Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The tagger is dead people

Yep, we couldn't afford to have a role player.
It would impact our zone setups forward of and behind the ball, it would also make our clearance and stoppage setups a mess.
Under Noble every player has a specific role and taking one player out to play a stopping role on a key opposition midfielder would result in a total breakdown of our gameplan.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
there is absolutely no point playing a tagger in our side at the moment.

Someone running with Oliver to stop him getting 127 possessions against us might have helped a bit surely?

He might not succeed at it, but one thing is for sure he is not going to succeed as a back pocket.

And no, the tagger isn't dead. (not your comment Mav, the one ^^)

Other teams use close checking players regularly, Rowell for one example has regularly been doing it for GC.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The amount of crying that would happen on here if Kyron Hayden took up an entire worth of CBAs tagging the opposition's best midfielder while Powell, LDU and JHF sit on flanks would be obscene.
What difference would it be to greenwood being in there though? Personally think that trigger should have been pulled a month ago.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Greenwood or Hayden both push out more talented mids is my point.
Yes, you're right and I'm not disputing that. I just think that in the case where Greenwood isn't travelling well, which it certainly looks like, it would be preferable to have a younger big bodied player doing a similar role. Especially if that younger player has shown promise in that role previously and isn't setting the world on fire in their current one. Just smells of wasted opportunity to me, and I'm disappointed we haven't given Kyron that chance.

They should be trialing Hayden as a tagger........His first game was as that against Pendelbury and he did a great job before injuring himself..
Any chance we are remembering this greater than it actually was? It was roughly half a game, wasn't it... the memory of this is beginning to resemble Eddie Sa(i)nsbury kicking 5 on Adam Cooney....

Any chance we are remembering this greater than it actually was? It was roughly half a game, wasn't it... the memory of this is beginning to resemble Eddie Sa(i)nsbury kicking 5 on Adam Cooney....
Even to hold Pendlebury to such a low possession count and to also make his game uneffective for a half of football is a good start ..

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shades of choppygun
Think Sesame Street GIF

I wonder why that is.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our midfield isn’t really firing on all cylinders anyways and he isn’t working well in the back line.

Just try it. Doesn’t work, then who cares. I mean could we be any worse than we are now?

Noble should be trying new things anyways

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our midfield isn’t really firing on all cylinders anyways and he isn’t working well in the back line.

Just try it. Doesn’t work, then who cares. I mean could we be any worse than we are now?

Noble should be trying new things anyways
Technically it's not even new.

Back