Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy: 200 Games. Now matching the IQ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

I was saying really loudly last year that our midfield wasn't necessarily bad, but because Hickey couldn't jump anymore.

With Grundy fit and firing, our midfield can actually be fed.

Smashed Gawn the longer the game went on. Fantastic recruit.

In the last 30 years we've had the likes of Jolly, Mumford, Pyke, Stafford, Ball, etc who were all great and made solid contributions, but Grundy looks a level above them; which is no slight on them.

In the last 30 years we've had the likes of Jolly, Mumford, Pyke, Stafford, Ball, etc who were all great and made solid contributions, but Grundy looks a level above them; which is no slight on them.

this is not an argument ... but i think mumford doesn't get the credit he deserved because of the style of player (and bloke) he was ...
he was a very good ruckman who lifted the players around
but yes, grundy is an elite mobile ruck

It’s like he was always meant to be a Swan. The transition is seamless and beautiful to witness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the thing that struck him was the match in values and that Sydney sent the heavy hitters to demonstrate that we really wanted him after he'd felt rejected by two clubs and that we wanted what he wanted. Add in the lifestyle and Port never stood a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be too harsh on Mumford and Jolly. They were immense in periods too. Mumford especially

Congrats on a great pick up.
I'm a Hawks fan but have always liked Grundy.
Doesn't over-celebrate, cheat, whinge or make it about himself - just works his butt off every game he plays.
Gawn may be the best overall ruckman of the past decade, but Grundy has been the best stoppage ruckman. The proverbial extra midfielder.

I was happy for Tom Mitchell when he saluted for the Pies (who I normally hate) and I'll be equally happy for Grundy if the Swans get up. Didn't think I'd be saying that this time last year.

I think the thing that struck him was the match in values and that Sydney sent the heavy hitters to demonstrate that we really wanted him after he'd felt rejected by two clubs and that we wanted what he wanted. Add in the lifestyle and Port never stood a chance.

If I’m making a million a year I’m picking Sydney over Adelaide to live. Every single time. I’d probably pick Sydney on half that.

The Sydney lifestyle suits Grundy perfectly.

It’s not just how he out played Gawn, he roved like a midfielder, just wow.

We’ve never had a decent ruck, scary thing is imagine the midfield chemistry and clearances after a few more games together.

Bullish !
We have had decent rucks. What we've been missing is a ruck that consistently allows us to address the weaknesses we have in the middle & around the ground.

We have had decent rucks. What we've been missing is a ruck that consistently allows us to address the weaknesses we have in the middle & around the ground.
My favorite ruck will always be Mummy. When our team ran out together, they all ran out with confidence. Confidence in that Mummy would sort out any problems if they arose onfield. Mummy was an enforcer. No. THE enforcer. No one stuffed around with Mummy. If any opposition player got out of line, Mummy soon sorted them out.

In the 2014 GF we got smashed illegally. Mummy would have sorted that out.

Sometimes you need a big guy in your corner.

But not so much these days. But it does help.

My favorite ruck will always be Mummy. When our team ran out together, they all ran out with confidence. Confidence in that Mummy would sort out any problems if they arose onfield. Mummy was an enforcer. No. THE enforcer. No one stuffed around with Mummy. If any opposition player got out of line, Mummy soon sorted them out.

In the 2014 GF we got smashed illegally. Mummy would have sorted that out.

Sometimes you need a big guy in your corner.

But not so much these days. But it does help.
I think having a ruck who follows up like a midfielder goes some way to addressing the fact that our mids are younger (and lighter) than the hardened bodies of a team like Melbourne.

It’s not just how he out played Gawn, he roved like a midfielder, just wow.

We’ve never had a decent ruck, scary thing is imagine the midfield chemistry and clearances after a few more games together.

Bullish !

His AA years or close to it for the Pies that’s what he did played as a tall mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back