Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

I would lIke Higgo to come out and say, ”nup! I love this club and I’d luv to stick around and help this next batch of truly talented players we have coming through”.

He might not be in a position to do that yet.

Give it time mate

Why can’t we just add another year onto his contract? The guy is an outright gun. If he falls over in his last year, make him play in the magoos

Do you think you guys would trade him for a token pick in the 50s or later (similar to recent deals for Jack Steven, Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell etc) or that you'd be pushing harder?

nah wont happen not like north need the cap space,,,,,think more like to offer to pay his salary next year in return for one of geelongs early picks as a starting point. Help out the cats get more stars and stay within cap to have a tilt. Could be more complicated, send over a promising young player starved of opportunities with pick swaps. could look like anything, but ultimately I'd think a player of that class will run around in vertical stripes next year if a pick in the 50s is all the cats can come up with.

Depends what your motivation for trading him is.

We traded Steve Johnson to GWS for pick 80 when he was still in our best half dozen players, two years later he kicked six for them in a final.

I don't know if North wants to trade Higgins to assist the rebuild in terms of getting a reasonably valuable pick, or you just want to open more spots in your B22 up for younger players.
Daresay 2020 already had a load of kids running around take out the 11 just axed and brown being traded, there's a whole lot more. I don't think we need to make spots available for kids. From memory Stevie J was pretty much being delisted/told to retire (think the same with Chapman), and out of respect for him they "traded" him to GWS for pick 80. Higgo is still contracted and a valuable player.

what a deal - the club champion for pick 25, sure to be a success. crazy stuff

The club told him not to expect an extension to his contract from us. Pick 25 for the loss of 1 year, yeah that seems fair. Geelong will likely get 2 years out of him so 25 seems reasonable for them as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch 9 saying Saints have entered race for Higgo.
I'm confused as how St Kilda could be in the picture for any trades this year after the massive influx of FA and trades last year. I'm fairly sure they don't have a first or second round draft pick to offer this year as a result either. They literally have nothing to offer us.

On another matter Higgins was one of the four players mentioned by the Club only a few weeks ago as "untouchable". How can things change so quickly? I'd love the administration to actually stand for something and stay true to it's word with at least those four players nominated. The leadership that Higgins provides the younger players and the list in general is worth more than a second or third round pick, which I'd say is exactly why the Club came out with such a bold statement in the first place.

I'm confused as how St Kilda could be in the picture for any trades this year after the massive influx of FA and trades last year. I'm fairly sure they don't have a first or second round draft pick to offer this year as a result either. They literally have nothing to offer us.

On another matter Higgins was one of the four players mentioned by the Club only a few weeks ago as "untouchable". How can things change so quickly? I'd love the administration to actually stand for something and stay true to it's word with at least those four players nominated. The leadership that Higgins provides the younger players and the list in general is worth more than a second or third round pick, which I'd say is exactly why the Club came out with such a bold statement in the first place.
I think the club would want Higgins to stay, but with the direction now very clear (bringing in youth to build a large group peaking at the same time) means Higgins will be retired by the time we hit the flag window, so they’ve offered him the option of chasing a flag out of sheer good faith.

I'd hate to see him go, but it is probably in his best interest to leave. I wouldn't do it for a s**t pick but I'd carry most/all of his salary for next year if the value of the compensation was adequately inflated beyond what would otherwise be his market value.

He is 32, regardless if he stays or goes we have to get used to life without him sooner or later. He likely wont get a contract beyond 2021 and has already been pushed out of his preferred role to give LDU and Simpkin a more prominent role.

As long as we keep the inside players like Cunnington, Anderson, etc I think we can afford to lose the outside players like Higgins and Polec, it is not like keeping him or not is going to be the difference between us contesting or not.

I wouldn't do it for a garbage pick.

I'd hate to see him go, but it is probably in his best interest to leave. I wouldn't do it for a sh*t pick but I'd carry most/all of his salary for next year if the value of the compensation was adequately inflated beyond what would otherwise be his market value.

He is 32, regardless if he stays or goes we have to get used to life without him sooner or later. He likely wont get a contract beyond 2021 and has already been pushed out of his preferred role to give LDU and Simpkin a more prominent role.

As long as we keep the inside players like Cunnington, Anderson, etc I think we can afford to lose the outside players like Higgins and Polec, it is not like keeping him or not is going to be the difference between us contesting or not.

I wouldn't do it for a garbage pick.
Higgins is currently a better player than both Simpkin and LDU, he wasn't pushed out through any merit, we were no where near it so develop the next crop.
If we were playing to win tomorrow Higgins would be right there in the middle with Cunners.
I'm all for the development of the young blokes, but lets not pretend like they have shown anything near Higgos level yet.

He has 3 years left in him i'd say, and i'd prefer to keep him than let him go for some bs pick 35.

It seems to be the way they go these days - the mature business transaction. Loyalty not really expected by club or player.

I suppose we are doing the right thing by him at his age - giving him options. I think he will be able to get a 2 year contract somewhere.

I hope we are saying the same thing to Ziebel.

It seems to be the way they go these days - the mature business transaction. Loyalty not really expected by club or player.

I suppose we are doing the right thing by him at his age - giving him options. I think he will be able to get a 2 year contract somewhere.

I hope we are saying the same thing to Ziebel.

Aint no one giving Jack a 2 year deal.

aints have picks 14 and 58

Depends what your motivation for trading him is.

We traded Steve Johnson to GWS for pick 80 when he was still in our best half dozen players, two years later he kicked six for them in a final.

I don't know if North wants to trade Higgins to assist the rebuild in terms of getting a reasonably valuable pick, or you just want to open more spots in your B22 up for younger players.

I suspect that if Higgins was offered two years at Geelong then a suitable exchange would occur. But ultimately he is contracted and frankly we're not in this to help out other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back