Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing Is with dimma coming out and saying that we will get heck all for him

But he owes us nothing Caro has said in an ideal world he’d live in Sydney and play for us flying in and out for games but obviously that’s not an option

Blessing hey, wouldn't have mine. A once in a generation player who is arguably one of the best players Richmond has ever produced announces his retirement when the time comes in front of his Richmond teammates and ******* RETIRES IN FRONT OF RICHMOND SUPPORTERS WEARING THE YELLOW AND BLACK, not some undeserving other clubs fans.....heck THAT.

Whateley stirring the Tiger pot now.

#weareeveryonesgrandfinal

I tried to watch it tonight - I really did - just could not - even before Gerard spoke much I had to listen to the big buffoon and I just couldn't do it - he is a 3rd class idiot - it's like watching or listening to Peter Hellier - it is utter wince material - the two most twee out of touch people I think I'm aware of. I turned off - he is just offensive to listen to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get maximum value out of any such trade, I expect we would foot a fair chunk of his salary at the new club.

Now before anyone spews up their dinner at such a thought, if it facilitated a really profitable trade for the Tigers that would otherwise not happen, then it would be very sound business on our part. Especially given that $1.4M x 2 years was already slated for Dusty's pay packet anyway. It would essentially be "buying" our next superstar(s) with real money, rather than sacrificing precious draft-pick currency.

So you propose we pay for two 'superstars' instead of one (or part thereof). I have this really great widget that i am prepared to let you take it off my hands for, oh I don't know, maybe a bit more than you can afford - that's right it is only more than you can afford - an absolute bargain really!!!!! ;)

Blessing hey, wouldn't have mine. A once in a generation player who is arguably one of the best players Richmond has ever produced announces his retirement when the time comes in front of his Richmond teammates and ******* RETIRES IN FRONT OF RICHMOND SUPPORTERS WEARING THE YELLOW AND BLACK, not some undeserving other clubs fans.....fu** THAT.

I don’t think he’ll want to play elsewhere. These rumours are just appearing because everyone assumes he’s too young to retire and if he moves to NSW he’ll play for Sydney or GWS.

He won’t go anywhere, loyalty far more important to Dusty, he’s lived in the Melb bubble for so long it’s not an issue, media beat-up, introvert with 95% of his small, tight social network in Melbourne, “fake news”, will not play for any other club than Richmond, might retire when Cotch does though, and maybe Dimma got the flick.
These trade hypotheticals are just a waste of time imo.

Dusty (3 x premierships, Brownlow medal, couple of NS's etc) is contracted to RFC until 2024 ...

and I recall Dusty also gave Peggy (AO, President of RFC, Chancellor of RMIT, etc ) an undertaking he'd honour that contract ....

Maybe FOX (s**t media outlet) is making shadows to jumps at ...

I think people need to be prepared for it. Watching the last 2 games, a bit like the Carlton game he is getting his numbers but doesn't look overly invested. If he goes to GWS, they aren't really a proper club so I could live with that. Get what we can, free up a huge amount of cap space, the club will go on. The other option really is he just retires. Im at the point where I feel its less likely than likely he is playing for us next season.

I reckon you’re way off. He’s been putting in more defensive acts then normal I reckon. I think he’s trying to keep it low key as an individual and just wants to help the team. He doesn’t want the attention. He is celebrating his teammates goals, more than his own

So you propose we pay for two 'superstars' instead of one (or part thereof). I have this really great widget that i am prepared to let you take it off my hands for, oh I don't know, maybe a bit more than you can afford - that's right it is only more than you can afford - an absolute bargain really!!!!! ;)
You're not listening to me PA - think it through. If the bloke is going and we cannot convince him otherwise, we need to generate the very best trade possible. If GWS or Sydney are forced to front $1.4M x 2 in 2023-24, we'll get basically nothing for Dusty. This is not free agency my friend - this is another club sacrificing a massive chunk of their otherwise bursting cap. The won't front with draft currency as well - their salary cap issue will be regarded as their sacrifice - they're not going to be doubly reamed.

Sorry to sound patronising, but let me write it down really clearly. If we were to continue to temporarily include a chunk of Dusty's wage under our cap, GWS (or Sydney) would not bear the full financial strain, and would therefore have a greater capacity to sacrifice in another department - i.e. the draft. Assisting another club with managing their salary cap could even cause something of a bidding war between both Sydney teams for Dusty's services in the form of what they could offer draft-wise (and/or young player trade-wise), and the prime beneficiary of that little dust-up would be Richmond.

That said, it would be a bit of an acknowledgement that our immediate premiership window is closed, but given the imminent retirements of Sheds, Cotch, Jack and possibly Lambo (not to mention the forced loss of Dusty), and let's be totally realistic here, that's fairly evident anyway. Their retirements would also imply that salary cap issues would be less of a short term concern for us.
The gain from a bumper Dusty draft-pick trade would fast-track our next premiership window by years. But only if ... and I repeat again IF ... he is intent on leaving Tigerland.

PS. I'm not sure where you're going with your "paying for two superstars" line?

Damien's comments are pretty wild to make if Dusty hasn't expressed some interest to do this. It would be totally wild if Damien just started saying "Dusty to Sydney" s**t if Dusty had NEVER said it himself. Its clearly on the cards. I am not sure what benefit there is for him adding fuel to that fire by even responding like this - why can't he just say "As we have said before, all maters involving Dusty we are not answering. He needs space & media talk like this is sure to not give him the space & privacy he currently required. Next Question".

Instead, we have now added a whole new distraction to the club, Dusty & the playing group.

Would be so gutted to see him in another teams colours. The Rance exit was a hard pill to swallow, but seeing Dusty play for Sydney or GWS would be incredibly hard to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back