Media 40 before Season 40

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 878420

36. The Sweet F.A. will reach the mainstream media

In the roughly 30 year history of Mobbs’ Qooty it has (to my knowledge) never reached the mainstream media. The term mainstream is subjective but for the sake of this prediction I’m talking about the big newspapers/tv stations and online outlets. Qooty is the sort of thing that you could find tucked away in the depths of a newspaper (or one day on the front page when Mobbs takes over the world) or as one of the recommended articles on a news site. The fact that for the past 19 years there has been a fantasy AFL league running with 12 teams with unique personalities and a variety of posters is the sort of interesting little tidbit that could get picked up by the media.

Would the Sweet F.A. getting more attention be a good thing? Well I mean it would mean that expansion is a given and that there would be at least a slight influx in people joining the league. I can’t see much negative attention coming to the league as it’s all light hearted banter. Ultimately I don’t think it would change a lot but it’d be nice to see Qooty get a little more attention.

This is all merely speculation but a news story on Qooty would probably be based around Mobbs and his creation of the sim as well as a small bit about the league. While I don’t think it’d garner much attention it would be a nice little bit of recognition.

This whole prediction is pretty unlikely and relies on Mobbs’ willingness to do a potential interview as well as someone stumbling upon the league and thinking that it could be an interesting story.

If the league actually has gained media attention I apologise I couldn’t find anything on the internet about Qooty outside of BigFooty/Facebook except for this single Urban Dictionary page. I don’t think the person who wrote the definition was thinking of the same Qooty that we play here…

Depends on your definition of main stream media, but with no other sport on right now, Qooty and the Gumbies has got a run on the radio sports show I do 3 or 4 times this year. It is small local radio, maybe that is too small for you to count.

Does that mean #35 will be the WONDERS winning one final in ten seasons?
Not even I am that dumb

Depends on your definition of main stream media, but with no other sport on right now, Qooty and the Gumbies has got a run on the radio sports show I do 3 or 4 times this year. It is small local radio, maybe that is too small for you to count.

It counts I guess?!?! Did you plug the team and did you get any new recruits out of it lol?

Not even I am that dumb

It counts I guess?!?! Did you plug the team and did you get any new recruits out of it lol?

Obviously the sports show are seriously lacking content.

When they had me on a few weeks after everything had shut. They asked where a sports junkie like me was getting my fix, and I basically said I have thrown myself into Qooty, explained what it was, we all had a laugh of the absurdity of it, but loved it. in following appearances I talked about how the Gumbies were getting flogged, joked about how I was being overlooked for the rising star, that sort of stuff. It has been a good source of fun. For context, a few years back after I talked about the serious stuff, they used to give me updates on our Swindon was travelling in Div 2. It is a bit of irreverent show for sports nuts.

One week, at one point we were talking about options to structure domestic rugby post super 12 and the impact on elite pathways (my area of expertise) and than we are discussing how I was ripped off in the rising star.

Last edited:
View attachment 878420

36. The Sweet F.A. will reach the mainstream media

In the roughly 30 year history of Mobbs’ Qooty it has (to my knowledge) never reached the mainstream media. The term mainstream is subjective but for the sake of this prediction I’m talking about the big newspapers/tv stations and online outlets. Qooty is the sort of thing that you could find tucked away in the depths of a newspaper (or one day on the front page when Mobbs takes over the world) or as one of the recommended articles on a news site. The fact that for the past 19 years there has been a fantasy AFL league running with 12 teams with unique personalities and a variety of posters is the sort of interesting little tidbit that could get picked up by the media.

Would the Sweet F.A. getting more attention be a good thing? Well I mean it would mean that expansion is a given and that there would be at least a slight influx in people joining the league. I can’t see much negative attention coming to the league as it’s all light hearted banter. Ultimately I don’t think it would change a lot but it’d be nice to see Qooty get a little more attention.

This is all merely speculation but a news story on Qooty would probably be based around Mobbs and his creation of the sim as well as a small bit about the league. While I don’t think it’d garner much attention it would be a nice little bit of recognition.

This whole prediction is pretty unlikely and relies on Mobbs’ willingness to do a potential interview as well as someone stumbling upon the league and thinking that it could be an interesting story.

If the league actually has gained media attention I apologise I couldn’t find anything on the internet about Qooty outside of BigFooty/Facebook except for this single Urban Dictionary page. I don’t think the person who wrote the definition was thinking of the same Qooty that we play here…
As far as I know, Qooty has never been mentioned in MSM. Footypedia had got mentioned a couple of times here and there, but never Qooty. The only surprising sudden arising of a reference to the sim I'd ever found on the web (apart from small forum communities starting comps or considering using it to start a comp sometimes), was when I found it had been listed on Wikipedia among examples of Text Simulator games : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_sim (nope, I didn't enter that reference, and I've always wondered who did!)

1590039576048.png

35. There will be a tie for the E.K.A. medal
The EKA medal is always an odd medal, some posters take to the league like a duck to water and dominate their first season easily taking out the EKA. Whereas some of the current best posters didn't have particularly strong seasons. Traditionally, the EKA voting hasn't been particularly close, but more recently the EKA race has been a lot tighter (Bar Season 27 where AceAndy absolutely mopped the floor with all of the other challengers.) Take last season for example where Tiger God (The artist formerly known as Aunty Blind Eye) edged out Bloodied52 by just 4 votes. Though the records I could find are hazy and votes weren’t kept some years as far as I can see there has been no ties as of yet. In fact the closest I could find was in season 26 when Cadaver was pipped by a single vote by now Gumbies captain Barrybran.

This season we have an undeniably strong class with Tonga Bob, serial_thrilla, Chipmunk and GWS Goose probably leading the pack with posters like GremioPower PurpleGreenRed and Cesoir just behind. The possibility of a tie seems more likely now than ever this season with voting sure to be very tight this season. Very late in the piece it looks like it’ll be a sprint finish between tonga bob and serial_thrilla. Both posters have been very strong and it’ll be hard to seperate them.

With the amount of rookies set to join the league next season (be that with or without expansion) and there looks to be another strong crop of rookies. It is highly likely that with a number of strong classes and more rookies than ever seeming to find their feet in their opening season that we will see a tie before Season 40. I think it’s likely we will start to see less rookies who are head and shoulders better than the rest of their counterparts and that we’ll see more even groups.

View attachment 878991

The EKA medal is always an odd medal, some posters take to the league like a duck to water and dominate their first season easily taking out the EKA. Whereas some of the current best posters didn't have particularly strong seasons. Traditionally, the EKA voting hasn't been particularly close, but more recently the EKA race has been a lot tighter (Bar Season 27 where AceAndy absolutely mopped the floor with all of the other challengers.) Take last season for example where Tiger God (The artist formerly known as Aunty Blind Eye) edged out Bloodied52 by just 4 votes. Though the records I could find are hazy and votes weren’t kept some years as far as I can see there has been no ties as of yet. In fact the closest I could find was in season 26 when Cadaver was pipped by a single vote by now Gumbies captain Barrybran.

This season we have an undeniably strong class with Tonga Bob, serial_thrilla, Chipmunk and GWS Goose probably leading the pack with posters like GremioPower PurpleGreenRed and Cesoir just behind. The possibility of a tie seems more likely now than ever this season with voting sure to be very tight this season. Very late in the piece it looks like it’ll be a sprint finish between tonga bob and serial_thrilla. Both posters have been very strong and it’ll be hard to seperate them.

With the amount of rookies set to join the league next season (be that with or without expansion) and there looks to be another strong crop of rookies. It is highly likely that with a number of strong classes and more rookies than ever seeming to find their feet in their opening season that we will see a tie before Season 40. I think it’s likely we will start to see less rookies who are head and shoulders better than the rest of their counterparts and that we’ll see more even groups.
hope 3.png

View attachment 878991

zyDditNL8k5ChOm7_3h6RbaxJmk=.gif

View attachment 878991

1590042796260.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at all these thirsty rookies lusting after the EKA.

Im far too dignified for that.

I know the good people of Sweet FA will do the right thing.

View attachment 879018

Upon further inspection, a button with 1st place seems to have been stuck onto the ribbon. Removing the button revealed it’s true nature...

1590044117826.png

View attachment 878991

Any particular reason you had me listed 4th.

Also seems odd that you mention the sprint finish to the minor placings.

I do agree it is undeniably a strong class of rookies.

Any particular reason you had me listed 4th.

Also seems odd that you mention the sprint finish to the minor placings.

I do agree it is undeniably a strong class of rookies.

he's recognizing your natural mehness

1590475624212.png

34. Kennedy Parker‘s sim will become the program used for Sweet F.A. games by Season 35

This one is actually in the works I believe. Headed by Kennedy Parker a project to rewrite/update Mobbs‘ code for the Qooty program. As far as I can see the last update to the Qooty program was in late 2012 when Qooty v.10.5 was released fixing a few minor bugs.

Kennedy Parker’s update aims to address a few key issues. The main ones being pronouns, goals after the siren and adjusting the Mobbs vote formula. Along with this, there are plans to fix bugs and sort out the collation of specific stats. A plan of action was floated in August of 2018 and then in mid-2019 KP began posting pictures and videos of his work which proved very impressive.

An insane amount of work went into these upgrades and the result is shaping up to be very good. I am almost certain that this work will be finished (either by KP or by others using the code he wrote) and that the new sim will begin being used as the primary sim for the Sweet F.A. This is a given, the upgrade (if/when it is finished) will obviously enhance the league with a number of changes to gameplay mean that it will play even more like a game of footy.

If you’d like to read Kennedy Parker‘s excellent Sim upgrade thread, you can read it here
If you would like to read or even suggest a change to the sim, the thread is here

View attachment 881754

34. Kennedy Parker‘s sim will become the program used for Sweet F.A. games by Season 35

This one is actually in the works I believe. Headed by Kennedy Parker a project to rewrite/update Mobbs‘ code for the Qooty program. As far as I can see the last update to the Qooty program was in late 2012 when Qooty v.10.5 was released fixing a few minor bugs.

Kennedy Parker’s update aims to address a few key issues. The main ones being pronouns, goals after the siren and adjusting the Mobbs vote formula. Along with this, there are plans to fix bugs and sort out the collation of specific stats. A plan of action was floated in August of 2018 and then in mid-2019 KP began posting pictures and videos of his work which proved very impressive.

An insane amount of work went into these upgrades and the result is shaping up to be very good. I am almost certain that this work will be finished (either by KP or by others using the code he wrote) and that the new sim will begin being used as the primary sim for the Sweet F.A. This is a given, the upgrade (if/when it is finished) will obviously enhance the league with a number of changes to gameplay mean that it will play even more like a game of footy.

If you’d like to read Kennedy Parker‘s excellent Sim upgrade thread, you can read it here
If you would like to read or even suggest a change to the sim, the thread is here
Was kinda hoping that Chief would be pick it up at some point in the near future in regards to a rewrite of the sim for python, but if that doesn't eventuate I'll pick it up again in the offseason.

Was kinda hoping that Chief would be pick it up at some point in the near future in regards to a rewrite of the sim for python, but if that doesn't eventuate I'll pick it up again in the offseason.
Yes we haven't been able to get to this.

1591255966980.png

33. A past AFL player will on a list
Whoops I'm releasing these about as slowly as frequently as the Roys scored in the last quarter last week... This one is a longshot, but here goes.

BigFooty is slowly gaining more media information (recently for a story which brahj managed to break before all of the major news networks.) and if my 36th prediction comes true the Sweet F.A. will hit the MSM one day hopefully garnering an influx in posting and a new crop of rookies. Footy players on BigFooty aren't unheard of with a few players coming in and doing Q+As.

On the Hawthorn board a few years ago there was a slightly controversial figure who ended up being Billy Hartung's father. BigFooty is certainly not unknown within the AFL world and I think that as unrealistic as it is to predict that in the past 5 years we will have a past AFL player in our ranks that it might happen. I think the most likely case is that said poster won't reveal their identity for obvious reasons. I feel like Qooty is appealing enough and that eventually a footy player will stumble upon/be introduced to the board.

This prediction is pretty lacklustre, but it has a question attached to it. If you could have one former AFL player on your list, who would it be and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back