Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy: 200 Games. Now matching the IQ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

Good sense of humour.
He really has a "way" about him, coolly confident without arrogance.
I noticed he was on the back page of the Sunday Tele yesterday, gotta say I was a little bit shocked. Obviously a slow news day on the sports front, not used to seeing Swans in the headlines, especially since Bud's departure.
I think the media might have him tagged as our next big thing.

He really has a "way" about him, coolly confident without arrogance.
I noticed he was on the back page of the Sunday Tele yesterday, gotta say I was a little bit shocked. Obviously a slow news day on the sports front, not used to seeing Swans in the headlines, especially since Bud's departure.
I think the media might have him tagged as our next big thing.
I don't do Murdoch but the McKirdy stuff I see on here seems quite good.

Listening to his media conferences, I'd have to go back to Ted Richards to think of one of our players who seemed so comfortable and relaxed in front of the media.

Given he was at Collingwood, I am surprised he didn't have a bigger media profile.

Last edited:
That was the most impressive player interview I can remember for a long time. So comfortable, engaging, and without cliche. Sounds like a good human and every football club (and workplace) needs more of them.
Totally knocked it out of the park. Very much looking forward to hearing from him again.

That was the most impressive player interview I can remember for a long time. So comfortable, engaging, and without cliche. Sounds like a good human and every football club (and workplace) needs more of them.

Yeah I’ve said it already but he’s just going to be a fan favourite very very quickly if he’s not already.

He’s likable and funny but also seems to genuinely want to play some of his best footy with the Swans. I enjoyed seeing how excited he was just by the fact we were interested. I didn’t watch a single interview when he was at Collingwood or Melbourne but their loss is definitely our gain.

Listening to his media conferences, I'd have to go back to Ted Richards to think of one of our players who seemed so comfortable and relaxed in front of the media.

Given he was at Collingwood, I am surprised he didn't have a bigger media profile.
Probably because a lot of the Pies players are similar like that from what I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Grundy at training yesterday. At one point the players were paired up to do contested ground ball gets. Grundy was paired with Reid. I am tempted to say Reid towelled him up but there were a couple of instances where Grundy was able to use his superior strength and just out-body Reid and win the ball. I loved Reid's competitiveness and I think it irked Brodie a little bit.

I can't escape the feeling that Adams and Jordon decided to come to us at least partly because Grundy did. That and feeling connected in discussions. A common thread.

It was clearly a factor in relation to Adams but Jordon was a Swans fan growing up I believe, and we've been interested in him since his draft year. The fact that he was a delisted free agent on the fringes of a strong team just made our life a lot easier.

Gosh I'm excited to not only watch this guy go about his business over the next few years but also how he's going to help young Green develop also. I think our ruck will be a major strength of our for years to come. Really exciting times ahead.

I though he'd be a transformative player and he showed the first signs of it tonight. We've always struggled as a clearance side and we gave it to one of the best clearance sides without Adams, Parker and Mills.

And we get him for half price.

I watched Max Gawn in the practice match last week against Carlton, totally dominant and clear BOG - 30 HOs, 5 clearances, 24 disposals, 2 goals....and then tonight I watched Brodie go up against the bloke who effectively relegated him to the ressies last year and over the course of the evening Grundy was the clear winner.

He had a point to prove tonight and prove it he did.
31 HOs, 9 clearances and he got around the ground superbly to collect 22 disposals.

A guy who got dumped by Collingwood, sent to the ressies by Melbourne and sure only the first game for us, but so reminiscent of his AA years and as The Gong says above so transformative in our clearance & on-ball performance. And thanks to Collingwood, we only have to pay half his wages.

Welcome Mr Grundy, feel free to stay around. :)

If we get 15-16 performances like that out of Brodie Grundy this year across the season, it'll take some almighty good football team to stop us from being there when it matters.

The conditions didn't let us take full advantage, but watch out when in better conditions he plays that well. Great start, and hopefully the start of something great.

Same again next week please good Sir - we want some more of that please!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back