Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t disagree but it’s hard to judge off the back of that game as well
We were well beaten and our team couldn’t do anything to turn the tide

Would need to see how he looks over the next few months when we can manage to field a more competitive side

It is not even one game it is just the second half. He is invested. Yze said Dusty wanted to go into the middle in the second half and the coaches refused because they wanted to fully expose the young players to having to fight back from getting trounced. Dusty was probably fuming, which should be more than enough to tell us he is invested.

I have seen him play early season games in our dynasty period where people said he didn't look like he gave a damn. Last year even early on people were saying he was cooked.

Next minute Smith and Ayres Medals and flags galore and last year came home like a steam train, pretty sure he was the top or second top rated player in the AFL over the last 8 matches.

Not going to mince words here TI, you are being idiotic. Dusty is not even asking anyone to commit to signing him until end of season. So that more than doubles the reasons for not making calls now.
Who gives a damn on whether Dusty is committed or not as this is a fan forum and we are discussing it based on media reports and fan interest. Piss off then if you feel that way and stop trolling if you believe your own garbage is right and implying we are all idiotic discussing Dusty's future.

Who gives a damn on whether Dusty is committed or not as this is a fan forum and we are discussing it based on media reports and fan interest. Piss off then if you feel that way and stop trolling if you believe your own garbage is right and implying we are all idiotic discussing Dusty's future.

Mate you are the one saying Dusty CAN NOT be allowed to play into next year. He probably is still our best footballer. If not, he is in our best couple. In case you didn't notice, 2 teams just won flags in the last 2 seasons with a hat full of older players who previously looked cooked. And not one of them is a patch on Dustin Martin.

I am not trolling, I genuinely find the proposition you put to be ludicrous. If Dusty has had enough at any point then he will tell the club I am sure. The cub won't be telling him his services are no longer required unless and until we see a long sustained run of poor form, and there is no way they should.

That is my view on the matter and if you find it objectionable then all the same advice you are giving me applies to you. Fmd, you have seriously lost the plot here TI.

Mate you are the one saying Dusty CAN NOT be allowed to play into next year. He probably is still our best footballer. If not, he is in our best couple. In case you didn't notice, 2 teams just won flags in the last 2 seasons with a hat full of older players who previously looked cooked. And not one of them is a patch on Dustin Martin.

I am not trolling, I genuinely find the proposition you put to be ludicrous. If Dusty has had enough at any point then he will tell the club I am sure. The cub won't be telling him his services are no longer required unless and until we see a long sustained run of poor form, and there is no way they should.

That is my view on the matter and if you find it objectionable then all the same advice you are giving me applies to you. Fmd, you have seriously lost the plot here TI.
That's my opinion as you're saying the opposite. FMD it's a forum to discuss not just to accept what you think. We are all entitled to our opinion and if you can't debate mine without getting personal then put me on ignore as i don't need a troll following me around.

Last edited:
We can't have him on our list next year for whatever feel good reason or as a team moving forward into rebuilding. It's just a waste of a spot and money and if Gale allows it then it's another s**t contract he's signed off on. Love Dusty, but we've paid him massive for his legendary service. He has to retire or move on if he still wants to play as we are running a football club/ business not a charity event for the rich and famous .lol
The Eagles loss is a taste of the result we get playing the kids. When/if we get a few cattle back the team is capable of winning football,
We're in for huge dynastic change. Potentially lose Baker and Graham to trade, I'd rather lose Prestia, Grimes Hugo, Combo Coulthard this year.

Our drafting has improved... go to the draft this year and next.

Dustin Martin is an inspirational living legend, one more year.

The Eagles loss is a taste of the result we get playing the kids. When/if we get a few cattle back the team is capable of winning football,
We're in for huge dynastic change. Potentially lose Baker and Graham to trade, I'd rather lose Prestia, Grimes Hugo, Combo Coulthard this year.

Our drafting has improved... go to the draft this year and next.

Dustin Martin is an inspirational living legend, one more year.
Fair enough mate and that's your opinion and i agree on everything except Dusty bc i think all his heroics for the RFC are now already in his autobiography. A lot of People on here go on their emotions rather than looking at the best outcome for the club which is fair enough based on a legend like Dusty. I can't see any advantage for him being on our list for us moving forward as he can't add anymore to us or his autobiography.

I think theres more value keeping Dusty and cutting loose:
Graham
Prestia
Dow
Broad
Mcintosh
I’d even let go Baker before him

I know he didn’t look like he was scrambling and chasing everything defending that’s always been there.
He still doesn’t get beaten often, he’s still better at getting the ball to others by foot still than nearly all our players.

We’ve seen getting games into young kids isn’t enough on its own, seen it at GC for ten years.
Young players would still want to play/train along side him and I’d think a couple of words from him to the group or others probably carry’s more weight than a Taranto, Hopper.
He is a a leader, players still want to be like him and supporters will come to watch him, just like we did for Richo.

considering its still going after all these years...must be popular and viewed by enough viewers to not agree with you.
Those tabloid footy shows are the footy media equivalent of the Facebook comments section. Yes, I agree they are popular and have enough viewers to stay afloat.

But that doesn't mean it's not full of flogs commenting just for the sake of being inflammatory.

I find what they have to say irrelevant to my life and enjoyment of footy, so I avoid. Just like I avoid Facebook comments sections.

no as the senior players are showing moments where they pick and choose to do whatever they please and when. ThEY DON'T CARE AND NEED TO MOVE ON OR RETIRE AS WE NEED STANDARDS TO LIFT.
I like you TI but it's time to log off for a day or two mate.

Yze said Dusty wanted to go into the middle in the second half and the coaches refused because they wanted to fully expose the young players to having to fight back from getting trounced.

Intriguing if so.
Says we don't consider ourselves a finals contender, as if we were, we'd move Dusty into the middle and try and win the game.

Fair enough mate and that's your opinion and i agree on everything except Dusty bc i think all his heroics for the RFC are now already in his autobiography. A lot of People on here go on their emotions rather than looking at the best outcome for the club which is fair enough based on a legend like Dusty. I can't see any advantage for him being on our list for us moving forward as he can't add anymore to us or his autobiograp
He's played some good footy but he looks injury affected at the moment. too early to call his career over IMO

What's your list strategy?

He's played some good footy but he looks injury affected at the moment. too early to call his career over IMO

What's your list strategy?
With our injuries you would most likely be 99.99999999999999999% right.
List strategy is to clean out every one that won’t be there for our next flag in the senior ranks
Of the ones who want or could be traded out they go next .
Keep all kids except probably NIWL, Dow , HRS , Colina and Coulthard
Keep Kosi one more year even though I would like to get rid of him , but three years?
Bank as many picks as possible hopefully for next two to three drafts.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham
Prestia
Dow
Broad
Mcintosh
agree totally..
would sell Baker to the best Perth option and take those draft picks in a heart beat..
You respect royalty, not look to every avenue to get rid of him.
Dusty stays= 1 year contract extension!

Graham
Prestia
Dow
Broad
Mcintosh

I know he didn’t look like he was scrambling and chasing everything defending that’s always been there.
He still doesn’t get beaten often, he’s still better at getting the ball to others by foot still than nearly all our players.

We’ve seen getting games into young kids isn’t enough on its own, seen it at GC for ten years.
Young players would still want to play/train along side him and I’d think a couple of words from him to the group or others probably carry’s more weight than a Taranto, Hopper.
He is a a leader, players still want to be like him and supporters will come to watch him, just like we did for Richo.
Preferring to lose Baker over Dusty is crazy when you consider where we're at and where they're at.

Gale has one foot out the door at Richmond with Tasmania coming into the competition.

I got no issue of re-signing Dusty even for 2 years. Pendlebury held out for 2 years at the Pies and he was even older a couple of years ago, but it should be on our terms & heavily reduced salary.

If not than I got no issues with him exploring his options, It would be sad to see him finish up at another club but that's life, Richmond have given him just as much as he has given Richmond that's why it's been such a success.
We'll have 1.2 off our cap at the end of the year.With the TPP arrangements we have to spend what 95% of the cap?So we'll have to spend that 1.2k on somebody(s).In your opinion whats heavily reduced?

Intriguing if so.
Says we don't consider ourselves a finals contender, as if we were, we'd move Dusty into the middle and try and win the game.
I heard the Yze comments as basically a veiled acknowledgement that Dusty was still carrying a bit of an injury. And that moving him into the midfield the week before we have a bye was an unnecessary risk to his next month or so of footy, possibly longer.

I suspect he's in cotton wool to an extent until he gets to his 300 games. Wise.

Preferring to lose Baker over Dusty is crazy when you consider where we're at and where they're at.
If it does come down to keep one and lose one of those two… I wouldn’t be happy with either outcome.

Maybe I am a bit sentimental but he’s a big part of why I got to celebrate a flag and bawl my eyes out after going through so many years of pain.
I couldnt ever say I’d let him go for a better offer.
I couldn’t do it mate

Wonder what compo we’d get for Bakes. Not that I want to see him go, but he’s worth considerably more than Graham and Broad, and Kmac has zero value.

Re Dusty, Hope he stays in the Y&B. As long as his heart is in it.

wouldn’t be re-signing Prestia. He’s done, no way at his age soft tissue injuries suddenly start disappearing.
Grimes retires.

We could have some serious cap space, if there’s a mass exodus.

Wonder what compo we’d get for Bakes. Not that I want to see him go, but he’s worth considerably more than Graham and Broad, and Kmac has zero value.

wouldn’t be resigning Prestia. He’s done, no way at his age soft tissue injuries suddenly start disappearing.
Grimes retires.

Prestia will make the call himself.
Retirement s just around the corner.

wouldn’t be resigning Prestia. He’s done, no way at his age soft tissue injuries suddenly start disappearing.
Grimes retires.

With baker wouldn't be shocked if you could burgle say about pick 14 & 45 with something like pick 30-35 going back the other way.

Prestia will make the call himself.
Retirement s just around the corner.
Hope so. But wasn’t there some suggestion at the end of last year he wanted to head back north?
Even if he did want to play on, there’d be few clubs that’d take the risk, unless he was playing for peanuts, and that ain’t happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back