Player Watch #39: Finnbar 'Moose' Maley

Remove this Banner Ad

Kanga lads,

Just dropping in as I know they kid from local footy for past few years.

Well worth the speculative pick. Raw talent, needs a year in the system, so dont expect anything until 2025 but he could be a great rookie get. I wish him and you lads well.

Come from great stock with his Dad and sister elite athletes. Ripping kid as well.

Will be interesting in changerooms....he is the sort of loud music type, before and after games....dunno if that equates well in AFL.

Cheers lads, best of luck.
Thanks Denny.

Denny Crane.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

**** yeah!

While I'm suitably chuffed at landing all of our other new draftees (and tradees, too - freaking rapt we snared Fisher), this is the one I'm most stoked about. Been in the pipeline for a while now but glad it's finally a done deal.

As it happens I played a bit of basketball with Finnbar a year or so ago in an open-age side, and TOD Jr is a really close mate of his. ("I love the smell of inside info in the morning.") He's a ripping kid. Totally marches to the beat of his own drum but it's a good beat. Very colourful personality. Regularly referred to as a 'unit' by those that have met him. Very much looking forward to any media he does in the future.

Excellent basketballer - tall, agile, super athletic and blessed with a ton of talent. And having a guy that can dunk on your team never gets old. The interesting thing with Finnbar was the ease with which he was able to get up to the rim. Having played before with other big guys that can dunk, there's usually a bit of a tell-tale wind-up before they spring. Like, you know that they're about to dunk the ball a second before it happens. But Finnbar had an ability to pull out dunks with little warning or wind-up, and often from fairly improbable positions. Just freakish agility and athleticism, and whoever it was that commented on his leap is spot on. Dude can jump. Plays an aggressive game, too. Fearless and doesn't take a backward step. Constantly had opposition players wanting to go him.

Up until now, what he's achieved - in both basketball and footy - has mostly been off the back of raw talent. Certainly where the former sport is concerned, he's one of those guys who can rock up to a game not having played for weeks, not even do a warm-up, and still walk out on the court and absolutely kill it. While I don't wish to cast dispersions (TM Brad) on the clubs he's been associated with up to this point, I'm excited to see what Finnbar can do in a more professional, disciplined, and demanding program. Because if he applies himself, the sky really is the limit with this kid. Props to the club for identifying the potential there and taking a punt on him.

Anyways, onya, Finnbar. Welcome to North.

P.S. Finnbar Maley = The Cyrus

**** yeah!

While I'm suitably chuffed at landing all of our other new draftees (and tradees, too - freaking rapt we snared Fisher), this is the one I'm most stoked about. Been in the pipeline for a while now but glad it's finally a done deal.

As it happens I played a bit of basketball with Finnbar a year or so ago in an open-age side, and TOD Jr is a really close mate of his. ("I love the smell of inside info in the morning.") He's a ripping kid. Totally marches to the beat of his own drum but it's a good beat. Very colourful personality. Regularly referred to as a 'unit' by those that have met him. Very much looking forward to any media he does in the future.

Excellent basketballer - tall, agile, super athletic and blessed with a ton of talent. And having a guy that can dunk on your team never gets old. The interesting thing with Finnbar was the ease with which he was able to get up to the rim. Having played before with other big guys that can dunk, there's usually a bit of a tell-tale wind-up before they spring. Like, you know that they're about to dunk the ball a second before it happens. But Finnbar had an ability to pull out dunks with little warning or wind-up, and often from fairly improbable positions. Just freakish agility and athleticism, and whoever it was that commented on his leap is spot on. Dude can jump. Plays an aggressive game, too. Fearless and doesn't take a backward step. Constantly had opposition players wanting to go him.

Up until now, what he's achieved - in both basketball and footy - has mostly been off the back of raw talent. Certainly where the former sport is concerned, he's one of those guys who can rock up to a game not having played for weeks, not even do a warm-up, and still walk out on the court and absolutely kill it. While I don't wish to cast dispersions (TM Brad) on the clubs he's been associated with up to this point, I'm excited to see what Finnbar can do in a more professional, disciplined, and demanding program. Because if he applies himself, the sky really is the limit with this kid. Props to the club for identifying the potential there and taking a punt on him.

Anyways, onya, Finnbar. Welcome to North.

P.S. Finnbar Maley = The Cyrus

Welcome back TODdles. 👍

This guy is a bit of a dude - seems a very likable young fella from the little I've seen. Hope he makes a go of it and becomes a fan fave.

What I love about those highlights is that he is more than willing to tackle and throw his weight around. Can't teach that physicality and intensity. It's not something I had noticed in the couple of games I watched him play this year.

Having a couple of tins and reading up about this one. I reckon we have something in this fella, The campaigner is a weapon. This guy, if all goes well could be my favourite player at North
Ever since I saw the highlights last night, I’ve been scratching my head trying to think who he reminded me of, once I saw Jarrad Waite in north colours, I can’t unsee it, I think he is going to be a fan favourite the way he goes about it.
Laid back dude with white line fever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mailman Jnr is as raw as they come, so I'm not expecting him to play in the AFL next season. If he does, that would be a bonus, but he'll need to learn his craft in the VFL first. The season he already had there for the most part was only average based on his stats, but there was a marked improvement in his last three games. If he is the replacement of Edwards, he is the complete opposite to him. He seems to relish the contact whereas Edwards was allergic to it. His development is going to be an interesting watch. As some have already said, we might have a cult hero in the making.

I really like this pick and I really like what it says about the direction of our list management. Taking a guy who's unbelievably talented but raw, and yet to prove he can be a professional athlete is a much better way to be spending rookie picks than repeatedly drafting and re-drafting honest triers who sit on the list for a few years, occasionally fill in when we're depleted and get pushed out by more talented players.

Ever since I saw the highlights last night, I’ve been scratching my head trying to think who he reminded me of, once I saw Jarrad Waite in north colours, I can’t unsee it, I think he is going to be a fan favourite the way he goes about it.
Laid back dude with white line fever.

I saw a bit of Charlie Dixon

What I love about those highlights is that he is more than willing to tackle and throw his weight around. Can't teach that physicality and intensity. It's not something I had noticed in the couple of games I watched him play this year.
He also outmarked and rucked against AFL listed players and beat them. He could play next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back