Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy: 200 Games. Now matching the IQ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

I’m loving having Brody with us. We’ve finally got a young, smart, agile & fit ruckman. He was way too intelligent for Collingwood, and there was no way the Dees would allow him to upstage Gawn. Now that Naismith is Richmond’s problem & Jesus has retired, Ladhams (is he still with us?) needs to grow up, get his sh*t together, and we might have a good ruck combination.

I’m loving having Brody with us. We’ve finally got a young, smart, agile & fit ruckman. He was way too intelligent for Collingwood, and there was no way the Dees would allow him to upstage Gawn. Now that Naismith is Richmond’s problem & Jesus has retired, Ladhams (is he still with us?) needs to grow up, get his sh*t together, and we might have a good ruck combination.
McLean is a very handy cut out being a much better forward than Ladhams and a useful second ruck.

the glimpses i saw of ladhams in preseason suggest he is taking seriously the challenge to play and develop in grundy's shadow, and hopefully be ready to take over when grundy finishes up, which could still be 4-5 years off
i still can't believe there's been suggestions grundy, about to turn 30, is over the hill
more likely he's been "freshened" not having played full seasons the past two years

My favorite ruck will always be Mummy. When our team ran out together, they all ran out with confidence. Confidence in that Mummy would sort out any problems if they arose onfield. Mummy was an enforcer. No. THE enforcer. No one stuffed around with Mummy. If any opposition player got out of line, Mummy soon sorted them out.

In the 2014 GF we got smashed illegally. Mummy would have sorted that out.

Sometimes you need a big guy in your corner.

But not so much these days. But it does help.
Agree 100%

Of the players we lost due to signing Buddy, Mummy was always the one I regretted losing.

The players walked taller around him, and losing an enforcer like him made our team pretty soft. There were many occasions post mummy where I thought to myself, damn we could have used mummy out there to even the ledger. Or square up a player who committed a dog act.

2014 GF was a prime example as you rightly mentioned.

Agree 100%

Of the players we lost due to signing Buddy, Mummy was always the one I regretted losing.

The players walked taller around him, and losing an enforcer like him made our team pretty soft. There were many occasions post mummy where I thought to myself, damn we could have used mummy out there to even the ledger. Or square up a player who committed a dog act.

2014 GF was a prime example as you rightly mentioned.

I share the Mummy love but am curious how you decide which players we lost "due to signing Buddy". Which of Mitchell, Aliir & Dawson qualify (if any)?

Apparently the Swans ripped off Melbourne with the Brodie trade.
Trade ban incoming …
Imagine the fall out if Gawn cops a long term injury or is forced to play out the year with a restricting injury.

I can see the narrative now. Melbourne made a mistake letting Brodie go for so cheap, Grundy managed to upstage Gawn in their first encounter and would have been the perfect replacement for Gawn.

Was always going to be a tough decision letting Grundy go but one that had to be made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine the fall out if Gawn cops a long term injury or is forced to play out the year with a restricting injury.

I can see the narrative now. Melbourne made a mistake letting Brodie go for so cheap, Grundy managed to upstage Gawn in their first encounter and would have been the perfect replacement for Gawn.

Was always going to be a tough decision letting Grundy go but one that had to be made.

Did you miss it? This is exactly what Kane Cornes has already said, last week immediately after we played: Melbourne criticised for trading Grundy to Sydney for a “bag of chips”.

Did you miss it? This is exactly what Kane Cornes has already said, last week immediately after we played: Melbourne criticised for trading Grundy to Sydney for a “bag of chips”.
I hadn't seen Cornes article. I was more referring to the rapture that would ensue if Gawn copped an injury. There would be a chorus of Cornes-like articles about it.

For what it's worth, Cornes missed the mark in his article imo. Sure, what he says makes sense hypothetically. And sure, they traded him for less than he was really worth, but they picked him up for around the same pick, so I'm not sure what Cornes is really getting at.

Realistically, Melbourne identified it wasn't working. They had to offload his salary so they could look at bringing in a player to fill a list need rather than wasting it on an expensive VFL player.

You can't just keep a first class ruckman sitting in the VFL, that ruckman happens to be a person who has their own career aspirations. And you can't just say we're trading you to a bottom 4 side, the AFLPA would be all over it.

It would have been a difficult decision for Melbourne to make. But it was one they had to make nonetheless. And Grundy has a level of agency in where he ends up so it's really a moot point. Melbourne made a list management error in picking him up from Collingwood, they realised it was the wrong move, cut their losses and moved on.

Could it come back to bite them if Gawn gets injured? Yes. But the scary cap means you can't have an expensive player as a backup for a position you may not need when there are other list needs you can target.

Did it strengthen a rival? Yes. But that was unavoidable And something all teams face when offloading a player.

Pointless article imo

i still can't believe there's been suggestions grundy, about to turn 30, is over the hill
Yeah 28 to about 32/33 are usually the prime years for a good ruckman. Gawn is what? 34? Hasn't really started to slow up yet.

Grundy could still be an elite ruck for the next 4 or 5 years.

Yeah 28 to about 32/33 are usually the prime years for a good ruckman. Gawn is what? 34? Hasn't really started to slow up yet.

Grundy could still be an elite ruck for the next 4 or 5 years.

exactly! and we have to plan for that to be a genuine "premiership window", he's potentially that important
with him in the form he showed last week, and the young and developing talent across the board, we can be a genuine contender

I hadn't seen Cornes article. I was more referring to the rapture that would ensue if Gawn copped an injury. There would be a chorus of Cornes-like articles about it.

For what it's worth, Cornes missed the mark in his article imo. Sure, what he says makes sense hypothetically. And sure, they traded him for less than he was really worth, but they picked him up for around the same pick, so I'm not sure what Cornes is really getting at.

Realistically, Melbourne identified it wasn't working. They had to offload his salary so they could look at bringing in a player to fill a list need rather than wasting it on an expensive VFL player.

You can't just keep a first class ruckman sitting in the VFL, that ruckman happens to be a person who has their own career aspirations. And you can't just say we're trading you to a bottom 4 side, the AFLPA would be all over it.

It would have been a difficult decision for Melbourne to make. But it was one they had to make nonetheless. And Grundy has a level of agency in where he ends up so it's really a moot point. Melbourne made a list management error in picking him up from Collingwood, they realised it was the wrong move, cut their losses and moved on.

Could it come back to bite them if Gawn gets injured? Yes. But the scary cap means you can't have an expensive player as a backup for a position you may not need when there are other list needs you can target.

Did it strengthen a rival? Yes. But that was unavoidable And something all teams face when offloading a player.

Pointless article imo
Exactly right

Pointless article imo

I largely agree with your criticisms of Cornes, even though I'm not as down on him as many. I find him quite entertaining.

But in this particular case I think he was really overlooking or underestimating a range of factors, especially of salary cap.

What's worse, is that I am mistrustful of Kane's motives. I think they could even be worse than trying to garner clicks, I think he actually is being a bit mischievous and deliberately sowing discontent for clubs among their fans. I think he is doing something similar when he talks up Will Hayward being underrated - I suspect him of trying to make us pay more for Hayward than otherwise we might have to and possibly he's doing this because he's trying to help Port Adelaide who he has openly aligned himself with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back