Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to ruin the love in.... And I love what he brings too, but..

Of his 6 kicks I remember one out in the full when the player was clean out, one on the corridor looped wrong footing our player which let the hawk mark it and run fwd, and one slung to 3 lone hawks in the corridor..

Just saying, if he keeps kicking it WILL cost us in a big game. Just hope you are all ready not to hang him for it.

Also, we were out on the wing in the 3rd, Guelfi had it and Clarke was free next kick in the chain. Guelfi looked but didn't pull the trigger. Reckon some are still hesitant to give to him on the outside.

He's doing great work by hand, great blocking , defensive work...just needs to keep focussed and what he can do well.

23 touches. O'meara 24 touches. Output much the same as each other. Points slightly to Clarke as he reduced Jaegars influence on the game.

That kick to advantage to Tippa at the end was as well weighted kick as you are likely to see. Pity Tippa did not finish it.

2 good games in a row and more importantly 2 Ws.

Not to take any gloss off but I think JOM was passed around a bit in the first half (when I hardly recall seeing him at all), hope to find time to have a look at the replay & see how this tag role is being used.

Very good game though & guess we'll just have to live with the kicking.

23 touches. O'meara 24 touches. Output much the same as each other. Points slightly to Clarke as he reduced Jaegars influence on the game.

That kick to advantage to Tippa at the end was as well weighted kick as you are likely to see. Pity Tippa did not finish it.

2 good games in a row and more importantly 2 Ws.
Reduced O'Meara's influence without a doubt, but the disposal stat has its limitations. If it doesn't make it to the intended target or it's a turnover it negates its importance. Clarke still has serious work to do with his kicking. If he can fix that we'll have a player. Include his role alongside Smith's tackling pressure and watch our clearance numbers go up.

Unlike his game against Carlton, I thought that last night the dark-side was much more significant.

Hardly hit a target by foot and there were numerous times he didn't move the ball on by foot when he clearly should have (given the time, space he had and the option available) and there really was no reason for him to hesitate (unless it was because he didn't trust his kicking).

The last two weeks are virtually enough to guarantee he's playing AFL for Essendon in 2020 because every other part of his game converts so well.

If Ridley had the ball in his hands instead of Clarke last night, for example, we probably have another 5 scoring shots to show for it and for a team that is using the ball so poorly that has to become a problem for Clarke.

I think a couple of things worked against him in this game. Firstly, Hawthorne are a lot better than Carlton at protecting their teammates when they cop a tag which doubtless allowed O'Meara a bit more influence than Cripps had. Secondly Hawlthorne's uncontested game meant Clarke was getting the ball in the open a bit more which forced him to kick.

Otherwise I thought it was a pretty good effort. Most of O'Meara's touches came late in the game when he switched to Shiel, and a lot of those were kicks across half back and the wing which did not do much damage.

Of his 6 kicks I remember one out in the full when the player was clean out, one on the corridor looped wrong footing our player which let the hawk mark it and run fwd, and one slung to 3 lone hawks in the corridor..
The 3 Hawkes in the corridor was him getting a boot to the ball while being slung in a tackle. Only had 2 clangers. Even at VFL level, the kicking was well overstated on BigFooty (even by those that weren't watching his games).
edit: the 'loopy kick' was soccer off the ground.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too much emphasis on his kicking, as opposed to the fact for the first time in living memory we have a genuine tagger on our hands who can win his own ball.

His impact in our last 2 wins has been massive!! No cripps, No JOM = cutting the snake off at the head!

Elliot Yeo your next!

Last edited:
Needs to fix his ball drop
View attachment 692642
Wow, brings the ball out in front then releases it at it's highest point of the whole motion.

Someone show the kid how to guide the ball onto his boot.

I'd never really watched his drop closely until that gif. Is that pretty much a normal ball drop for him?

Woosha said in his presser that while he's good at his role they'll need to weigh up the good and bad of having a tagging type in the team. We lost the stats around the ball in the first half he reckons and whether they stick to that balance is unknown.

Just play the kid.

I get the feeling he will be used like Greenwood at Coll ... Plays when he has a job to do, vfl when not, with no disrespect given or taken
You'd hope not. Keep him in!

Wow, brings the ball out in front then releases it at it's highest point of the whole motion.

Someone show the kid how to guide the ball onto his boot.

I'd never really watched his drop closely until that gif. Is that pretty much a normal ball drop for him?
Yeah, I thought he's improved slightly over the time he's been at the club but that's the drop he was drafted with and why his kicking is so maligned.

As bad as his kicking is the fact he reduces output of an excellent player more than nullifies it. I mean 15-20 extra Cripps possessions far outweighs 5-6 bad Clarke kicks...surely?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back