Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy: 200 Games. Now matching the IQ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

Wasn't his best night, but his tapwork was still at a level we haven't seen in years, and he laid 6 tackles, second for us behind Rowbottom and 4th overall.

On a night where he struggled around the ground he still found ways to impact and that's really valuable.

He also got some frankly shitty calls against him.
Ultimately, if that is the level we can expect when he has a tougher night (as he did tonight), then he will prove an absolute bargain for us. As he will have very good nights to go with it, like he did last week.

As for all the media nonsense during the week - would not surprise me one bit if we did some juggling of $ and brought some of them forward (assuming we could do that when we were effectively taking over his contract from another club) to ease the burden later on, and open up $ later on for other needs.

I'd forgotten all about Brodie Grundy's first career as Fleetwood Mac co-founder & drummer
BRODIE.png

One of the few positives today was how Grundy improved as the game went on. Really cracked in in the 2nd half today. In fact his 2nd halves in every game this year seem to be far superior to the 1st halves. Seems to run out games extremely well for a big guy.

One of the few positives today was how Grundy improved as the game went on. Really cracked in in the 2nd half today as he has done in every 2nd half this year.

The impact when he gets going is enormous too.

I think the consistency will come over the year as he gets his rhythm

One of the few positives today was how Grundy improved as the game went on. Really cracked in in the 2nd half today. In fact his 2nd halves in every game this year seem to be far superior to the 1st halves. Seems to run out games extremely well for a big guy.
Thought he didn't add much at all myself. Was certainly putting in the effort, just didn't have a whole lot of impactful plays. Kinda halved the rusks he contested, which I guess I'd hope for better against Nank, didn't take a lot of marks around the ground that I recall (looked it up, 4). Maybe it was a game where the ball didn't bounce his way, it happens.

Thought he didn't add much at all myself. Was certainly putting in the effort, just didn't have a whole lot of impactful plays. Kinda halved the rusks he contested, which I guess I'd hope for better against Nank, didn't take a lot of marks around the ground that I recall (looked it up, 4). Maybe it was a game where the ball didn't bounce his way, it happens.
Had 10 of his 21 hitouts in the last quarter along with 4 marks (out of 4 for the game) and 8 disposals. Not suggesting it was a great game overall as I think he probably just broke even with Nankervis, just noting how well he fought back and ran out the game.

What an awesome recruit he has been thus far ! Rucks and Taps to advantage, has heaps of second efforts and then starts roving like a midfielder in the second half as his opponents start fading.
His tap work has been a little below what I expected but can't fault him overall. His second efforts at ground level are 2nd to none for a ruckman.

His tap work has been a little below what I expected but can't fault him overall. His second efforts at ground level are 2nd to none for a ruckman.

Possibly second to Briggs. As good as Brodie's been (no complaints from me), Briggs is killing it and has been a force after the tap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie Grundy has been one of the dominant — and most successful — ruckmen of the modern era.

He reflects ahead of his 200th game

If I were tech savvy I would get a clip of the diving tackle he made to get a turnover and resulting in a goal for us.

He is almost an extra mid around the ground,

Credit to guys like Mumford, Ruck Jesus etc, but to have a genuine elite ruck is massive.

Great again today, wish we got him sooner

If I were tech savvy I would get a clip of the diving tackle he made to get a turnover and resulting in a goal for us.

He is almost an extra mid around the ground,

Credit to guys like Mumford, Ruck Jesus etc, but to have a genuine elite ruck is massive.

Great again today, wish we got him sooner

and he'll keep improving!
he's shown from that first game what he can do ... but he's getting fitter and he's still developing himself in this team
he's already building partnerships with heeney and gulden, and his role has also allowed mclean to take another step this season as a backup ruck to a genuine elite ruck ...
and that must be related to how mclean is also developing as a genuinely mobile big man who is becoming a real link through the middle
grundy is having a huge impact

He’s not only making a substantial difference on field but he comes across as such a nice, mature man, which must help the club’s culture as well.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I love the bits and pieces of him off the field as well - he has a lot of fun and seems to be really enjoying his time in Sydney so far. A deep thinker as well.

Long may it continue, as he is playing some good footy as well!

I agree he's intelligent and reflective but I am more impressed by his EQ than his IQ. Love that he brings both fun and professionalism to his role.
I think after two years of being a "burden" at his clubs and maybe not having the greatest life outside footy (guessing here) that being so welcomed and enjoying his role both as a player but also as a senior player and his life outside footy must be such an enormous pleasure. It must roll through every aspect of his life, and I imagine Rachel's too.

I know it won't necessarily come as a surprise, but Brodie has the second highest % of contested possessions across the league.
Just confirming the 'extra midfielder' tag. Rowy also features;
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 18-05-22 Recruit's No.1 ruck rating and the kick-happy Tiger The AFL'...png

Also a very decent HO to advantage ratio (from a significant attendance at ruck contests)
(Melbourne are going to kill poor Max).
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 18-07-16 Recruit's No.1 ruck rating and the kick-happy Tiger The AFL'...png

Handy recruit. :)

Source;

Remove this Banner Ad

Back