 1 and the best defender would have been available with the pick we wasted on CCJ.

I’d be happy to split pick 1 this year into the best half back flanker (general defender), the best key defender and Cooper.

The guru’s will work it out, but something like 1 + 2023 R2 > 5 + 16 + 23 would be ideal.

That's an awful trade bro!

That's an awful trade bro!

Yeah it might be, but every time I slant it in our favour I’m called delusional.

Point being, our list is at the point where we need to target specific positions. We can’t just keep going best available midfielder.

Pick 1 this year is basically pick 1 in 2017 from what I’ve read and we frankly do not need another Phillips clone (Wardlaw).

I’m not basing it on points, I’m basing it on our needs.

If we can turn Wardlaw into Tsatsas and Busslinger - I’d take it.
If we can turn Wardlaw into Tsatsas, Busslinger, a CJ clone & Boomer Jr, I’d ******* do it - hence the last meddling outcome I came up with.

Yeah it might be, but every time I slant it in our favour I’m called delusional.

Point being, our list is at the point where we need to target specific positions. We can’t just keep going best available midfielder.

Pick 1 this year is basically pick 1 in 2017 from what I’ve read and we frankly do not need another Phillips clone (Wardlaw).

I’m not basing it on points, I’m basing it on our needs.

If we can turn Wardlaw into Tsatsas and Busslinger - I’d take it.
If we can turn Wardlaw into Tsatsas, Busslinger, a CJ clone & Boomer Jr, I’d ******* do it - hence the last meddling outcome I came up with.

Get where ya coming from but you slide an early pick at your peril.

If we were hellbent on trading out of a #1 pick I'd be more inclined to do it for a known quantity.

I can think of successful examples of clubs moving out of first rounds for proven talent but struggle to think of any successes splitting picks. Maybe I'm forgetting one.

I'm talking #1 pick for Ben King with possible sweeteners either way type of territory if we didn't rate the top end of the draft for some reason.

Get where ya coming from but you slide an early pick at your peril.

If we were hellbent on trading out of a #1 pick I'd be more inclined to do it for a known quantity.

I can think of successful examples of clubs moving out of first rounds for proven talent but struggle to think of any successes splitting picks. Maybe I'm forgetting one.

I'm talking #1 pick for Ben King with possible sweeteners either way type of territory if we didn't rate the top end of the draft for some reason.
Premiers last year? I actually don’t know if they split, but they sure as hell nailed their holes. There is no right answer here, there is no guaranteed pathway to success.

I think it’s about identifying the holes on your list and our long term holes are entirely backward of centre IMO.

We don’t defend well enough, we don’t exit D50 well enough and those who can are 30+.

Seems a reasonable starting point for some clearly identifiable gains and improvement.

You want to give up pick 1 for Ben King? It would be pick 1 + 2023 R1 + good player (phillips for instance) for a bloke who doesn’t want to play for us?

Premiers last year? I actually don’t know if they split, but they sure as hell nailed their holes. There is no right answer here, there is no guaranteed pathway to success.

I think it’s about identifying the holes on your list and our long term holes are entirely backward of centre IMO.

We don’t defend well enough, we don’t exit D50 well enough and those who can are 30+.

Seems a reasonable starting point for some clearly identifiable gains and improvement.

You want to give up pick 1 for Ben King? It would be pick 1 + 2023 R1 + good player (phillips for instance) for a bloke who doesn’t want to play for us?

Melbourne were who I had in mind re trading out for needs when it suited them.

I'm not talking exact trade or player re Ben King just talking the calibre of player you'd be looking at in that kind of transaction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back