Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Craig McRae on SEN a massive fan of the opening round

Short story - we're actually (allegedly) paying Grundy $900k this year, not the $700k we first thought we would be (not including the Collingwood money).

Hence why we didn't give up much in draft picks when we found out.

Yet the likes of Geelong and Brisbane can afford players left, right and centre every year without questioning their salary cap. I call BS.

The last 5 minutes of that might be the most we’ve really gotten out of John. Ever. You can see what the game means to him and that he genuinely wants it to grow in Sydney and he’s passionate about us getting a fair go.

How sad that it’s been the AFL for 35 years and it still, in many ways, is the VFL. They get the most important game of the year, the only one that matters, in their state 99.99999999% of the time (COVID the exception) and it’s not enough. They can’t let anyone else have anything.

It’s absolutely appalling and disgusting if I’m being honest. A lot of Victorian footy fans and media personalities have a lot to answer for. They’re a disgrace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Vic and am back living here and would not live elsewhere in Oz BUT I despise the special pleading of every Vic footy club. I would celebrate the extinction of any of them and would shout the Bar if Carlton or Norf bit the dust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a Vic and am back living here and would not live elsewhere in Oz BUT I despise the special pleading of every Vic footy club. I would celebrate the extinction of any of them and would shout the Bar if Carlton or Norf bit the dust.
I'd be the first to take a pint if Carlton bit the dust, considering what they did to us in the early 90's. It's why I'll never jump on their bandwagon like the Vic media has done.

Harry Cunningham
Ollie Florent
Will Hayward
Lewis Melican
Sam Reid
Robbie Fox
I honestly think Hayward is only the 3rd best player out of that group, although taking age into account he'd be the 2nd-most valuable going forward.

If we're paying Grundy $1.2m this season, I imagine it's because we want to. Clubs can, within reason, move total contract amounts between years. The Swans would have been well aware, long before they negotiated a trade, how much Grundy's contract entitled him to over its entire length and how much Collingwood would be contributing. The initial schedule of payments would likely have been set by Collingwood when they entered into the contract with Grundy, but I imagine that could have been renegotiated with Grundy and his manager had the club needed to, particularly given how keen Grundy was to come here once he'd met with the club.

We went after a biggish name this year - Barrass, McKay - and didn't land one. We've possibly got a little still spare that we had expected (wanted) to pay Dawson before he decided to move elsewhere. We know Errol will require a significant pay increase when he re-signs, have a few others to sign up to new contracts (including fighting off Freo for McDonald) and have been putting out feelers for other headliners. So I daresay it made sense for the club to absorb a large chunk of the Grundy contract this year. It might mean we are close to the maximum cap for 2024 but doesn't mean our cap is bursting for 2025, 6, 7 etc.

Last edited:
I honestly think Hayward is only the 3rd best player out of that group, although taking age into account he'd be the 2nd-most valuable going forward.
I think Hayward and Florent are much of a muchness quality wise. Good solid foot soldiers. Though I think there is more scope for Hayward to improve his value to the club, particularly if he improves his goal conversion. I also think that, despite how maligned he is on here (by a handful), it would be far harder to find a player to replace the role he performs for the team than it would be to find a player to replace Florent.

Reid and Cunningham are pretty near the end of their careers. While Fox and Melican seem to exist on the fringes of the best 23. They're in at the moment but I doubt either feels cemented. Neither would attract the same at the trade table as Hayward or Florent or, in the context of free agency, be offered similar contracts by other clubs.

I think Hayward and Florent are much of a muchness quality wise. Good solid foot soldiers. Though I think there is more scope for Hayward to improve his value to the club, particularly if he improves his goal conversion. I also think that, despite how maligned he is on here (by a handful), it would be far harder to find a player to replace the role he performs for the team than it would be to find a player to replace Florent.

Reid and Cunningham are pretty near the end of their careers. While Fox and Melican seem to exist on the fringes of the best 23. They're in at the moment but I doubt either feels cemented. Neither would attract the same at the trade table as Hayward or Florent or, in the context of free agency, be offered similar contracts by other clubs.

Ollie is no world beater but I reckon he has proved an invaluable, reliable and adaptable member of the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back