Past #40: Thomas Murphy - delisted after 8 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Murph

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be a seriously good player in 4-5 years..

For his body size, he's a bloody good athlete.

When you couple that with his footskills, he will become a mainstay in the best 22 as early as next year imo.

With a 2 year contract extension will we need to upgrade Murphy off the rookie list at seasons end? I assume it isn't a 2 year extension of his rookie contract

I think we can commit to doing it next year... Zurhaar got a contract extension last year.

Yeah but Zurhaar has his rookie contract extended by a year, this article doesn't mention rookie/senior list.

I'd assume rookie. He doesn't have a senior contract so we can't extend one. We'll know on draft day I guess.

I like Murphy. Reminds me a little of Nicky Dal the way he moves. Hope he turns out as good!
He's already a better kick and has at least 1 spoil to his name, so in front there too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Future is bright at North.

An enlightened rookie pick.

We definitively need to pull of more of these late draft / rookie picks for sustained success.

We only need 1 a year to work out for us and we will be sailing. Zurhaar last year now Murphy.

I’m stoked about this extension, he has a lot of upside and we are desperate for this type of player coming of half back.

new article about Tom Murphy on the North site. To think we only had him signed on for a year! Gaagh! Glad we got the Extendo-contract signed post-haste.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-08-09/murphys-mature-head

Murphy's Mature Approach
Brock Ellis August 9, 2018 11:51 AM

The emergence of Tom Murphy has become one of the feel-good stories for North Melbourne this season.

The fleet-footed defender, who was recruited with Pick 4 in last year’s Rookie Draft, has fast-tracked his development in the royal blue and white, earning a surprise call-up to the senior side earlier this year.

Only the good form of his fellow, more senior defenders is making it tough to break back in.

“I’m not surprised about his development,” Development Manager Ben Dyer told North Media.

“From the moment he came in, he’s been really coachable and really diligent. He’s a good example of not mattering where you’ve been taken in the draft, but more so what you do when you get here.

“It’s always good to see those examples of kids that come in as rookies but end up getting an opportunity.”

The 20-year-old was initially secured on a one-year contract, before a decision was made to reinvest in the rookie after just four games.

Dyer believes the experience of playing at AFL-level has allowed Murphy to take major strides.

“After playing at that level, he appears to be a lot more confident,” he explained.

“Especially in helping and directing other players out on the ground, including the other defenders. You can see this in terms of getting our setups right and his confidence to instruct other players with where to run.

“If he goes up to AFL level and does well, I think that instils confidence in his ability when he gets back.

“You’ll always try your best to hold your spot, but that isn’t always the case when a player comes back.

“The main thing is that you treat it as an opportunity to get better and experience the game at that level. I’m sure if you asked him at the start of the year if he wanted to play some AFL footy, he would’ve said yes.

“I reckon he would’ve really appreciated the chance that he got. Pleasingly, he didn’t look out of place.”

Part of Murphy’s success has been the 20-year-old’s ability to perform under tough and uncompromising conditions, which go hand-in-hand with playing on a variety of grounds in regional Victoria.

“We’re lucky at AFL level to play a lot of games under the roof,” he added.

“It’s good grounding for the guys in the VFL to adapt in that way, playing in those different conditions. It’s the same when travelling interstate and adapting your routine.

“They’re all little things that help with players development.”

With the rookie defender continuing to impress in his debut season, it seems another opportunity is just around the corner.

“I think he’s a penetrating kick and he’s got the ability to turn defence into offence,” Dyer added.

“When he sees the right option and hits it. When you look at our AFL team, that’s an area that we need to develop in, especially in that part of the ground.

“Although he’s done a lot of work on it this year, it’s a strength he brought in when he got drafted. It’s certainly made him stand out at VFL level.”

090818_MurphyLarge.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of those rare instances in which you watch his TAC Cup highlights, see his size/shape and think "how come he only went in the rookie draft?" and have your instincts proved exactly right as he debuts within a month or so and proceeds to show more than 90% of his more touted counterparts throughout the year.

“When he sees the right option and hits it. When you look at our AFL team, that’s an area that we need to develop in, especially in that part of the ground."

Never a truer word spoken.
Best kick at the club, called it from the 'borough months ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back