Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy: 200 Games. Now matching the IQ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

I largely agree with your criticisms of Cornes, even though I'm not as down on him as many. I find him quite entertaining.

But in this particular case I think he was really overlooking or underestimating a range of factors, especially of salary cap.

What's worse, is that I am mistrustful of Kane's motives. I think they could even be worse than trying to garner clicks, I think he actually is being a bit mischievous and deliberately sowing discontent for clubs among their fans. I think he is doing something similar when he talks up Will Hayward being underrated - I suspect him of trying to make us pay more for Hayward than otherwise we might have to and possibly he's doing this because he's trying to help Port Adelaide who he has openly aligned himself with.
Interesting theory... might have some merit.

Although. If Port were realistically interested in picking Hayward up then his move would be counter-productive. If Port aren't interested in Hayward then perhaps you're on the money, this article would pit Sydney and Adelaide against each other, ensuring someone pays top dollar for his services, particularly if that's the Crows, would weaken his enemy.

exactly! and we have to plan for that to be a genuine "premiership window", he's potentially that important
with him in the form he showed last week, and the young and developing talent across the board, we can be a genuine contender

... i did mean for the entire grundy period

I largely agree with your criticisms of Cornes, even though I'm not as down on him as many. I find him quite entertaining.

But in this particular case I think he was really overlooking or underestimating a range of factors, especially of salary cap.

What's worse, is that I am mistrustful of Kane's motives. I think they could even be worse than trying to garner clicks, I think he actually is being a bit mischievous and deliberately sowing discontent fwhen he talks up Will Hayward being underrated - I suspect him of trying to make us pay more for Hayward than otherwise we might or clubs among their fans. I think he is doing something similar have to and possibly he's doing this because he's trying to help Port Adelaide who he has openly aligned himself with.

What's worse, is that I am mistrustful of Kane's motives. I think they could even be worse than trying to garner clicks, I think he actually is being a bit mischievous and deliberately sowing discontent for clubs among their fans. I think he is doing something similar when he talks up Will Hayward being underrated - I suspect him of trying to make us pay more for Hayward than otherwise we might have to and possibly he's doing this because he's trying to help Port Adelaide who he has openly aligned himself with.
To be fair a lot of managers include Sydney in being interested in a particular player before they sign with their clubs. I'm sure we are all over this and will only pay market rate ish.
Just look at Sydney's trajectory. I'm sure Hayward does not have Sydney over a barrel. Rather Sydney's trajectory has Hayward over a barrel.
Horse said after the game that 6 out of seven of the midfield were aged 20-23. Sydney is primed and all the players know it. No one is going to jump ship for a few extra packets of Samboys and miss a few flags.

To be fair a lot of managers include Sydney in being interested in a particular player before they sign with their clubs. I'm sure we are all over this and will only pay market rate ish.
Just look at Sydney's trajectory. I'm sure Hayward does not have Sydney over a barrel. Rather Sydney's trajectory has Hayward over a barrel.
Horse said after the game that 6 out of seven of the midfield were aged 20-23. Sydney is primed and all the players know it. No one is going to jump ship for a few extra packets of Samboys and miss a few flags.
Agree with this. I think we're in a strong position list-wise. We're just entering our premiership window. We've shown that we're finally able to attract high quality mature recruits (Grundy & Adams), and I think for most of our players, they would want to be part of a premiership alongside the players they have developed with. It would take a considerable offer to have our players turn their backs on a side that's likely to feature prominently over the next 5+ years. Hayward would be a prime example of a player who I'd expect would be strongly inclined to stay. And I really don't see one of the Adelaide clubs giving him an offer that's way over what we would be willing to pay him.

I expect him to re-sign. If anything. He's probably going to use the interest to get a bit more, and that's fair, but I expect the club and Hayward to agree on terms that are mutually beneficial.

Short story - we're (allegedly) paying Grundy $900k this year, not the $700k we first thought we would be (not including the Collingwood money).

Hence why we didn't give up much in draft picks when we found out.

So if Grundy's salary is $900,000. Collingwood is in for 25%. That is $225,000. $900,000 minus $225,000 equals $675,000.
We are paying Grundy $675,000 per year for the next 4 years. Collingwood are up for $225,000 f or Grundy over the next 4 years plus what they pay the American plus what they pay for Cameron.

We pay 675,000 for the 2nd best ruck in the AFL.
Collingwood pay $225,000 plus The American plus Cameron = more than $675000.

Who has the better ruck setup. Who is paying less.

So if Grundy's salary is $900,000. Collingwood is in for 25%. That is $225,000. $900,000 minus $225,000 equals $675,000.
We are paying Grundy $675,000 per year for the next 4 years. Collingwood are up for $225,000 f or Grundy over the next 4 years plus what they pay the American plus what they pay for Cameron.

We pay 675,000 for the 2nd best ruck in the AFL.
Collingwood pay $225,000 plus The American plus Cameron = more than $675000.

Who has the better ruck setup. Who is paying less.
That is not what the HS journalist is claiming. I have no idea if he's correct (and care even less) but he reckons Grundy is being paid well over $1m this season and that the Swans' contribution is around $900k.

That is not what the HS journalist is claiming. I have no idea if he's correct (and care even less) but he reckons Grundy is being paid well over $1m this season and that the Swans' contribution is around $900k.
When Grundy was playing at Collingwood his salary was quoted at about $1,000,000 over 7 years. I doubt it went up when he went to Melbourne. I reckon it would be about par when he came to us. I reckon my figures are around the mark give or take a lazy hundred thousand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ridiculous! He's basically getting exactly what he's owed, and as Dan87 said, he's getting extra for either the new Swans contract, and/or the CBA rise for this year.
It's probably just the CBA additions.

MEN'S PAY

Men’s average player wage to rise to approx. $519,000 by 2027 (up from $387,000)

10 per cent increase in base pay in 2023.

37 per cent increase in base pay by 2027

Interesting...

When it was posted at 4:48pm, it said this:

View attachment 1927079

So they screwed up, and quietly updated the article!
The journo who wrote that said pretty much the same on the new “HS journo chitchat” show that Fox has following AFL360. That was the source for my post.

I do t think I’ll be adding that show to my regular schedule. But I always record 360 so I can fast forward through the boring bits (ie 75% of most episodes) and the first part of this new show was recorded at the end of my 360 recording.

The journo who wrote that said pretty much the same on the new “HS journo chitchat” show that Fox has following AFL360. That was the source for my post.

I do t think I’ll be adding that show to my regular schedule. But I always record 360 so I can fast forward through the boring bits (ie 75% of most episodes) and the first part of this new show was recorded at the end of my 360 recording.

Was Robinson drunk … again?

Or sober… that would be news?

And not slaughtering the English language … stop the presses!

Wasn't his best night, but his tapwork was still at a level we haven't seen in years, and he laid 6 tackles, second for us behind Rowbottom and 4th overall.

On a night where he struggled around the ground he still found ways to impact and that's really valuable.

He also got some frankly shitty calls against him.

Wasn't his best night, but his tapwork was still at a level we haven't seen in years, and he laid 6 tackles, second for us behind Rowbottom and 4th overall.

On a night where he struggled around the ground he still found ways to impact and that's really valuable.

He also got some frankly shitty calls against him.
Struggled a bit to get front spot. Makes a difference. Never gave up. That does too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back